Injector cleaner, will it work?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Injector cleaner, will it work? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi My 36k mile 1994 DeVille has kinda rough idle, according to the shop manual the only cause of this ...
    Lars Langoy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Allante

Injector cleaner, will it work?

Hi

My 36k mile 1994 DeVille has kinda rough idle, according to the shop manual the only cause of this is clogged injectors.
    Not unlikeliy since the PO was 70 when he purchased the car and had it until his passing this spring, I guess only litle trips to the mall has been made.
    So the big Q is if the liquid injector cleaners will work, or if another approach must be made?

Regards
    Lars

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Re: Injector cleaner, will it work?

First I would check for codes using off + warmer and see if it gives you a idea. I do not think clogged injectors are the only cause of a rough idle. Anything that makes the cylinders not fire right could cause it; including clogged injectors, worn out spark plugs or wires, or a old distributor cap to name a few. Cleaning them is worth a try if you feel like it, but I wouldn't rule everything else out and stay focused on the injectors if it doesn't work

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

While ther may not be many miles on them, the wires ARE 15 years old.

Thank you guys, I will check the codes.
    If the codes does not give me any hint it might only need some
    distanse driving, I guess small trips is not the best.
    I already replaced the plugs, wires, rotor and cap.

Regards
    Lars
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Cabillac/1994SEDANDeVILLE#
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Cabillac/1975SedanDeVille#
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Cabillac/PreviousOwnedCars#

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

It could be fuel system related such as weak pressure or clogged injectors. I would dump a small bottle of the Lucas Fuel Treatment ("tune-up in a bottle") and see if it helps--that is the best injector cleaner that I've tried then have a shop check for fuel pressure at the rail, replace fuel filter, etc., if problems persist. I would also consider ignition problems since weak spark can produce the same symptoms. Did you gap the plugs or put them in blind?

Hi

The plugs was supposed to be ungapped, it was bosch platinium with the four points, but it had roug idle prior to all of the parts replacements.
    I replaced the fuel filter today and purchased a bottle of STP injector cleaner, I will take a hour or so roadtrip next week.

Thanks
    Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Langoy View Post
    Hi

The plugs was supposed to be ungapped, it was bosch platinium with the four points, but it had roug idle prior to all of the parts replacements.
    I replaced the fuel filter today and purchased a bottle of STP injector cleaner, I will take a hour or so roadtrip next week.

Thanks
    Lars
    That may be your problem. I'd tank 'em and use A/C Delco plugs. You would not be the first to report problems after using Bosch plugs.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 FWD fleetwood, '93 fleetwood Bro

He had the problem before the plug change though. Really can't understand why Bosch plugs would not work right,
    even though folks have had problems with them.

Hi all

Had the Cad for a 100 mile road trip to see if the injectors would clear up.
    After like two hr of driving the engine started to really behave bad and at some point the Service Engine Now came on for app 10 seconds.
    When I finally got home I read the codes, I got: P041 History (No Cam Reference Signal from Ignition Control Module).
    I am positive the code is new, I checked the codes like a couple of weeks ago and there was none.
    So now I have another problem to solve and maybe this also caused the rough idle.

Maybe the hall effect switch has been your problem all along.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Langoy View Post
    Hi all

Had the Cad for a 100 mile road trip to see if the injectors would clear up.
    After like two hr of driving the engine started to really behave bad and at some point the Service Engine Now came on for app 10 seconds.
    When I finally got home I read the codes, I got: P041 History (No Cam Reference Signal from Ignition Control Module).
    I am positive the code is new, I checked the codes like a couple of weeks ago and there was none.
    So now I have another problem to solve and maybe this also caused the rough idle.
    Take the ICM to Advance Autoparts. They have equipment to check it out. It is a $20 easy to remove and install. Do not forget thermoconductive grease, you should apply when installing the module. Some ICM come with packed grease.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Check the wires and connectors inside the distributor that go to the cam sensor. They get brittle over time and will fall apart in your hands. The code is history so that means the ECM didnt receive a signal from the sensor for 5 seconds or more on a previous ignition cycle. If the engine is running rough while the code is not current, than the cam sensor is probably not causing it. Bad injectors are an all too common issue on these cars.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 FWD fleetwood, '93 fleetwood Bro

Sometimes a car that has set around a lot has more problems than one that is driven regularly.

One of my partners bought an Olds Cutless for his daughter that was 15 years old, extremely low miles, with the original tires, belts,hoses etc on it. All that stuff failed of course, and other things, within a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Maybe the hall effect switch has been your problem all along.
    Hi
    Is it possible to replace the hall effect switch without pulling the distributor?
    The P041 code is History, but I guess bad contact will cause the problems as well?

I think it is, but never had to do it so see what someone who has has to say.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.