Low speed hesitation on pull away. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Low speed hesitation on pull away. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by elwesso If you take off that TB, I promise you the car wont be going anywhere!!! That ...
    frankh is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cool Re: Clean the EGR tubes

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    If you take off that TB, I promise you the car wont be going anywhere!!!

That could also cause other, non-TB related strife.....

Just make sure you clean out that plenum as best you can before you put the TB back on...... You may have to rig up a rag on a dowel of some sort, but it will be worth it...... it will make a difference of night and day!!!!
    Years ago I rebuilt some carbourators (Carter 4160s as I recall) but I've never handled a TB. Is there a gasket between the TB and the Plenum that I need to replace just because I removed the TB? Are there gasket/seal kits I need to or should get ?

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: Clean the EGR tubes

You will need a gasket from the TB to plenum...... They are paper, and if they rip your screwed.... Sometimes you may not need it, but better safe then sorry..... Thats about it for TB removal....

Talking Re: Clean the EGR tubes

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    You will need a gasket from the TB to plenum...... They are paper, and if they rip your screwed.... Sometimes you may not need it, but better safe then sorry..... Thats about it for TB removal....
    I decided to just take a look under the air cleaner inlet thing to get the lay of the land so to speak. I jiggled a few tubes a bit an lo and behold, there is a small diameter steel tube that feeds vacuum into the transmission (probably something to do with load sensing for shift points). This tube is about 1/8" dia. at most. The upper end fits into another steel tube comming out of the TB. The end of the 'goes into" tube is flared, BUT the only thing holding it in place and (theretically sealing the connection) is a piece of rubber tubing over both tubes, about 1" long! No clamps, spring locks, nothing, nada, nil... even though the diameter of the tubes are different (remember, one goes into the other). It was stiff but could be turned. So.... I am thinking this may be the source of the vacuum leak and possibly have something to do with a bit of the slight harshness of the 1 - 2 upshift. Its worth a try to at least replace this little piece of rubber hose before doing much else. It certainly can't hurt. When I'm ready to tackle the TB removal, I'll get the gasket (just in case). Is this a dealer only item or can I get it at an auto parts place? The Cadillac parts department closes at 5PM and they are not open on weekends, so getting parts from them is problematic. Look forward to any comments you may have.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Im not sure what you are saying...... so post a picture of this thing yo are talking about.......

Also... I think you could get the gasket at an autoparts store..... might as well check, and if not, cadillac dealer is the next best......

If you want to get it done and dont want to go to any dealer, you could get that gasket material and make your own make shift one until the dealer is open.......

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

im getting ready to take my TB off and do my EGR , got the gasket at NAPA for like 5 bucks and the EGR for 65 (gasket included) , found the vaccum gauge today but i wont be able to look at the car till tomorrow (damned deed restrictions)

fixed my oil leaks today too , seems there are two fittings for pipes that go into the oil filter got one full turn out of boath , might be something else to look at while your in there to keep you driveway clean , you know how ladys get when things start marking there territory around the house

Smile Re: Clean the EGR tubes

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy
    im getting ready to take my TB off and do my EGR , got the gasket at NAPA for like 5 bucks and the EGR for 65 (gasket included) , found the vaccum gauge today but i wont be able to look at the car till tomorrow (damned deed restrictions)

fixed my oil leaks today too , seems there are two fittings for pipes that go into the oil filter got one full turn out of boath , might be something else to look at while your in there to keep you driveway clean , you know how ladys get when things start marking there territory around the house
    I won't get a chance to get under the hood untill next weekend at best. Will try to get gasket in meantime. I think the earlier fix on the vacuum leak I mentioned seems to have helped considerably. My little digital camera (a freebie from Comcast) is not adequate to take a decent picture of the tube I'm talking about. I'll try again to describe it. There is a steel vacuum line coming from something attached to the transmission. It is no more than 1/8" OD and is flared at about 1/2" from its end. This flared end goes into a steel vacuum line coming out of the side of the TB just slightly (3/8") above the level of the gasket. This tube has an ID just a bit bigger than the OD of the other line that goes into in. The only thing holding these to tubes together is a short piece of thick walled rubber tubing whose ID is just about the same as the OD of the larger (receiving ) steel tube. The rubber tube is movable and so there is no good seal, hence vacuum leak. I repositioned it so that a tighter fit resulted and the hesitation seems to have improved greatly. Will first replace this little rubber tube, put some spring clips on each end and see if the improvement is permanent.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

i fixed that tube today , that line broke on me. so i took a small bit of the vaccum line that fits the small tube to the tranny , slipped it on the tube , then on the big side i ran the larger vaccum line that fits the fitting on the throttle body out of it and over the section of small vaccum line , works good

i read 15 inches of vaccum after doing the EGR valve and various vaccum line that shatterd on me dureing the job

also , do you know where the EGR soleniod is ? if so im confused about it , on mine i have only one line that goes to the egr on the top outlet and nothing on the bottom outlet (ive plugged this one) i still have the supply line on the other side of the sloeinoid but i have 2 outlets and have no clue which of the 2 outlets the egr line is supposed to be on , top or bottom ... i took pic of this too if i seem to be rambeling and i have pics of the line your talkin about if you would like me to post them

i need a beer

caddypimp93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cool Re: Low speed hesitation on pull away.

my buddy had the same problem with his 93 seville 4.9, it turned out to be a transmission problem, it was actually launching in second, it needed about 2k RPM to get goin but it felt fine once it was out on the highway, it turned out to be a solenoid inside the tranny, i dont know if this is your problem but, have it checked out...

aguthmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 1998 Seville STS, 2001 Seville SLS

Thumbs up Re: Clean the EGR tubes

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy

I turned one of those lines 1-2 turns at around 100,000 on mine when it was leaking oil. The other line was loose too. I'd say that could very well be a trouble spot. I'd agree with checking them for the heck of it.

Hep
    Hep is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Low speed hesitation on pull away.

I've posted about a similar issue on my 95 4.9. Finally took the time to clean the throttle body and it seemed to to the trick.

CLEAN THAT THROTTLE BODY, post back with your results, I've read about several other owners with a similar symptom. I'm sure we would all like to know.

HippieD9 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Low speed hesitation on pull away.

I'm not so sure about that throttle body idea... Mine is clean as new and I have the same problem. Brand new injectors too. I'm leaning towards the trans, these weren't really meant to go behind a 300 ft/lb 8cyl. Let me know what you find man.

Peace,
    D.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.