Cadillac Deville 4.9l Engine Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Cadillac Deville 4.9l Engine Problem in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just finished getting my engine back together after having to put two helicoils into my rear head. Now that ...
    beveluv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Deville

Cadillac Deville 4.9l Engine Problem

I just finished getting my engine back together after having to put two helicoils into my rear head. Now that the engine is back together, when I attempt to start it, it does not turn over. Smoke comes out of my intake throttle body when attempting to start. Any ideas on what my issue may be, ways to troubleshoot, or issues that would cause this type of problem.

I numbered my spark plug wires so they are in the correct order
    I did not take the engine out of the car
    I was forced to take the distributor apart and put back together
    I replaced the water pump
    I replaced all gaskets down to the heads
    All head bolts, rocker arms were torqued to spec

Any ideas on where I should look or is it best to just take the engine back apart and see if anything broke from when I first attempted to start it? If I take everything apart and nothing is broken, I will be in the same place I'm in now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Cadillac Deville 4.9l Engine Problem

After a few more attempts to start, smoke no longer comes out of the throttle. The engine still will not turn over. It gives the dragging sound as if it has a bad battery. I had a friend give me a jump but that still did not help it to turn over. I think I'm going to pull the distributor cap apart and replace it. Please advise.

Thanks.

I just checked the codes from the dash climate control unit. It gave me the following

E52 - PCM Memory Reset (See Note)

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Very confusing post. When you say "wont turn over" to a mechanic, that means the engine does not revolve with the starter as if no battery was in the car. But if it wont turn over, why is smoke coming from the throttle body? If you mean it turns over but wont start then thats a whole different problem. You say you had to take the distributor apart. What beside the cap did you remove? Are you positive the distributor is correctly installed? With the crank pulley lined up to the marker, is the rotor pointing to number one in the cap? I think its turning over and because its out of time, intake fuel and air are coming up thru the throttle body and you see it as smoke. So, start with the basics. Verify distributor is correctly installed, second; verify the coil ground metal strap is under the coil where it sits in the cap, third verify you have proper fuel pressure? then report back. Code 52 means that the battery has been disconnected recently. So erase it. When you say dragging sound, to me that means, it turns over but wont start. Recharge the battery.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 FWD fleetwood, '93 fleetwood Bro

If you have the timing advanced quite a bit, the starter will have a hard time turning the engine over. Like carnut sez, check the timing, or retard it a bit and see if it wants to start.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Quote Originally Posted by steelybill View Post
    If you have the timing advanced quite a bit, the starter will have a hard time turning the engine over. Like carnut sez, check the timing, or retard it a bit and see if it wants to start.
    How does the ignition timing affect how hard it is for the starter to crank the engine?

It must be known whether it wont start or wont crank before we go down the wrong path here.

beveluv, did you remove the entire distributor from the engine or just the cap and rotor?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

How does the ignition timing affect how hard it is for the starter to crank the engine?
    If the timing is advanced too much, the starter is trying to turn the engine as the spark plugs fire well before TDC and try to push the piston back down.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Sevillian, he had the distributor out if he did the head gaskets. Can't pull the intake manifold without removing the distributor...

My money is on incorrect distributor install as well. Like posted, be sure the rotor points to #1 when the engine is at TDC, ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE.

I only removed the cap and rotor, but when disasembling other parts, the distributor did lift up a bit and I had to push it back down.

I was able to get the engine to start after ensuring that the rotor points to #1 when the engine is at TDC. Thanks for the help.

Now I can drive the car, but it doesnt seem to switch from 1st gear. I can tell because when I take my foot off of the gas from where the car is moving fast enought to be in gear 3, its as if rpm is to high. I also noticed that the speedometer and digital fuel guages on the dash does not work. There is one wire that I cannot find where it connects to. I'm guessing and hoping that once I find where it goes, it will correct both of these issues. Hopefully I can find where it goes.

I received the following codes:

P024 (E024) ..................................... Vehicle Speed Sensor signal to TCC
    P041 (E041) ................... No Cam Reference Signal from Ignition Control Module

So I am going to try to find the speed sensor signal now. Does anyone know off hand where its located?

I found the vehicle speed sensor mounted to the transaxle and it seems to be ok. I never had to disconnect it, so I dont suspect that this is causing my issue.

revdowrong is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 91 sedan deville

You may have a bad hall effect switch located in the distrubutor thats for the E 41. Also when adjusting the timing you must jump A and B on th ADL line under the ashtray. If not the computer will advance the timing.

Does anyone know for sure the order of the cam position sensor pins (Hall effect sensor)? The connector deteriorated when I disconnected it and I believe that I have the pins in the correct order but cant be 100% sure (revdowrong response leads me to this). Based on the book, if I have the pins incorrect, this could possibly cause the issue that I am experiencing.

Currently I have the pins connected from right to left:

1.black
    2.brown/white
    3.pink

The pink wire (power based on book) curves around to the opposite side of the connector

Does anyone know if this is correct.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

The speed sensor most likely IS causing your shifting issue. The computer uses the VSS and the TPS to determine shifts, along side the vacuum control modulator. The hall effect switch will not fix this, but will take care of teh code and a driveability hiccup I'm guessing the car has.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.