Cadillac Deville 4.9l Engine Problem - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Cadillac Deville 4.9l Engine Problem in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Thanks. I checked the fpr and found no signs of leaks. I pulled the hose and ensured that it was ...
    beveluv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Deville

Re: Cadillac Deville 4.9l Engine Problem

Thanks. I checked the fpr and found no signs of leaks. I pulled the hose and ensured that it was not clogged. I also pulled the egr hose and it was not clogged. I was only able to identify 1 hose for the egr valve (hose that goes into the top of the egr valve. Are there other passages that need to be checked underneath the egr valve? When I pulled the intake manifold, I cleaned the passages in it thoroughly. Are there other methods to test the fpr for leaks other than visual or using a pressure guage and vacuum pump, as I have not yet purchased those tools?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

If you pulled the vacuum hose from the FPR and no fuel was found, it is good.

The EGR tubes I was talking about are down in the TB bore. Open the throttle wide open (engine off) and they will be looking back at you, but it sounds like you already got them.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

You erased the cumulative gas mileage when the battery was disconnected. I'm assuming you are figuring the mileage based on the display? If so, then simply wait to gather more mileage. I use the instantaniuos mileage rather than the mileage over a long period by resetting the mileage every time I fill up.

Well people, I made my 600 mile trip with no problems except for gas consumption (3 complete tanks of gas to travel about 575 miles). Once I arrived and started the car the next day, problems started to occur. I have found that another headbolts threads have failed me. Instead of doing a third heli coil and possibly having to do another in the near future, I'm going to just replace the engine all together. I have 3 options:

Purchase used engine (found one with 59k for $745, free shipping, my car currently has 179k)
    Purchase a rebuilt engine (Unsure of cost)
    Purchase crate engine( prefered route because its like a new engine and I was told its less expensive than buying a new engine/Unsure of cost)

Any suggestions on which way I should go and where I may be able to find crate engines? I've never done an engine swap and hoping that this is quick and easy compared to rebuilding. I would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible since I have already spent money on rebuilding the current engine. I am also going to be working on this the week of Christmas, so the less work, the better. This is why I prefer an engine swap and not just purchase a new block (I would expect less problems with a swap, possibly will correct my gas consumption issue).

Your suggestions are appreciated!!

4th option is to treat it like a Northstar, pull the heads and do all the bolt holes rather than waiting for them to fail one by one.

Yes, I thought about that option as well. My thoughts were that installing helicoils in all of the headbolt holes would increase the chances of a helicoil failure (noting that several people on this site suggested timeserts over helicoils, but I made the alternate, unpopular decision, hoping that the helicoils would hold up). If a helicoil failed after doing all of the holes, I would have again waisted my time. This would also be time consuming and I have a short timescale to work with as my car is 600 miles away from my house. I am looking for a permanent fix (at least last me 18 months) that would get me back and forth from Florida to NC to visit family at lease a couple times a year. I think an engine swap of some type would be the permanent fix, which is why my options listed only consisted of engine swaps. Great suggestion, but I dont think I am able to take another risk and I would still have to pull the engine to get to all of the holes to install the helicoils.

I agree. Personally I would have gone with Timeserts if I was going the repair route. I don't think I would trust a Helicoil for that much torque. Barring that, I'd go the used engine route. Is this from a junk yard? They all seem to have 60K on them.

This from a site I found on the internet:

http://www.uneedapart.com/

I think I am going with a used engine to ensure that all external parts are an exact fit. There seems to be several types of the same engine model. Any ideas on how to ensure that the engine is an exact replacement. The engine that I found with 59k for $750 shipped states that its for VIN B. There is no B at the beginning on my VIN (if this it what it means). My VIN starts with 1G6CD. I'm sure that its important to get the exact same engine. Anyone know how engine types can be verified?

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

You will be fine with any 4.9 regardless of year or model. There weren't many changes. The few that there were you will be able to work with.

For example, all sevilles and eldorado's as well as post '94 devilles came with 2 oxygen sensors instead of one like some of the earlier devilles such as yours. You would have to transfer the rear exhaust manifold if this is the case (or plug the o2 bung on the junkyard unit).The oil dipstick tube changed on some models as well. 1991 models will have a 2-plug injector harness. Post-'91 had a single connector. Off the top of my head, that is all I can think of.

Has anyone ever used ALLDATAdiy.com for manual information? I am trying to find an FSM so that I will know what is required to pull my engine, but have yet to find one. Do you think I'll need it since I already know how to pull the engine apart from my HSM? I found the attdatadiy.com site and they charge about $20.00 a year. Sounds reasonable if it will have conclusive information pertaining to my engine swap coming soon. I'll continue looking on ebay.

Sub uses alldatadiy and is happy with it. He recommends it all the time. It is basically an online version of the FSM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.