1993 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L Distributor Shot
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1993 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L Distributor Shot in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; So for the past 6 months to a year, I have had a slight misfire (more of a car jerk ...
  1. #1
    rumgool is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Deville Sixty Special Edition
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    22

    1993 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L Distributor Shot

    So for the past 6 months to a year, I have had a slight misfire (more of a car jerk at idle speeds) turn into a nasty misfire accompanied by vibration and poor fuel economy. I also get poor acceleration but occasionally, it will run fine. I'd say 1/15 times I drive it. I had a diagnostic done at tires plus and they said my distributor needed to be replaced... well, they said to start with the distributor, but it might also be the PCM. Apparently the miss is on the #3 cylinder, and the distributor shows no pulse generation with a scanner hooked up. I am debating spending $150 on a new distributor or buying a used one on ebay out of a 1992 deville for $30 with a 6 month warranty. Basically, how likely is it that if I buy a used distributor, it will die within a year?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    HUF's Avatar
    HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    MA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,997

    Re: 1993 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L Distributor Shot

    Any trouble codes? Replacing PCM is easier than distributor. I would start with PCM.

  4. #3
    rumgool is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Deville Sixty Special Edition
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    22

    Re: 1993 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L Distributor Shot

    Yes... E23,E30,E41,E48,E53,E62 and F31... The first 5 lead me to assume its the distributor... and the F31 is because I just replaced the fuel data center... and E62 is just the cruise control... I had an electrical shortage that took out the entire electronic console (AC, speedometer, odometer, and fuel data center), which was fixed about 6 months ago and I just replaced the fuel data center last weekend, enabling me to finally pull codes. That is when I took it to the dealer to scan it and check it out. Could it just be the PCM not correctly contolling my distributor?

  5. #4
    HUF's Avatar
    HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    MA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,997

    Re: 1993 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L Distributor Shot

    Quote Originally Posted by rumgool View Post
    Yes... E23,E30,E41,E48,E53,E62 and F31... The first 5 lead me to assume its the distributor... and the F31 is because I just replaced the fuel data center... and E62 is just the cruise control... I had an electrical shortage that took out the entire electronic console (AC, speedometer, odometer, and fuel data center), which was fixed about 6 months ago and I just replaced the fuel data center last weekend, enabling me to finally pull codes. That is when I took it to the dealer to scan it and check it out. Could it just be the PCM not correctly contolling my distributor?
    Actually only E41 and E53 are distributor-related...

  6. #5
    Sevillian273's Avatar
    Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Palm Bay, FL
    Posts
    2,022

    Re: 1993 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L Distributor Shot

    Quote Originally Posted by rumgool View Post
    I also get poor acceleration but occasionally, it will run fine. I'd say 1/15 times I drive it.
    That's exactly how my car ran when I had E041. For me it turned out to be the ECM but check the cam sensor first.

  7. #6
    rumgool is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Deville Sixty Special Edition
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    22

    Re: 1993 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L Distributor Shot

    Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    Actually only E41 and E53 are distributor-related...

    Well, yes, but couldn't the others be related? And as far as checking out the cam sensor first... how do I go about that?

  8. #7
    Sevillian273's Avatar
    Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Palm Bay, FL
    Posts
    2,022

    Re: 1993 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L Distributor Shot

    I suggest you buy a Haynes manual for your car and a digital voltmeter so you can perform the tests on the sensor to see if it is bad. Are all your codes current? If not, clear them and see which ones come back... A current E041 has a profound effect on driveability regardless of everything else. You gotta take it one code at a time...

    I can post the diagnostic trouble tree from the factory service manual for diagnosing E41 tomorrow as soon as I get a chance. You will nee a DVM though at the very least to perform the tests.

    If you do your own work, buying a digital voltmeter is a great idea and will pay for itself in short order.

  9. #8
    HUF's Avatar
    HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    MA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,997

    Re: 1993 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L Distributor Shot

    Quote Originally Posted by Sevillian273 View Post
    I suggest you buy a Haynes manual for your car and a digital voltmeter so you can perform the tests on the sensor to see if it is bad. Are all your codes current? If not, clear them and see which ones come back... A current E041 has a profound effect on driveability regardless of everything else. You gotta take it one code at a time...

    I can post the diagnostic trouble tree from the factory service manual for diagnosing E41 tomorrow as soon as I get a chance. You will nee a DVM though at the very least to perform the tests.

    If you do your own work, buying a digital voltmeter is a great idea and will pay for itself in short order.
    Why Haynes when Factory Service Manuals are available on eBay for next to nothing?

  10. #9
    Sevillian273's Avatar
    Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Palm Bay, FL
    Posts
    2,022

    Re: 1993 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L Distributor Shot

    Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    Why Haynes when Factory Service Manuals are available on eBay for next to nothing?
    Because he can run down to the store and pick one up TODAY. It's like a 'quick reference' guide for the FSM. Not to judge the OP, but some people just want their problem solved as simply as possible. Alot of folks around here have BOTH books but still they want you to spell it out for them!

    I use my Haynes for little things like torque specs and voltage values for testing sensors and such... But nothing compares to the trouble trees in the FSM.

  11. #10
    marty132 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 elderodo
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1

    Re: 1993 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L Distributor Shot

    i had a miss like you said i found the the plastic on the under side of the cap wear the screws that hold down the coil had broken away and causeing a miss ....every time the rotor would roate by the screw it would fire on the screw just a though....good luck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting