4.9 liter question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 liter question in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Can you tell me " Who" makes the 4.9 liter engine ? How many horse power it has in stock ...
    Dondo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question 4.9 liter question

Can you tell me " Who" makes the 4.9 liter engine ?

How many horse power it has in stock form ?

What improvements can be done to enhance performance ?

What is the average gas mileage of this engine ?

What Caddy's can they be found in ?

And last what are the strong points,,, AND,, weak points of this motor ?

I am still learning ,, I use to be with Chevy,, switched to Ford,,,Crown Vic's,, so I am use to a big car, but I want something that has performance and trust worthy ,,,but looking to come back to GM products !!

Thanks in advance guys

Dondo

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Andrew60SP is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 Sixty Special

Re: 4.9 liter question

I believe Cadillac makes the engine as it is only used by them, but I could be wrong.

Stock, its rated at 200HP@ 4100RPM and 275lb-ft @ 3000RPM.

Not much in terms of performance mods. I know of k&n air filter and a chip.

Mileage is rated at 16 city / 25MPG hiway.

They are found in 91-95 Devilles (Not the 94-95 Concours though),
    91-93 FWD Fleetwoods and 60 Specials, and 91-93 Sevilles and Eldorados (Not the 93 Touring models though).

Some strong points are its fairly good reliability and good low end power. There are some threads about the miles these motors have been able to rack up.

Some weaker points are its thirst for premium, and some people experience a rough idle.

I'm sure there are more points about the engine. Hopefully others will chime in on them. Also, check out the pushrod forum for some more info.

HTH

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

...moved to the Pushrod section...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

2dfx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac DeVille

To answer your question about manufacturer, just look under your hood! Give the air cleaner a read!

"4.9 Litre Made Exclusively by Cadillac"

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Quote Originally Posted by 2dfx
    To answer your question about manufacturer, just look under your hood! Give the air cleaner a read!

"4.9 Litre Made Exclusively by Cadillac"
    actually, it's "made exclusively for Cadillac by General Motots" so it is made by GM (duh) but for Cadillac. the only other 4.9 300cid engine I know about is the Ford, but that is a stright-6 ( a big one at that) used in earl-mid 80's Broncos and I guess some trucks.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

there was a GM 301 or 4.9 in the late 70s , these were fitted with turbos and placed int he "turbo trans am " but the bore and stroke are completely diffrent , only a handfull of engines in cadillacs werent devolped by cadillac :

the 350 diesel caddy : desinged and built by oldsmolbile and detroit diesel used int he early 80s

catera : opel engine with some cadillac massageing

2nd gen esclade , 6 litre gm truck engine also given some attention by cadillac

the 4.9 is a odd ball engine for GM , aluminum block with iron heads , only used in transverse mounted fwd caddys

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    I get better mileage than 16 and 25. I'm getting easily 19 or 20 city (is my computer wrong?) and up to 35 on a flat highway with the cruise on. I could not be more happier with the gas mileage, however, the cost of premium is another thing! I have a slight rough idle, but that may be the plugs. There are knowledgable tech people on this forum, and the 4.9 has been called the "best engine Cadillac ever made!" I agree!

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    I get better mileage than 16 and 25. I'm getting easily 19 or 20 city (is my computer wrong?) and up to 35 on a flat highway with the cruise on. I could not be more happier with the gas mileage, however, the cost of premium is another thing! I have a slight rough idle, but that may be the plugs. There are knowledgable tech people on this forum, and the 4.9 has been called the "best engine Cadillac ever made!" I agree!
    About your milage. You have to consider in ALOT of things that would have an effect on your milage. What is the terain like where you live. Is there a lot of hills or is it flat. Better gas milage when its flat. What type of gas do you run? Do you beat the shit out of your car? Do you use cruise control? City? How often do you start and stop. How many lights do you wait at? I have gotten 13 mpg in philly with careful driving traffic sucked then also when going other places i have gotten as high as 30ish.

2dfx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by JJhomer83
    About your milage. You have to consider in ALOT of things that would have an effect on your milage. What is the terain like where you live. Is there a lot of hills or is it flat. Better gas milage when its flat. What type of gas do you run? Do you beat the shit out of your car? Do you use cruise control? City? How often do you start and stop. How many lights do you wait at? I have gotten 13 mpg in philly with careful driving traffic sucked then also when going other places i have gotten as high as 30ish.
    I've gotten no more than 22 highway and i'm kinda pissed off. I've been chasing the reason why I get such piss-poor gas mileage and I've nailed it down to either the fuel injectors or the EGR system.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    in the summer, around town with more 45-55mph driving, AC on, or windows down I get 18-19mpg, this time of year (cold, shorter distance, not as long, run heat etc..) it is down to 16-17..... when I went up to Albany, I had the sruice set at 72 and AC on and was getting 27mpg, if I set it to 76 or so, I think I may be able to break 30.......

overall, I am happy with the millage of my car, I do have a rough idel, but most 4.9's do, other that that, so far it has been a good engine....just want even more power

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by JJhomer83
    Nope, the terrain here is in the prairies, so it is about as flat as your ex-girlfriend. Not a single hill or mountain in site. Only run premium, I have to or it knocks like Mike Tyson in the ring. I never beat the shit out of it I pamper it like a newborn baby. I always use cruise control on the highway, never in the city unless I have to pull up my underwear. If you are getting 13 with careful driving, I sympathize. I got better mileage with my 1970 Plymouth in highschool, no offence. I try to pretend there is an egg under my right foot, that should save some juice. Then again when there is a smug punk in a Civic beside me (who thinks he is cool because he saw that movie) I have to show him who the Boss is. Even after the occasional stoplight fun, my "avg. mpg" is 18 or so in the city, otherwise it's good. I agree, there are a lot of factors, including the state of tune.

92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

It's like any other V8 car or truck. Keep your foot out of it and you can save a little more fuel.
    Put your foot in it and it will take big swigs from the gas tank.
    Drive conservatively and use cruise control on the freeway and it will knock down close to 30 mpg.
    Even city driving with a light foot will get you close to 20 mpg.
    These numbers are assuming the engine is in good tune of course.
    Probably the best gas mileage you're going to get from a V8, especially an old school V8.
    Sometimes I get so tempted to make the front end jump from all the torque this engine makes.
    Enjoy!

92_Seville_89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 seville STS

the torque is really good, and -yes- it is exactly like 92eldotc said

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.