Da Capts Back with his 4.9 Fiero lots of updates - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Da Capts Back with his 4.9 Fiero lots of updates in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I think your car is the best looking of the 4.9 Fieros, I love the front bumper. What color do ...
    Ghost C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special

Re: Da Capts Back with his 4.9 Fiero lots of updates

I think your car is the best looking of the 4.9 Fieros, I love the front bumper. What color do you plan on painting it?

Capt Fiero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

So Car-2-Lo (my car designer) did some more tweaking . I only wish that I could build the car as fast as he tweaks it.

The colour will be black and white same as the previous car. I kept most of the previous car to build this one, right down to the same interior, doors, hood, even the keys are the same keys.

I think in order to get the car to live up to the last pic, I would need a really big Turbo and a nitrous kit. (still would not need the chute though, as chutes are not required until you reach 9 seconds or 150mph in the quarter mile) However the wheelie bars, hmmmm I do need to find a good use for those cutouts and I think Car2Lo nailed it right on the head.

Ok so I managed to blow up my 4.9 with a bit too much nitrous. It was only a 100hp shot, but I was not retarding the timing and I was bottle launching it which I should have known better but I did it anyways. In the end, I ended up with a water pocket in the cooling system that stalled the water pump, and it overheated on the highway, so badly that it started to seize up the motor.

I had the car parked for almost a year trying to decide what to do with it. Then about 6 months ago, I stumbled on a shop in Washington state that does modifications to Fiero's epically 4.9 and 3800 SC Fiero's. They were/are designing a prototype intake for the 4.9 that would blow the Allante intake out of the water. They had yet to put it on a car, and offered me a special deal. I can't say how much as the price is not publicly set yet, but we decided to go a bit beyond just the intake.

The total package was the intake with a Northstar Throttle Body, steel rocker support beams, a Delta Performance Cam, 3" exhaust, new Crossover Pipe, new high flow Muffler. The intake manifold was modified and bored out, as was the ports on the heads.

So lots more air in and lots more air out. The motor revs cleanly to 6000rpms now which makes me happy. I am going to pick the car up from the Shop tomorrow. It has been there getting all this work done for 3 months.

He has also re-done the computer program to take advantage of the new setup.

Now for the real reason I am here updating this thread, FOY says this is the TB from the 94 Northstar motor and it is supposed to use the same Idle Control Motor as the stock 4.9 intake. Do you happen to know the diameter of the stock 4.9 TB vs this Northstar TB? I realize that diameter may not be the question I need to ask, so how bout flow, anyone know how much air the 4.9 TB moves vs a 94 Northstar TB? I have included some pics that he has sent me over the last few days. I have some video as well if anyone wants to hear what a 4.9 reving with 3" exhaust and a big cam and intake sound like.

Here are the pics I copied from FOY's build thread on my car with the custom intake.

------------------
    857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

That looks like a high rpm config - 'short-ram' style, 'circle track' etc. Pretty cool. I wonder what the plenum is like inside? I think a slightly worked Allante intake would be better on the street, but I suppose in a Fiero you already have more torque than you know what to do with!

I know that the 90's chevy 4.3's use the same bore diameter in their throttle bodies since I've see aftermarket TB spacers on 4.9's before. Might wanna browse the 4.3 enthusiast realms for flow information. Good to see you Fiero guys are keeping the spark alive for 4.9 'performance'. Been watching this thread for years - good stuff. Gotta say I'm damn impressed your motor took that hit like a champ. I would have expected nothing less than shrapnel out of that one!

Ghost C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special

That's an interesting looking intake setup, glad to see you decided to stick with the 4.9. If you're still working on the motor, you might want to consider dropping in N* pistons while you've got it apart. Now that the N* pistons can be bought for less than 4.9 pistons from Summit, I intend to add them to this ever-growing pile of parts I'm amassing for when I rebuild, well... my entire car pretty much.

Make sure you post pics of the build/vids of that thing in action, I'm interested to see how it sounds and how much power you get out of it.

Edit: Just read the build thread on PFF. Hope everything works out OK for you and the car.

As for the flow question, I swear I used to know what the stock 4.9 TB flows, but I can't find that info for the life of me now. I believe I got the flow # from a calculator somewhere, so you might try to google and find one and punch in the #'s for the two TB's. It might not be perfectly accurate but should at least give you a rough estimate of the differences.

caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Fiero View Post
    Ok so I managed to blow up my 4.9 with a bit too much nitrous. It was only a 100hp shot, but I was not retarding the timing and I was bottle launching it which I should have known better but I did it anyways. In the end, I ended up with a water pocket in the cooling system that stalled the water pump, and it overheated on the highway, so badly that it started to seize up the motor.

I had the car parked for almost a year trying to decide what to do with it. Then about 6 months ago, I stumbled on a shop in Washington state that does modifications to Fiero's epically 4.9 and 3800 SC Fiero's. They were/are designing a prototype intake for the 4.9 that would blow the Allante intake out of the water. They had yet to put it on a car, and offered me a special deal. I can't say how much as the price is not publicly set yet, but we decided to go a bit beyond just the intake.

The total package was the intake with a Northstar Throttle Body, steel rocker support beams, a Delta Performance Cam, 3" exhaust, new Crossover Pipe, new high flow Muffler. The intake manifold was modified and bored out, as was the ports on the heads.

So lots more air in and lots more air out. The motor revs cleanly to 6000rpms now which makes me happy. I am going to pick the car up from the Shop tomorrow. It has been there getting all this work done for 3 months.

He has also re-done the computer program to take advantage of the new setup.

Now for the real reason I am here updating this thread, FOY says this is the TB from the 94 Northstar motor and it is supposed to use the same Idle Control Motor as the stock 4.9 intake. Do you happen to know the diameter of the stock 4.9 TB vs this Northstar TB? I realize that diameter may not be the question I need to ask, so how bout flow, anyone know how much air the 4.9 TB moves vs a 94 Northstar TB? I have included some pics that he has sent me over the last few days. I have some video as well if anyone wants to hear what a 4.9 reving with 3" exhaust and a big cam and intake sound like.

Here are the pics I copied from FOY's build thread on my car with the custom intake.

------------------
    857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.
    I live in Maple Ridge BC, PM me I would like to come see your car....I'm really itching to build a 4.9 fiero

I am out of the country dealing with my fathers estate, however will be back soon. I got the car from the shop and the job did not go as well as it was supposed to. (frankly it went really bad) After 3 motors blew up, I told him just give me the car back and I'll sort it out. All the modded parts are installed, except the steel rocker supports. It snapped the stock rocker supports from all the high revs and has nearly Zero oil pressure. I am getting 10psi at best and drops to under 5psi hot idle. I drove the car home and parked it, then left for Oregon. I have been here for the last 6 weeks and will only be back in BC for 5 days before I turn around and head back to Oregon. I bought a complete set of Allante Rockers and Rocker Support beams from California that are to be installed on the motor. However I won't have time to do the install on this trip to BC.

I may have a line on something you may be interested in. The mechanic that does our work on our Blazer has a partially completed 4.9 Fiero in his shop. Its actually his sons car but he has not worked on it for a year or more. They may be willing to sell it. From what I saw the 4.9 is hooked to a 3.65 Muncie 4spd Trans and mounted to the cradle, it just needs to be put into the car and wired up. I'll get the info to you when I get back. If you don't hear from me by the 20th of March, (4 days from now) drop me a reminder note as I am crazy busy and frankly may forget.

If you want to see my car, and can pop by on the 19th I can show you it to you. Drop me a PM or call me at 604-807-2623

David

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.