Performance?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Performance? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Does anyone know where I can find forged pistons etc.?????? I would like to beef up my 4.9 to boost ...
    87allante4.9swap is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 87 Allante 4.1 50 Ford Custom FHv8

Performance?

Does anyone know where I can find forged pistons etc.?????? I would like to beef up my 4.9 to boost it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rodya234 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala

Re: Performance?

Parts like forged pistons are not available for the 4.9, unless you want to have a set custom made which = $$$.

As for boost, you'd only really need to run 6-8psi to start making good power. My future plan for running a turbocharger is to just run 8psi (with a front mount) and just hope nothing goes seriously wrong. However, I wouldn't recommend this for most people because in the event that something does go horribly wrong I have at least two replacement 4.9's and three replacement trannys.

Either way, if the engine is in good condition it should be pretty tough. The weak link in the chain is the transmission though, it's going to be the first thing to receive love if I decide to run a turbo.

Yeah I was planning on 6 or 7 lbs. The only problem is the exhau$t. If I go with a cold air intake, an upgraded ignition system, headers and true duals, and a wet shot of nos(about 100 shot) most of my money will still be sent at the exhaust shop. LOL. It's looking like $$$ either way I go.

The only really bad choke points are the muffler (reverse flow sucks) and the exhaust manifolds. Unless you're trying to run at 6000rpm, the stock manifolds are fine for the amount of flow that will be coming out.

Thanks for all the advice. If I got more air flowing how would I get more fuel to match?

You would need to get a GM 2-bar MAP sensor (simple, plug and play part), some higher-flow injectors (injectors from the 5.0L Mustang are fully compatible) and maybe an auxiliary fuel pump. If you have some 30lb-hr injectors or so, then you could get away with not getting the aux pump, but they'd need to run at a higher duty cycle.

Some ECM tuning may also be required, but I'm not sure.

Ghost C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special

The most powerful 4.9 liter out there is running stock injectors, stock fuel pump, and stock fuel pressure regulator, it makes 300hp and about 400ft/lbs to the wheels on 7-8psi. The 4.9 is a very well built motor and will give you no problems as long as everything is put together properly, the owner of the above engine has put 400-500 1/4 mile passes on the engine, has gone through three or four transmissions and by his accounts the engine still looks unused internally. If you are going to tinker with air/fuel mixtures, I suggest the Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator and the Bosch 19lb injectors, along with wideband tuning.

30lb injectors would be extreme overkill. The 4.9 runs very rich to begin with, by adding more air you're balancing out this issue. My advice would be to concentrate more on more air and ignition, and add a narrowband air/fuel meter, which will alert you as to whether your engine is running too lean, but not much else (not good for tuning). If you find that after your mods your engine runs lean, that's when I would go to the Bosch injectors. Remember also that the Bosch injectors equate to 23 or 24lb/hr injectors because of the different measuring pressure between Ford and GM, so you need to upgrade to an adjustable FPR as well at the same time - And tune.

Nitrous is not as good of an idea as turbo. If you want to do something nobody has done, I would go supercharged. The perfect spot to put a centrifugal supercharger would be in place of the A/C compressor, and nobody would know it was there even when you popped the hood... Unless they looked hard.

19Eldorado90 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '90 Eldorado Biarritz

Who has the turbo 4.9 that you are talking about? My '90 Eldo Biarritz just turned 82K and it is time for more HP. I have saved the money to purchase the turbo, etc. and I have been researching the size of turbo that I'll need. If he has been running the stock injectors, fuel pump, and FPR, I am very interested to know how he is doing it. I have found a mask for the '90 PCM on Tunercats and Moates has some stuff to offer also. Somebody help me please as this is not a pipe dream, it's happening this summer.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Quote Originally Posted by 19Eldorado90 View Post
    I have found a mask for the '90 PCM on Tunercats
    Seriously? Who would take the time to make that for a 4.5L? Post teh link!

19Eldorado90 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '90 Eldorado Biarritz

Here you go.

http://www.tunercat.com/

Select: OBDI RT Tuner and chose Cadillac in the list at the top of the page. It says "new" and it is the first item in the Cadillac section.

Program ID: CD1 ECM Part # 16132240

Platform: 90 Cadillac LW2, 4.5L, V8 (ATTL)
    91 - 92 Allante LQ6 4.5L V8 (AUMF)

EPROM Type: 27C512

raymondlee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

a remote turbo would seem feasible

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

That's been done in a number of Fieros. I've never seen it done in a Caddy yet.

This one made 288hp and a whopping 349lb-ft at 3500rpm! http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/A...-1-023354.html

It wasn't easy nor cheap, however.

raymondlee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

nice

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.