Set timing mode problem!!!!! Please help! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Set timing mode problem!!!!! Please help! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; To be honest with you, get familiar with it before you try looking for a specific area. I'm not sure ...
    dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Re: Set timing mode problem!!!!! Please help!

To be honest with you, get familiar with it before you try looking for a specific area. I'm not sure how they have the index laid out, the FSM has sections listed in the front and a somewhat skimpy index in the back. Going back and reading your posts with the codes tells me you should be headed in the right direction looking at grounds and circuits. Don't forget to read the TSB's, sometimes there are things that pertain to your situation. It is possible you have a bad BCM, but go through the diagnostics trouble trees to confirm what is wrong with it instead of throwing parts at it. I'm sure there isn't an abundance of parts in Helsinki for a 92 STS.

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

the "set timing mode" means the ECM has been put into a special operating mode, usually this is done on purpose and shouldnt ever happen on its own.

I would guess bad ECM or a bad ground.

ehall, OP had the set timing mode problem, recent poster has body codes. Maybe a moderator should start a new thread beginning from post #7.

Arkisto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS 4,9

This has already been worth the money: www.alldatadiy.com There is everything. Lots of fixes for faults I haven't even noticed to be faults.. Factory has even given bulletins for this car this year..

Still the ultimate problem remains unsolved..

Grounds should be checked and cleaned, but the one near started G103 is a very tight space - dunno how to get there properly. Exhaust manifold can not be removed without a severe risk of damage because of the corrosion.

This problems seems to also drain the battery, there was only about 10V left, and that wasn't enough to start the car.

A new symptom that comes and goes is the rear-door windows and central locking system. Sometimes both of the rear-door window switches do not work - the window does then work from the driver-door. At the same time central locking system only locks the doors from the rear-doors. The driver-side doors ground to the same point as the IPC, and the passenger side to the same as PCM. Both sides however operate or don't operate at the same time - it seems that at least the grounding works on these two points.

The connectors to different modules can be corroded according to one bulletin from dec 2010, and the symptoms are irregular malfunctions on different systems. These connectors should be lubricated with a dielectric grease.

TPS is original smooth-backed model that a bulletin says should be replaced - it seems to work, but I dunno - could it be the source of this?

Basically it seems that I have three different possible faults;
    1. Bad PCM. Cause for it could be anywhere, or just in the PCM.
    2. Bad ground/connection somewhere
    3. Shortage somewhere

This can take some time.. :/

With the door switch problem you could remove the switch and use jumpers on the connectors that plug into the rocker switch that way you would know if there is a short or bad ground or bad switch. Sometimes those switches can be taken apart if you are careful.

I would definately change the TPS if it looks original and you are having problems with the TPS to ISC out of range. I have heard of people taking the ISC apart and cleaning it out, haven't tried that yet. Not sure what they have in your information, but there is a procedure that you can use to test the voltage from the TPS with a jumper harness. Don't expect to find that jumper harness, and you might be able to back probe the connector to get your readings, I have used thin paper clips to slip down between the seal and wire insulation. I made a harness from spare parts and harness end but doubt you have those resources there. I haven't heard of too many problems with PCM's but they do exist. I see STS in the salvage yard in my area frequently. It would be a crap shot but not sure if you can buy a reman PCM yet. There is also the possibility there could be a problem with the PROM in the PCM also. All of these things I hear of that fix problems with other people, I try to buy spare parts usually from a wreck as I figure it was less likely to have problems than a car that has little damage.

Yeah those billetins are real handy especially when they still issue them for cars that many years later.

Its been somewhat quiet with this project for awhile but now I'm working with the problem again.

This fault drains the battery - what can cause that? How to find?

Also the symptoms have changed a bit - now all the car starts, and idles ok. Until it stalls suddenly. When restarted everything seems ok again - this is new, because before this would involve "set timing mode" and other weird symptoms.

Grounds are checked - no problem there.

The computer gets now a little more than 14V to C16 and 2B1.

The computer has been opened, but left alone because it was heavily sprayed with some kind of plastic sealant to protect the components and solderings, so it would be very difficult to resolder. Also it looked quite healthy because of the sealant. If anyone has an extra PCM for 1992 4,9l STS to sell, I might consider..

However I'm going through the wiring from the positive angle - as the negative/grounds seems to be ok. Could ignition switch cause battery drainage and problems in PCM power?

Its fall - the leafs are getting yellow, and the temperatures are dropping - now its about +14°C, it gets below +10°C during the night. Winter is about 2 months away, and then the temperatures may drop to -40°C, and then it would be quite uncomfortable to work with the car on the street.. Also the inspection is to be no later than 5/11. So it would be very nice to get this thing on the road again.. =)

The problem seems to be the PCM, or in the the connectors. A new PCM already ordered from eBay, it should arrive in 7-10 days.

PCM replaced, and it seems to work alright on one afternoon short distance tryouts.

As usual, nothing is easy..

The car works ok most of the time. Now during warm up it stalls often, sometimes it cuts a bit and RPM-meter goes haywire. On other times it works ok.

Its seems to be now verys persistant that the refridgerant it low, but I know this is not true. This is even during the times when the car otherwise works ok.

Now without resetting;
    E023 EST Signal Problem(EGR)
    E031 Shorted MAP-sensor Signal
    E039 VCC engagement Problem
    E052 PCM Memory reset
    E074 Intermittent MAT-signal
    E098 High RPM p/n to d/r shift
    I034 Loss of PCM-data
    I052 Keep alive memory error
    A011 High side temperature sensor circuit(current)
    A047 Low refrigerant(current)
    A050 Coolant temp too high
    R061 ??????

Some are logical, but I can not see a clear fault here. The last one I did not find.

Next I suppose I'll clear the codes, read again before and after the problem occurs.

Any ideas?

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

The number of codes and the two 52 codes leads me to believe there is intermittent battery power. There must be a bad connection somewhere.

Well, it seems that now this is getting solved.. =)

The A011-code was because of loose sensor-contact, and after it being attached, all the A-codes vanished. AC works alright.

Other sc. extra codes we got rid of by resetting codes, and reading them just as the engine started to cut. The E023-code was then with "current"-sign, and that I figured was a starting point.

I pulled the manufacturers code chart from Alldatadiy.com, and that lead me to distributor-wiring-harness. By moving the harness and contacting it to the distributor-cap I was able to make the engine stall. After checking the harness I opened the cap, and found melted cap-contact, and half-worn rotor-contact. These parts were bought from RockAuto.com and replaced about four years back. I'm sort of not surprised, because almost everything I ever bought there has been very poor quality.

I think the faulty cap has shot high voltage towards the PCM through wiring harness, and this has eventually blown the PCM. Now when the PCM has been replaced, the original fault is still present.

I'm gonna get new(decent quality) parts, and hope for the best. Maybe this will be the end of these problems..

New cap and rotor installed, and for now everything seems to work ok.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

In regard to factory manuals, I bought mine for my '85 Fleetwood from Helm Inc, for around 100 bucks, and it's been worth every dime !! Bought one for the ;76 DeVille , and the '93 RWD (which got totaled in July) Fleetwood too. I consider good manuals to be the big time saver.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.