Cam position sensor replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Cam position sensor replacement in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; How do you change it, the mounting plate for the rotor button is RIGHT in the way....
    79malibuonblocks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 coupe deville 4.1 67,000original/1991 sedan deville 4.9

Cam position sensor replacement

How do you change it, the mounting plate for the rotor button is RIGHT in the way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

Re: Cam position sensor replacement

I beleive I used a 1/4'' socket by itself and gripped the socket with a small pair of pliers.

kdcing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado, 4.9L, 200k miles

You are referring to the sensor in the distributor, underneath the ignition rotor...correct? If yes, the distributor must be removed from the engine. Remove the roll pin holding the gear onto the bottom of the shaft by punching it out w/ a punch...then, I believe the bottom of the distriutor slides off freeing the sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by kdcing View Post
    You are referring to the sensor in the distributor, underneath the ignition rotor...correct? If yes, the distributor must be removed from the engine. Remove the roll pin holding the gear onto the bottom of the shaft by punching it out w/ a punch...then, I believe the bottom of the distriutor slides off freeing the sensor.
    thats what i figured

Quote Originally Posted by Sevillian273 View Post
    I beleive I used a 1/4'' socket by itself and gripped the socket with a small pair of pliers.
    i cant even get the socket under the mounting plate by itself

I beleive kd is referring to the pick-up coil which encircles the distributor shaft in the bottom of the housing. You DO NOT need to remove the distributor to change the cam sensor. Trust me, Ive done it already. You just have to get creative with different tool combinations. Ive attached a picture of the sensor itself so everybody is on the same page. I cant remember 100% how I got mine outsince it was almost a year ago. It was either with a small socket or a T-25 or 20 torx bit and a pair of pliers. Grind the socket smaller if you can....

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

I've changed mine out twice without removing the distributor. I couldn't figure out how to get a socket in there, but with an open-end 1/4" wrench, persistence and a lot of cuss words, I got it done. And I have very limited mechanical ability.

Good catch...I was referring to the round/doughnut-shaped pickup coil in the bottom of the distributor.

If it you need to remove the sensor shown in Sevillian's e-mail, then I yield to his experience as I do not have experience and do not recall seeing that sensor in my '93 Eldorado's 4.9L distributor.

I beleive kd is referring to the pick-up coil which encircles the distributor shaft in the bottom of the housing. You DO NOT need to remove the distributor to change the cam sensor. Trust me, Ive done it already. You just have to get creative with different tool combinations. Ive attached a picture of the sensor itself so everybody is on the same page. I cant remember 100% how I got mine outsince it was almost a year ago. It was either with a small socket or a T-25 or 20 torx bit and a pair of pliers. Grind the socket smaller if you can....
    That is the culprit! I tried an open end but with no luck. I wonder if they make a 1/4 inch offset wrench like a distributor wrench? That would be ideal......if not i suppose i will have to sacrifice a socket.

i found a real short box end 1/4 wrench and FINALLY got her offa there! I did notice some play in the distributor tho..............

Good to hear that 79. Did the car run any better? Kdcing, you do indeed have a cam sensor in your 4.9. In fact I used a FSM for a 1993 4.9 to diagnose mine... ended up being the ECM.

yea 273.......seems that the cam sensor AKA. "hall effect switch" is in the distributor, i changed it, no more spittin and sputterin......i thought most cam sensors were on the block, leave it to cadillac! But i looked at that damn diagram, and it was above my head man. So I figured if cam sensor do no good then i change the computer.....its all just $$$$$.lol

Kdcing, you do indeed have a cam sensor in your 4.9.
    Since I've already replaced so much crap in my car, I certainly hope to not have to go back into the depths of my distributor. Thanks for the tips if I do find the need to dive in there!

Joseppi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Sedan DeVille

While I've found answers to some questions in this forum in the past, I just registered today so I could provide some information on this subject that might be helpful to others. This information might already be here somewhere, but I didn't find it so I hope this helps someone else sometime.

Recently the "Service Engine Soon" light came on so I took my car to a friend (retired ASE - GM mechanic) who changed the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor. After all this, the service light stayed on but the car started choking. So, he then replaced the EGR; but the service light still stayed on and the car seemed to get progressively slightly worse. Not terrible, but not as good as before the tune-up.

Searching the 'net, I learned how to check the on board computer and from that I learned that E41 meant a cam sensor problem.

So, I found another shop to replace that and then the service light went out and the car ran great again ... for about one day, then the same problem came back. So, I took the car back and the replaced the cam sensor again (no charge -- good shop) and this time put some added insulation on the wires that attach to the cam sensor because the suspected that the wires may have shorted out and caused the new cam sensor to fail.

Now, my favorite old car runs fine again.

Just thought that this additional information might be helpful.

BTW: The cam sensor part number is:
    WELLS DR179 -- $64.79 -- ($125 installed total).

(PS: I would have inserted a photo of the cam sensor, but couldn't find a way to do that here.)

daniel58 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 58 Coupe Deville, 77 Coupe deville, 90 Deville

So the cam sensor fixed the problem, sputtering and running bad in general? My 90, 4.5 has the same symptons, but no codes, I was told that the car would not run with a bad cam sensor, yours did but with a code set? I have replaced everything else in my 90 except the cam sensor and this sensor checks out per the (olming out) FSM tests. The Recluse is telling me that these things can fail in use even if they do check out, I'm wondering??? I have so much in this car now I hate to throw good money after bad. Trip to the junkyard in my future I guess.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.