A.L.D.L connector, setting timing
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, A.L.D.L connector, setting timing in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; To set the timing it says to jump terminal A and B of the A.L.D.L connector, is that the port ...
    79malibuonblocks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 coupe deville 4.1 67,000original/1991 sedan deville 4.9

A.L.D.L connector, setting timing

To set the timing it says to jump terminal A and B of the A.L.D.L connector, is that the port where you plug in a scanner, and if so.....which terminal is A and B? They are not labled.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dave S Texas is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL

Re: A.L.D.L connector, setting timing

I've attempted to attach a photo of the connector.....? Set the intitial base timing with A & B jumpered.....while NOT in diagnostic display. The Service Soon telltale light will flicker which indicates the ECM is in 'set timing mode'
    Attached Images

quins90lac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac sedan devile

ok first of all sorry to jack your thread .but i have a question on setting the timing on a 4.5 and the question is how do you go about doing it and can it be done with out a timing light or is that some thing i need to looking to getting or trying barrow from some one

79malibuonblocks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 coupe deville 4.1 67,000original/1991 sedan deville 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by quins90lac View Post
    ok first of all sorry to jack your thread .but i have a question on setting the timing on a 4.5 and the question is how do you go about doing it and can it be done with out a timing light or is that some thing i need to looking to getting or trying barrow from some one
    On my 4.9, it says to remove air cleaner, jump Terminal A and B together on the A.L.D.L and of course yes you need a timing light, connect the red and black to the battery and the spark plug connector over the #1 spark plug wire, then aim it at the harmonic balancer on the crank. I believe you st the 4.9 at 10 degrees before top dead center. You do this after the car is warmed up. But check for sure the setting on a 4.5, they might be different.

Sevillian273 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 89 Marquis | 72 Torino

The factory setting for the 4.5 is also 10 degrees. If you run 93 octane,which you should be doing anyway, you can go up to 14 degrees for some more balls! Its the most noticeable increase in power of any bolt-on you can buy for your caddy. Some will say its a performance exhaust, but in my opinion the timing advance is more profound. It also really helps alot to paint the mark on the crank pulley first. These engines dont have a knock sensor so dont get greedy and advance it past 14! In fact, if youve never done it before I'd go 13 or 12 just to be safe. Oh and you will need a distributor wrench unless you wanna go cheap and bend a 5/8!

quins90lac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac sedan devile

i know i should be runing 93 like its says to but when gass goes over $3.50 - $4.00 it gets 89 but never any lower then that . ill have to see if i cant get or barow the tools i need cause im about to put in a new cap and wires . how far advance could you go if you say ran like 97 oct gas cause thires a place neer me that sells like 97-98 oct

Say 89 is 3.50 a gallon and 93 is 3.70... 15gallons of 89 would cost $52.50, 93 would be $55.50. Thats only a difference of 3bucks per tank! Since these motors have no way of detecting knocking, an extra 3-4$ per tank is CHEAP insurance. Say you got a tankful of 89... its hot outside... you get on the pedal to pass someone going up a hill... BAM. Its just not worth the risk to me for a few bucks. Especially in a case where your coolant is low, your EGR malfucntions, or you have alot of carbon buildup on your pistons. That thing will be ready to knock at any unfortunate moment....

As for the maximum advance limit, you have to ask one of the tech gurus on that one. I know there is a point at which you simply cant get anymore power no matter how high the octane is. I imagine you could go as far as 16 degrees or so with some crazy expensive race gas though, but the gain going from 14 up to 16 wouldnt be nearly as noticeable as going from 10 to 14 on 93gas. Think of it this way: Your paying an extra 3to5 bucks a tank for an extra 20hp or so. To me its worth it.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

These engines don't have enough compression to knock. When you put high octane fuel in a low compression low performance engine you get less power and more carbon: Internal Combustion 101. If you play with the timing you can probably make it ping but at the factory recommended setting it is plenty safe for regular fuel. Putting high octane fuel in a low performance engine will not make it a high performace engine either. Don't kill it with kindness and carbon it up, save your money and just drive the wheels off it and your engine will love you for it. Cheers.

Dave S Texas is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL

Running high-octane gas in a 9.5:1 compression engine is not a good idea and a huge waste of $$.....but it's your engine.

The factory recommended fuel is 91. I dont know about you guys but Ive never seen 91 available, at least not where I live. Ive only ever seen 87,89,93. With the timing advanced to 14, I would never have the guts to try anything less than 91. And since 91 is not available to me, then 93 it is.

Onalaska is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SF, 1990 Allante, 2006 XLR-V

I was wondering about that. Why do they recommend premium gas for an engine with a 9.5 to 1 compression ratio? My Northstar has a 10.5 to 1 ratio and it runs on regular! If I am going to run premium in the 4.5 I may bump the timing up a little if it will make a difference.

The Northstar has a knock sensor and retards the timing accordingly to accomodate. The timing bump on the 4.5 does make a noticeable difference. I was very happy with the results.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

The connector is actually labeled, but it is on the side of the connector body and hard to read.
    Octane ratings very by location and altitude but the highest grade should be what you want regardless.
    That is if the car calls for it. Using high octane in a low compression engine is a waste of money and abusive to the engine. Follow the guidelines in the manual, adjust for what is available.
    Not setting it by the sticker is technically "emissions tampering" but your choice.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

ewill3rd, since you are a Cadillac tech, do you think these low compression low performance 4.5's and 4.9's really need premium fuel like the owners manual states? Many people run regular fuel with no pinging and no problems for many many miles. It just seems like a waste to me. Does Cadillac ever have to deny engines repairs under warranty for detonation issues, now or back in the 4.x days? TIA.

WAPAUTO is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 91 Cadillac Coupe De Ville

Cool Re: A.L.D.L connector, setting timing

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S Texas View Post
    I've attempted to attach a photo of the connector.....? Set the intitial base timing with A & B jumpered.....while NOT in diagnostic display. The Service Soon telltale light will flicker which indicates the ECM is in 'set timing mode'
    I know you posted this in 2008, but it's still being looked at today. Kudos. Your info has saved the day.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.