E98 code on 4.5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, E98 code on 4.5 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I recently replaced some injectors on my '90 DeVille 4.5 (runs great now), and besides the usual E52, I am ...
    mdogg1950 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '90 DeVille '97 DeVille

E98 code on 4.5

I recently replaced some injectors on my '90 DeVille 4.5 (runs great now), and besides the usual E52, I am getting a non-telltale E98 which reads as follows: "P/N to D/R ISC engaged problem". It seems like it's trying to tell me something is wrong with the Idle Speed Control when shifting out of Park or Neutral.
    Can anyone interpret this code for me? Thanks in advance.
    Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Re: E98 code on 4.5

Most likely your ISC motor is moving south... Does it make unusually loud ratcheting noise when you shut down the engine?

JCDSparks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    Most likely your ISC motor is moving south... Does it make unusually loud ratcheting noise when you shut down the engine?
    Hey guys, sorry to jump in on this one but my '90 Deville shoots me the same code and my brother ( who is mechanin in Albany ,NY) said that after replacing the injectors or getting an ECM reset code(E52) that there is a procedure for recalibrating the ISC motor. I have the procedure in my book and will post it for you later this afternoon whenI return home form work.
    But he also said if recal fails or doesn't hold the an ISC R&R is a must!! IT's enough to driv eyou to drink lol
    Thanks guys

Exclamation Re: E98 code on 4.5

Hey mdogg1950 and Huf why don't you guys shoot me a friend invite on here so us '90 deville owners don't have to sort through a crap load of stuff to get specific info and kinda help each other out ??

HUF

Quote Originally Posted by JCDSparks View Post
    Hey guys, sorry to jump in on this one but my '90 Deville shoots me the same code and my brother ( who is mechanin in Albany ,NY) said that after replacing the injectors or getting an ECM reset code(E52) that there is a procedure for recalibrating the ISC motor. I have the procedure in my book and will post it for you later this afternoon whenI return home form work.
    But he also said if recal fails or doesn't hold the an ISC R&R is a must!! IT's enough to driv eyou to drink lol
    Thanks guys
    You will get E52 every time the battery is disconnected. Neither that nor injectors have anything to do with ISC. If you did not change ISC motor you do not need to "recalibrate" that. So, sorry either your brother was wrong in this particular case or you misunderstood something.

You will get E52 every time the battery is disconnected. Neither that nor injectors have anything to do with ISC. If you did not change ISC motor you do not need to "recalibrate" that. So, sorry either your brother was wrong in this particular case or you misunderstood something.
    ALl right then I will check my book again!! Will post baack in a few I just gettin in and was check mail real quick the be back in a bit .

And for the record I suggested something about thew ISC recal to him and said he remembers hearing someting like that years ago, not try to be upset just politely explaining in case it sounded to harse sorry for that.
    BRB

HUF

Quote Originally Posted by mdogg1950 View Post
    I recently replaced some injectors on my '90 DeVille 4.5 (runs great now), and besides the usual E52, I am getting a non-telltale E98 which reads as follows: "P/N to D/R ISC engaged problem". It seems like it's trying to tell me something is wrong with the Idle Speed Control when shifting out of Park or Neutral.
    Matt
    By the way, is that E98 code current or history? If you switch to N and press gas pedal , that code may be set. I would clear the codes and see if it returns.
    A current code is one set during current ignition cycle (when you turn the ignition key ON).
    A history code is one set during previous ignition cycles. It will be cleared automatically if it does not reappear in consecutive 50 ignition cycles.

mdogg1950 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '90 DeVille '97 DeVille

Thanks everyone for the input. The E98 is new. Here's where it gets interesting: I had so much trouble with the idle (car would not idle down until after complete stop), that I disconnected the ISC a couple years ago. I set the curb idle by engine sound, and on a cold morning my right foot is the fast idle. I get better gas mileage and am not wearing my brakes out. Safer too. I hear this is a problem with these cars. It's called "idle sail".
    Funny that code just showed up after my recent injector work??
    Thanks again.
    Matt

Presidentiallac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by mdogg1950 View Post
    Matt
    That DTC can come up when you shift from P to N going to fast or if you have your foot on the gas while doing it or from D to R. The computer is monitering to isc and it thinks that the isc is holding the rpms up. When really you have your foot on the gas while shifting. Erase the DTC and check if it comes up agin if so. The isc is getting stuck on your throttle cable is sticking.

HUF

Quote Originally Posted by Presidentiallac View Post
    That DTC can come up when you shift from P to N going to fast or if you have your foot on the gas while doing it or from D to R. The computer is monitering to isc and it thinks that the isc is holding the rpms up. When really you have your foot on the gas while shifting. Erase the DTC and check if it comes up agin if so. The isc is getting stuck on your throttle cable is sticking.
    This thread is 5 years old!

cadillac_al is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

This thread is 5 years old!
    And the OP was too cheap to buy another ISC which would have made the car more pleasant to drive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.