Safety Safety Safety !
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Safety Safety Safety ! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ...
    Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Safety Safety Safety !

I have seen a few things here lately that have disturbed me. So I want to talk about what nasty things a car can do.

First, Fuel. We all will have a problem with the fuel system sometime. The best thing to remember is that an injected engine has its fuel pressurized at around 45 pounds per square inch at any given point in the system. The only place it isn’t at 45 psi is inside the fuel tank. Take your 27-inch TV and place it on its end on your thumb, that’s what were dealing with. Taking fuel filters off is very dangerous; at 45 psi it will do permanent damage to your eyes and can force fuel thru your skin. If you feel the need to mess with anything in it under pressure at least use safety glasses and gloves, but please don’t. You can rent pressure gauges nowadays! Same thing with Schrader valves, its at 45 psi there also and can do some damage also.

Second. Jack stands. We all know we should use them, before you do make sure you jack the car up on a proper area that is clean and use a block of wood between the jack and jack point. When placing the jack stand make sure the area is clean of any oils, some cars leak oil and if it has oil in that area the jack will slip out and the car will come down. The average head is 6.9 inches, the ride height of some caddys is 6 inches, do the math! . I almost lost my index finger when a sewage truck I was jacking up had a leaky rear end, the jack slipped and drug my hand into the back of it with the force of the 10 ton truck dropping 2 feet, at that point the jack failed and drug me underneath the truck rupturing a pipe and coating me in human excrement goodness.

Third. Jewelry. Don’t wear jewelry when working on the car. Worst case I have seen is when a troop of mine had a wrench and it touched both ends of the battery, it heated the wrench and his wedding ring so fast that his skin melted around his ring. You haven’t truly known the meaning of life until you have been sucked into a running engine by your tie you wore to work because it got caught in a fan belt.

If you don’t have a pair of mechanics gloves do you yourself a favor and get some! General Motors has a special department set aside called “the department of sharp objects”(ok not really) there whole purpose in life is to make as many sharp things to cut you open as possible because you weren’t wearing gloves!

Batteries, these things are awful when charging they put off hydrogen gas, the same stuff they ran in a little airship called then Hindenberg. As we all know they contain acid, but what some of you may not know is they wont hesitate to make your jeans look like something the members def leopard wore . Does a number on your skin too, wear the clothes your woman gave you when working with batteries, you hate those anyway!

Sorry for the rant but ive been too worried lately about some of my fellow cadillac owners . feel free to add !

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

LacSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Safety Safety Safety !

good points bro...

leftoverture is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Oh, good points about safety. We all tend to think accidents only happen to people who live in another part of town, whom we don't know, but will hear about on the news. But if we are not practicing safe working habits, we may not be around to enjoy our Caddies and isn't the whole point to enjoy them?

So. . .one more safety tip for everyone. . .smoking has no place in the garage. Especially if you are charging the battery or working with the fuel system. Just look around your garege, if you're like me you have all kinds of flammable materials just lying around waiting to ignite. . .

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Excellent topic. Stickied

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

My "favorite" accident story involved gasoline spilling and a trouble light. The gas spilled, the trouble light got dropped in the movements to stem the leaking fuel and the bulb shattered when the trouble light hit the ground....instant inferno.

HAVE LOTS OF FIRE EXTINGUISHERS WHERE EVER YOU WORK ON A CAR.

Fire extinguishers are cheap and simple to hang on the wall.....and they just hang there until you need it. Glad I had a BUNCH of them around because it took 12 to put the fire out by the time it was all over.

This is a perfect "accident" as I don't know what necessarily I did wrong nor what I would have done differently if I did the job today. Only thing between me and a disaster was a bunch of fire extinguishers.

Every person I know that works on cars has a "fire" story sooner or later so it may happen to you next. Get the fire extinguishers in the garage (and around the house) and check them frequently.

The other safety rant that I have is people wearing (or not wearing) safety glasses. Can't tell you how many times that safety glasses have prevented the "inconvenience" of something getting into my eye. Some things are obvious, like using the bench grinder or skill saw...but other times the danger is not so obvious. Just wear them and save your eyesight.

I once went to work on a rotortiller that wouldn't run. Took the plug out to check for spark. Turned the engine over while leaning over the engine. Didn't know that the carb was stuck open and the engine was full of fuel. Instant spray of gas directly in my face when the engine turned over. Good thing I had safety glasses on....quite by accident. Then there was that spring loaded check ball in the trans for a shift detent that cam whistling past my eye when the shaft was pulled out....hmmm...

Several years ago a major motor cycle racer was assembling some steel shelving in his shop. Tightening the screws at eye level with a screw driver the screw driver slipped.... Stabbed himself right in the eye and he lost his eye. Put the safety glasses on.

good point bob , boath of them , nothing like haveing a optimitrist pull metal shaveings out of your eye to let you know you shoulda worn the glasses

my fire story ? we were clening the injectors on a 87 pulsar i bought at a auction and was planning on fixing and selling , we used the large can that contians the chemical and is pressureized with shop air . Pulled the fuse for the fuel pump and connected the can to the injector rail . The kid i was working with cross threaded the fitting and when the car started the chemical went all over the coil packs . This instanly englufed the engine in huge flames . At that point the dumbass then promtly slammed the hood shut on the car . I had to run 100 feet to get the extingisher and then get the hood open (had my clean sfaety gloves on) , got the hood opend while he attempted to get the extingisher to spray , he didnt know how to operate it , i had to do it myself , took a week to rewire the engine comapartment

the storys moral: be sure you know where it is and how to operate it ! a fire is a tramtic event ,be familar with the operation of the fire extinguisher before working in the shop , a fire is not a time to figure out "how it works"or "where my wife put it"

SoundAdvantage is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 87 Deville

The fire story that really made me sick was the one 92devillelovitt told here on the forums when he was working on a engine inside a motorhome and the fuel pump filled the crankcase full of fuel. When he started the engine up it Exploded and blew the valve covers off the top of the engine and the oil pan off the bottom and knocked him unconsence and almost burned him to death.

I threw away my old trouble light with the conventional bulb and replaced it with a florescent trouble light that is "Sealed" in a plastic housing for Safety.
    I also keep an old blanket out in the garage. I have had carburators backfire and catch on fire before. A blanket will put one out in a hurry. I am also a firm believer in fire extinguishers, in the house and garage, they can save you alot of $$$ in a time of need.
    Jack stands, Heavy Duty Floor Jacks and Wheel Chalks or wedge shaped wooden blocks to put behind your tires when jacking your car up are all major nessecities. As mentioned earlier Safety glasses or goggles are very important to wear while working on your car, especially underneith it. I prefer the glasses over the goggles and have a pair in my tool box. I also store my gas cans in the shed instead of in the garage. Jack stands can save your life, buy the Heavy Duty ones and use a good Heavy Duty hydralic Floor Jack with the jack stands while your working under your vehicle. I never get under a vehicle while it's running, i have had them pop out of gear and take off rolling before. My Grand Wagoneer Full size jeep popped out of park at a high idle with nobody in it and went in reverse about 20 ft and slammed into the pass front door of my deville last summer and did $1500.00 in damage to my car.

Almost forgot ...Radiators

Had to take a guy to the Medical Hobby Shop (on base clinic) once because he took the rad cap off while the engine was hot . He got the cap loose and it exploded off the Rad and the contents of the raditator that were around 200 degrees sprayed all over him , burning the hell out of his face . 13-17 psi at 200 degrees is nothing to play with !!!

Also, watch the moving belts and pulleys underhood. Was reminded of this today as I watched someone wearing a tie lean over the fender of a FWD Deville to look underhood. He forgot the accessory drive belt is on the right side so his tie was dangling right in the power steering pulley/belt interface while the engine was idling. Nothing happened but it could have. I did once see a person get their tie caught like that in the pulley of the accessory drive. Fortunately, the guy was pretty big and strong and he just grabbed his tie and leaned back hard and it finally ripped....but in another sitation he could just have easily have had his face pulled into the pulley as the tie wrapped around it.

thepitboss is offline Cadillac Owners Member

[QUOTE=Stoneage_Caddy]
    If you don’t have a pair of mechanics gloves do you yourself a favor and get some! General Motors has a special department set aside called “the department of sharp objects”(ok not really) there whole purpose in life is to make as many sharp things to cut you open as possible because you weren’t wearing gloves!
    QUOTE]

I think they also have a retarded engineer division that comes up with stuff like let's put the battery underneath a bunch of stuff, or lets hide access to the headlights so that way no one can find them.

thepitboss is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I was at work one day and had a guy leave the store. About 2min. later he came strolling back into the store and casually asked for a fire extingusher. We told him what asile they were on and he was like umm no I need to use one... my car is on fire. After he got the fire put out and left we were like umm shouldn't he have been a little more worried than that. Crazy.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

I had my experience (small in comparisson) when my 92 Aerostar van slid over on the jackstands. It was enough of a slight grade that when I jacked it up more, the stand toppled over and the rotors dug into the ground.

I wasn't amused. But no one got hurt. I have 4 little ones, so as much as I like the to come help, they aren't allowed unless I am 100% sure on the sturdyness of the vehicle on jack stands.

Get GOOD stands, not cheapy ones. Worth the safety. I have a set of 6 ton stands now for my Suburban, an love them!!! They are a bit tall, but I love how sturdy they are.

Tom

On another tangent but still on safety....if you load a car on a trailer be sure and always block the trailer wheels with chocks before loading....

I watched a friend load his racing corvette onto his trailer and promply disappear down the drive way as the entire tow rig....pickup and trailer with the corvette half on it....went down the hill and into a tree.

As the corvette went up the trailer it levered the pickups rear wheels off the ground as the tongue weight went way negative. Since the rear wheels were all that was keeping the rig from moving they started to slide and the whole thing went down the steep driveway and into a tree.

Either block the trailer wheels with chocks or put a jack under the rear of the trailer to support the load as the car comes up the ramps.

True story.

We did have a laugh later as we recounted the expression on my friends face as he pressed the corvette's brake pedal thru the firewall trying to stop. If he had just rolled off the trailer it would have stopped it.

85eldodude is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Here's one for you.... I was driving my 1970 cutlass S about 95 mph for 30 miles. I pulled over to get gas, noticed my oil light on at idle... so I thought I'd check the oil... well, I noticed that the pcv valve vacuum line was slipping off, and as I bent over to correct it, BOOM! the upper radiator hose exploded in my face. It wasnt even bubbled, it wasnt even old, only about a year. I immediately turned and dropped... instinct reaction.... when I was getting up I noticed I couldnt feel my face... well, the doctors said it should have melted my hair off... they didnt understand why I still had a goatee... the water was probably about 220 to 250, being as I just got off the highway hauling butt, and had JUST shut the car off. What irked me is some of the people at the store thought I had opened the radiator cap... I proceeded to show them, before the ambulance got there, that the hose was in two pieces. Moral of the story.... when the car is hot, stay away from the radiator hoses!! Dont even bump them!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.