Safety Safety Safety ! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Safety Safety Safety ! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The notes about the batteries are UNDERSTATED. The batteries in our cars have more energy in them than the average ...
    DedWrng is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Fleetwood S&S Funeral Coack

Re: Safety Safety Safety !

The notes about the batteries are UNDERSTATED. The batteries in our cars have more energy in them than the average hand grenade PLUS toxic acid. Seeing someone short one out with a wrench or jump start improperly scared the crap out of me, because I have seen one explode recently, killing a man in the process. A melted ring or watch is trivial in comparison.

OlderSchool is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Wink Re: Safety Safety Safety !

Great stuff! I laughed so hard remembering the school of hard knocks I've been though.
    2 Points:
    Keep your hands OFF the radiator cap until the engine is cold or you'll learn what doctors call debriding....
    Alway disconnect the Negative terminal on the battery first. Especially when your mechanic partner is in front of a airbag inside the car. He/she can learn how fast the trip from the front to the back seat can be otherwise.....
    I still don't trust cheap jack stands. Even on the flat concrete at the shop I've seen cars roll. Remember who's going to be under a car when buying jack stands and always keep a jack under it as well.....
    Seriously be safe.

Cristofo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Sedan De Ville, 1970 Cadillac Coupe De Ville

Awesome post and very good information. Safety and prevention should not be taken lightly.

My story, when I was about 17-18...

Owned an 88 LSC Mark VII and needed to change the rear brakes, so I removed both tires and had it on jack-stands (on a slight hill). Well, the jack-stand tipped and my car fell to the ground and missed my leg by about 2 inches. I almost threw up immediately from envisioning what a 4000Lb car would do to my shin falling from almost 2 ft. From that day on I make sure I'm on completely level ground and inspect the jack-stands numerous times to make sure everything looks good. I also throw my tire/rim flat underneath whatever part of the car I'm working on, just in case anything happens I still have some sort of delay or cushion.

Never think your above safety, "tough guys" get hurt too...

mnorrod is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 4.9

I'm new here, but I really appreciate the safety message, there are a ton of professional mechanics hurt each year, and many more do-it-yourselvers. Lets be safe, no matter how great your Cadillac is it's worthless without it's owner to appreciate it!

guyslp Guest

Here's another addition relative to jack stands: make yourself plywood squares that should always be placed under the feet of the jackstands. They should be about 1" wider than the total footprint of the feet on all sides.

Ideally, if the only place you're using jack stands is on a perfectly level correctly poured concrete floor, this should not be necessary. However, how often is this actually the case? I do most of my work in my driveway if I'm working at home and that driveway is asphalt. Regardless of how level and how well-cured that asphalt is, the weight of a car on the tiny points of jack stand feet results in digging in. This would be fine if the digging in were consistent under all feet, as though they were resting on foam, but it isn't. Those stands could topple and/or your car slide off/drop even if one just shifts enough to allow a major weight shift. Using a plywood square allows the feet to dig in to the plywood in a very regular way but then distributes the weight across a huge, flat footprint rather than three or four very small points.

This has the added advantage of preventing the occasional chipping of your nice concrete surface if you're working on one.

Also, as dumb as it sounds, if your car is up on stands, always give the thing a very good shove to test its stability on those stands every time before you start a session where you'll be crawling under it. You'll be much happier, though you won't be happy, if you knock it to the pavement yourself due to any stability issue than you would be if it were to fall on you.

Brian

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.