83 4.1 overheated, now, an ISC problem ! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 83 4.1 overheated, now, an ISC problem ! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Humor me by bringing the car to operating temperature, climate controls in the OFF position, then shut off engine. Then ...
    carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 83 4.1 overheated, now, an ISC problem !

Humor me by bringing the car to operating temperature, climate controls in the OFF position, then shut off engine. Then remove the ISC assembly from the throttle body leaving the wiring to it connected and restart engine. Now the car should idle very slowly. With the ISC in your hand retract the shaft by applying a constant pressure on the shaft. Once fully retracted, quickly disconnect the wiring to it. Shut off the engine. Reinstall it and verify at least a .060 gap between it and the throttle arm then reconnect wiring to it. Now restart the engine with the A/C still off. We need to know that the ISC has been adjusted before we can go further.

hendrob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 DEVILLE

Will do so Carnut and report back . Thanks !!!

Did as you advised Carnut, when it advanced 3 clicks and snapped back I unplugged it. There is NO clearance at all with the screw on the ISC turned in all the way infact it speeds the engine up. This ISC isn't retracting properly and 3 ISCs have done the same thing. They all just wind out to the end, and keep on pushing

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Please re read my post! I said push on the shaft until it fully retracts with wiring connected, engine running. It might take 30 to 45 seconds to retract keeping constant pressure on the ISC shaft. Disconnecting it after it fully extends will not set the gap! and yes it will idle too fast. You cannt possibly have 3 faulty ISC's.

Understood Carnut, thats what I did, but I'll give her another shot tomorrow and report back again. Thanks again for your assistance !
    Bob

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.