85 eldo 4.1
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 85 eldo 4.1 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am inquiring about my Eldo has 26700 miles got veh from 82 yr. old lady great shape, but when ...
    scott85 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

85 eldo 4.1

I am inquiring about my Eldo has 26700 miles got veh from 82 yr. old lady great shape, but when gets to operating tempeture the vehicle wants to diesel when attemptimg to stop which causes me to put in neutral it then takes veh some time to smooth out and get back to normal, had veh tuned up plugs,wires dist cap and fuel line flushed. The mechanic replaced a computer part up by throttlebody that controled the electronic choak. I am kinda lost have been to 3 mechanics and out 550.00 dollars they look at me and say dont know but these caddis were known for problems. Any info would be helpful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 85 eldo 4.1

Dieseling means, in car talk, that you shut it off and the engine kept running. I dont believe that term is what you mean. If you mean the engine shudders badly after driven over 60 MPH when coming to a stop, I would suspect the overdrive solenoid in the transmission is either unplugged or sticking. My 84 did this and only after 20 min. of use and only when exiting the freeway coming to a gradual stop. After stopping, when given gas, it would upshift too early and very harshly. After about 3 min. it worked perfect. With this low mileage I would suspect this car never spent much time above 50 MPH so the solenoid was rarely engaged. To confirm solenoid, put the shifter in 3 instead of D and drive above 60 MPH then come to a stop. If it no longer shudders, have someone replace the 4th gear overdrive solenoid in the trans valve body. Also this car requires changing coolant (antifreeze) a minimum of every 2 years without fail!!Should be a white decal in front of the radiator stating this. Also requires cooling system stop leak pellets be added as well every 2 years.

Also this car was famous for rear disc brakes no longer working after a few years of not using the parking brake every time you shut off the car. To verify rear brakes work,with engine running, depress and hold the park brake pedal with your left foot with alot of pressure, then put your right foot on the brake pedal. Put the car in gear. Slowly remove your right foot, the car should not move forward at all with the park brake depressed. If it creeps forward, you need at a minimum, the rear calipers adjusted and at the worst, replaced. If it were mine I would flush the brake fluid as well because of age and old fluid absorbs moisture (water) causing caliper leakage, master cyl. failure and poor brake performance. I was a Cadillac service manager when this car was new and for 6 years after that. I also own one! These are great cars but have special needs because of what they are and now because they are so old.

Thanks you are correct on shuttering hard take off and a dog to get going, I obtained this veh from an 83 Yr old lady, it had been sitting for 3 yrs. Graet car for $1500.00 like new, The break fluid you mentioned could cause the brakes to feel very mushy like they are going to go to the floor before stopping? I will take to shop this week no real good Caddi mechanics around here that seem to know this vehicle.

The mushy brakes are usually a sign of rear brakes not working, not fluid. You should probably give this series of posts to your mechanic. Find one that knows this era of Cadillac. Change antifreeze now with the sealing pellets or you will a very nice to look at Caddy with a failed engine!

Go to the Eldo , Seville section on this web site. Go to the 3rd page and click on the heading " SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL VACUUM SOUND" A very good series of posts having to do with Eldo brakes. These rear brakes were on the Eldo and Seville from at least 1980 thru 1985. The trans shudder is a 99% chance of being a faulty solenoid in the valve body. Easy to replace once trans pan if off.

Thanks alot you have been alot of help . Glad I found this site.

Since this is your first Cadillac of this era, I will list, as complete as possible, what this car requires to keep it relatively dependable. 1. change coolant every 2 years max. and add pellets 2. make sure smog pump belt is tight or the alternator belt will slip causing weak and/or dead batteries. 3. use 15/40 wt oil sold for late model diesel engines, makes the engine quieter and generally has zinc as an additive to protect the camshaft. DELO 15/40 is brand I use. 4. use the parking brake EVERY time you shut down the car. non use will cost you rebuilt calipers in the rear. 5. dont slam the trunk closed, breaks the weak trunk pull down motor. 6. do a weekly inspection of the oil filler cap, if light brown sludge appears on the underside of the cap, most likely the intake manifold gasket has failed which within that week will ruin the camshaft and lifters. 7. purchase a factory service manual, not so much for you but for the mechanic to refer to. I've owned 3 Eldos of this era and every one has gone at least 130,000 miles using these pointers. When they were 5 to 8 years old, I made alot of money as a Service Mgr. replacing engines, rear calipers, master cylinders and trunk pull downs because the customer was not aware of these preventative guidelines! Would love to see some pictures!

Dave S Texas is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL

Reading about the rear-brake problem reminds me of similar problem I experienced on my drive from Miami back to Texas. (I bought the car in Miami) Stopped in Ocala for something to eat. Parked against curb on a downhill sloping lot. Upon returning to the car, it would not go backwards, unless I really gassed it. I had no tools and there was nothing open at that time of the evening. The diner manager called a guy he knew and this man was able to unhook the emergency cables. When I got back home, I took the rear drums off. Folks in Miami do not use the parking brake! (no reason to, table-top flat there) The rear brakes were completely rusted. Once I engaged the unused parking brake, the rusted parts were frozen tight. Needless to say, I completely changed every brake part, front/rear.....used carbon-metalic pads/shoes. Stops real good! Maintenance saves $$.

One more question, in regards to the antifreez and the sealing pellets. I inquired about the pellets and the ampunt to use and no one knew what I was talking about. Where can they be found and what is the amount to use.

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by scott85 View Post
    One more question, in regards to the antifreez and the sealing pellets. I inquired about the pellets and the ampunt to use and no one knew what I was talking about. Where can they be found and what is the amount to use.
    They can be found at Walmart. It's sold there in powder form and packaged in a tube.

I wholehearted agree with carnut's advice on his previous post.

Should be a part number for them on the white decal underhood by the radiator. If not then any GM parts dept has them. If not use BARSLEAK gold, a powder, same thing!

Dave S Texas is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL

The GM part # for the sealat tabs is 3634621. AC Delco parts stores have the same tabs for much less than the dealers. Last time I bought at the AC Delco store was under $3....

There you go!! If you use the pellets, crush them to a powder in the package then open it and add to a partially filled radiator.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.