4.5 questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.5 questions in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just recently purchased my First Cadillac. Car is in Amazing Condition. It is a 1988 Eldorado. Car Starts right ...
    THudson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Eldorado

4.5 questions

I just recently purchased my First Cadillac. Car is in Amazing Condition. It is a 1988 Eldorado. Car Starts right away and runs well for a car that is 20 years old. It does sound a little rough does not appear to Idle down after starting and the heat coming off the car is intense. It has a chemical smell, but does not appear to have any leaks. I have had tranny drained, pan cleaned with magnet and new filter. Coolant flushed and replaced. Oil changed. All done at the dealer ship.
    I see that in another thread you mention to only use Ac Delco plugs I have not looked into that. Anything else that might cause Heat coming from underneath the car and the chemical smell. The power steering seems to hum as well. I think the car has been sitting for some time and there may be a number of things that need to be done the original voque tires are on the car as well. Your help in restoring this amazing car would be greatly appreciated

Sincerely
    Trevor Hudson

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 4.5 questions

Ok I performed an ECM diagnosis
    and this is what it said

NO ECM Codes
    B120 Current
    B121 History
    B127 History
    B552 History

then It said

ECM?

What does ECM? mean

Hope someone can help me Diagnose So I can get the car running in Concours Condition!

Thanks
    Trevor

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Engine Control Module
    Check the codes here:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...x-engines.html

Sorry I did print out the codes but the ECM actually Posted "ECM?" on the screen. What does "NOCODES" and "ECM?" mean
    Is the ECM faulty? or did the last time it was serviced cleared the codes?

thanks
    Trevor

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Quote Originally Posted by THudson View Post
    I just recently purchased my First Cadillac. Car is in Amazing Condition. It is a 1988 Eldorado. Car Starts right away and runs well for a car that is 20 years old. It does sound a little rough does not appear to Idle down after starting and the heat coming off the car is intense. It has a chemical smell, but does not appear to have any leaks. I have had tranny drained, pan cleaned with magnet and new filter. Coolant flushed and replaced. Oil changed. All done at the dealer ship.
    I see that in another thread you mention to only use Ac Delco plugs I have not looked into that. Anything else that might cause Heat coming from underneath the car and the chemical smell. The power steering seems to hum as well. I think the car has been sitting for some time and there may be a number of things that need to be done the original voque tires are on the car as well. Your help in restoring this amazing car would be greatly appreciated

Sincerely
    Trevor Hudson
    A power steering hum is quite normal for these cars, especially a car that is 20 years old.

As for the smell and stuff, it may be that the cross-under pipe may be the culprit for the heat and perhaps some old oil residue is just burning off of the pipe.

Or your car is about to explode!

Well I had the Ontario Drive clean done and it passed with Flying Colours....so no explosions, I am changing the plugs, wires and cap to Ac Delco! and new fuel filter and thermostat just to be on the safe side. As for the smell I think your right just had the exhaust replaced and had the transmission fluid changed so maybe some transfered onto the exhaust and has been burning off. Today their was no smell. I'll take it for now and continue to change things as I go.

thanks
    Trevor Hudson

hthorn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

IIRC, "ECM?" means it's asking you if you want to run diagnostics on the ECM. You can toggle through several more; I don't remember them all. Sounds like everything's cool with the ECM; all your codes are coming from the BCM. You got a real cream puff there. Happy motoring!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.