Cruise Control Problem!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Cruise Control Problem!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; When I try to use my Cruise Control I will get a message displayed "Cruise Engaged" then ill let of ...
    caddyman4.9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Cruise Control Problem!!

When I try to use my Cruise Control I will get a message displayed "Cruise Engaged" then ill let of the gas but the vehicle doesnt keep its speed it slow down. its not working but i have no relating codes either. could somebody help me out. im moving to milwaukee soon and i would like to use it. thanks

1995 cadillac deville HT4900

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Cruise Control Problem!!

Have you opened the hood to verify its hooked up? Is the cruise control cable connected to the throttle arm? do the brake lights work?

yes the cable is hooked up it moves with the engine being reved and yes everything works except this

Years ago to diagnose a lack of cruise control, I put my foot UNDER the brake pedal and lifted up as I set the cruise. The system worked great unless I removed my foot, then it would quit. Found that the release switch mounted on the brake pedal pivot bracket was misadjusted. So try that above 35 MPH.

Hey "carnut" ummm when i use my e-brake and when i put the ignition in the on position it doesnt release i have to manually release the e-brake could this be the problem and if so how would i adjust the e-brake so it releases with the ignition.

Dave S Texas is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08)1981 F100 '03FXDL

I feel your pain! I've been dealing with a cruise problem for a very long time and haven't figured it out yet. Mine works perfectly the first time I use it, but after that it forgets how to work properly. It engages, lets off, engaging, letting off....kinda herky-jerky like. I cleaned all the electrical connections and that helped some, but it wasn't the cure I've been looking for. No codes displayed. I keep thinking it's heat related, because, if I remember correctly, it always works ok in cold weather.....

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Quote Originally Posted by caddyman4.9 View Post
    When I try to use my Cruise Control I will get a message displayed "Cruise Engaged" then ill let of the gas but the vehicle doesnt keep its speed it slow down. its not working but i have no relating codes either. could somebody help me out. im moving to milwaukee soon and i would like to use it. thanks

1995 cadillac deville HT4900
    Had the same problem with my cruise and parking brake after a recent tune-up.If you also don`t get any air flow from the front dash air vents it`s a disconnected vaccuum hose under the hood.All 3 systems tie into this 1 vaccuum hose----if it`s disconnected or has a leak.
    My mechanic accidently disconnected it when changing plugs and wires on my 1995 Sedan Deville 4.9 liter.
    The hose is only 1/8" diameter and is located on the drivers side under the hood against the firewall.Check both ends.

The auto release is activated by a vacuum diaphram assembly mounted on the park brake assemby. Verify the hose to it is on and not kinked. Most times the diaphram itself fails not the hose to it, may you'll get lucky? Ck what POMPSTE says, sounds quite possible. The release is activated by moving the gear shift, not simply starting the car. A hose comes from a switch at the base of the steering column.

PaulPool89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville

I had this same problem (sorry for the bump) and I found the small vacuum lines that go from the cruise control and blower motor were dry rotted. I replaced them and it worked again!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.