4.1 Biarritz hesitation and stalling - long with lots of info! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.1 Biarritz hesitation and stalling - long with lots of info! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by tacoma humm that kinda sounds like a lock-up solenoid Hope this helps if not it was a ...
    peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

Re: 4.1 Barritz hesitation and stalling - long with lots of info!

Quote Originally Posted by tacoma
    humm that kinda sounds like a lock-up solenoid

Hope this helps if not it was a thought
    Tacoma:
    thanks for your advice. It sounds like something I should look into.
    Although I also remember last year that the car was losing power while being driven
    at highway speeds (on warm days for over 25 miles).

But testing the TC lock-up solenoid shoudl be quite easy. I'm not woried about overheating
    as I've driven my other Caddy (84 Eldo) in 3rd gear at highway speeds for quite a while.
    In 3rd gear, TC doesn't lockup. So, I can try that. Or, I can disconnect the lock-up
    circuit (I have the wiring diagram). I can't just disconnect the connector at the transmision
    as it also has the 4th gear indicator , but I'll figure it out.

Between that and the fuel pressure test and HEI stuff, I still have plenty to check...
    And I still do have an issue when I hook my EGR valve correctly. It could be another
    problem though... One thing at a time...

Peteski

Landshark is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sorry, haven't posted in a while. My hard drive took a dump. Note: Back up your system, I lost everything!

Well, I replaced the EGR valve. The old one was definitely bad, but.......it didn't take care of the hesitation/stumble.

Now I'm leaning towards the fuel pump (new filter). I need to see if I can find a guage I can borrow because the only one I can find cost's $56. The pump only cost's $40. I have let the Caddy sit all this time as money is a huge factor. I need to get this running right by the middle of next month as my Dad is coming to visit for a month and will need this car.

Wish me luck!

85eldodude is offline Cadillac Owners Member

WAIT!!! CLEAN YOUR THROTTLE BODY AND INJECTOR BODY!!! I did it last on mine and it was totally coked up!! Same type issue you are having. Take it apart all the way and blow it out with B-12 and a compressor... if you have one.

BossMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I see i am not the only one with the same problem . At first the the gas pedal was clicking and the idle was all over the dealer fixed it and said it was intake air leak . Now my 84 eld 4100 runs great when cold , but on long drives its another story it would stall when stoped . There would be poor response when accelarating there is point when i start to accelarate there is like a lagg. The dealer told me there are no erorr codes. I will look into the fuel pressur and EGR .

genenalli is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i'm having the same problem with my 85 biarritz it only has 10k miles and has rarely traveled far enough on the highway to experience this problem but this week it was almost 90 here in pittsburgh and i drove it for about 25 miles before i hit stop and go traffic which is when it started. stopped at a restuarant and when i left it was running fine until i got off the exit near home it started up again. did anybody ever determine this is the egr valve?

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

You can easily veriify if your problem is TCC not disengaging.

When you drive your car put it in 3rd gear (not in "D"). Take it out on the highway and drive it normal speeds. Don't worry, car will be ok. Just don't take it across the country as your gas milage will stink!

Of course the engine will have to rev a littlle higher, but that won't cause any problems. Again, be sensible and don't go over like 75MPH.

This setup prevents TCC from engaging. So, if you take the car off the highway, it shouldn't try to stall anymore (if this is a TCC issue). If it is something else, the car will try to stall anyways.

That is how I confirmed that my TCC doesn't disengage properly.

Peteski

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.