I'm afraid to buy these cars ....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, I'm afraid to buy these cars .... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am an 80's car fan and have always wanted an Eldorado or Seville (slant back). I have found two ...
    caddymark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I'm afraid to buy these cars ....

I am an 80's car fan and have always wanted an Eldorado or Seville (slant back). I have found two models I really like. Both are very clean, appear to be well maintained mechanically, and are priced fairly. The Eldo has 115K on the original engine -- I say original because I really don't know but am trying to find out. The Seville has 53K on the original engine. I would like to buy an 80's car for light errands, some weekend travel, etc. I have considered this purchase before and did not buy these models. I went with an 88 Deville, which I love. I am afraid of the HT 4100 engines ... and just would not want the headaches of replacing a motor or dealing with the engine knock, etc. Yet, I cannot get the Eldo body style or the beautiful slant-back Seville out of my mind. I can't say I like the 80 Seville (different engine) or the 1979-80 Eldo because the models I see are definitely showing the age difference from the 85's I am looking at now. So, what would you do? Take a chance or maybe opt for a Riviera or Toronado from the same year? Would you just recommend NOT getting the 85 Eldo or Seville no matter what? I appreciate your insight, as I am new to the 80's Caddies.
    Thank you very much ... Happy Father's Day to all reading!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Re: I'm afraid to buy these cars ....

Happy fathers day to you also.Many here will advise you stay away from the 4.1 liter engine for the reasons you mentioned and save yourself future problems.The slantback Caddys were a unique body style indeed---definitely a personal choice to own when in original production.Every now and then i see one on the road and they really stick out in todays era as there is nothing comparable to that body style presently.
    The 4.1 liter engine was a true blunder by GM.Shortly after these were produced and driven by customers,Cadillac dealerships throughout the country had stockpiles of these flawed engines to deal with.GM redeemed themselves with improvements on the 4.5 and 4.9 liter engines.

caddymark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: I'm afraid to buy these cars ....

I appreciate the response. I have an 88 with the 4.5 liter. It is a really nice car with 122k original miles. The previous owner maintained it very well.
    I would drive that car anywhere.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.