Another question - 89 Seville air conditioning leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Another question - 89 Seville air conditioning leak in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; After charging my air and using a sealant, I noticed a sensor on the high side of the air lines ...
    rjg
    rjg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Another question - 89 Seville air conditioning leak

After charging my air and using a sealant, I noticed a sensor on the high side of the air lines leaking. The screw in sensor is located on the top rear of the engine bay - passenger side. It has a connector on it (there are two sensors in this general area and this one is the larger of the two). It seems refrigerant was running out of the end of the electrical connector.

Needless to say all of the refrigerant leaked out.

Does anyone know the name of this item? Thanks again!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dave S Texas is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL

Re: Another question - 89 Seville air conditioning leak

That would be the High side temp sensor. Use of a sealant in the system was a bad move, but I hope it works out for you.

rjg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S Texas View Post
    That would be the High side temp sensor. Use of a sealant in the system was a bad move, but I hope it works out for you.
    Why do you think it was a bad move? I've used it in other vehicles without a problem.

Sealer are sold to unknowledgable consumers as a cure for system leaks. They are not. No auto manufacturer or AC system manufacturer endorses these products. AC system mechanics will not use them and when someone brings a car in, the first thing the mechanic will do is check for sealants/sealers in that system. If he does not do that, most likely his equipment will be ruined.....and none of his equipment is cheap. Sealants 'work' by being carried in the system charge and if there is a leak the sealant will flow into the area and 'cure' in the air. A big problem comes when there is also air in the AC system itself and the sealant 'cures' in the system. Sealers should never be used. No self-respecting AC person will ever recommend using it....unless he's intending on seeing you back for a system replacement. Find and fix whatever is leaking and save your money...IMO

rjg

Thanks for the info. I reset the computer again and the air is working. The temp out of the vents is registering under 60 degrees F. After 10 miles the low refrigerant msg came on again but it went off. I shut the car off and went on another trip and the air is still working. I am wondering if the temp sensor may be at fault?

Is the system still R12? What are the pressure readings? The telltale light coming On indicates the system has below minimum pressure, meaning low on refrigerant. Pressure readings are a way to find what's going on. I wouldn't worry about the temp sensor......

rjg

The system was changed to 134. I checked the pressure again and it is low. Thanks!

rjg

Well the pressure is staying at 35 and the compressor still keeps shutting off. It is holding the R134.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.