1987 - 1989 Fan Control Module
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1987 - 1989 Fan Control Module in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello all, I need a fan control module for a 1989 Seville. So far I have only found a used ...
    rjg
    rjg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

1987 - 1989 Fan Control Module

Hello all,

I need a fan control module for a 1989 Seville. So far I have only found a used one locally for $85.00. I've tried some of the internet junk yards and nothing has turned up. Does anyone know where I may be able to find one? Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ehall is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Re: 1987 - 1989 Fan Control Module

I don't know but I know they are out there. The one on my '85 went out last year and a local shop bought a replacement from somewhere. It was expensive as $@*! ... about $200 if I remember right.

Dave S Texas is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL

I recently had this same problem. There are modules for sale, and the price you stated is about right, but add shipping to that. What leads you to believe the module is faulty?

rjg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S Texas View Post
    I recently had this same problem. There are modules for sale, and the price you stated is about right, but add shipping to that. What leads you to believe the module is faulty?

With the air running, both fans run and the message cooling fan fault comes on. Also the one fan stayed running when the car was shut off.

Thanks for the replies!

kdcing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado, 4.9L, 200k miles

AutoZone has them between $18 and $75, however, double check the diagnosis....I believe both cooling fans are to be on w/ the AC. 1 fan running w/ engine off may not be normal, however.

Finally, when calling around for this part, be clear that the needed control unit is for the cooling fans....I believe the year of your car also has a control unit for the HVAC fan.

The FSM for my 85 describes a test in the on-board diag that lets you manually power up and down the fans. That is how I confirmed the control module had failed.

Dave S Texas is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL

With the air running, both fans run and the message cooling fan fault comes on. Also the one fan stayed running when the car was shut off.

ok, if one fan stays On when using the OBD system, that is a faulty module. I was going to suggest you check the module ground, since that is the common problem with intermmitent F41 codes.....hope you can find a good replacement unit.

wilsonwilson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Seville

Talking Re: 1987 - 1989 Fan Control Module

Quote Originally Posted by rjg View Post
    Hello all,

I need a fan control module for a 1989 Seville. So far I have only found a used one locally for $85.00. I've tried some of the internet junk yards and nothing has turned up. Does anyone know where I may be able to find one? Thanks for the help!
    If you have a Pull-a-Part close...I got one 2 years ago for $5.00 bucks, Bose Radio for $10.00 etc...

Man it's almost a pleasure to get my own parts from this place....ALWAYS clean, all vehicles off the ground so to work under...NO I don't own stock in the place

BTW, rockauto sells the AC Delco, it's listed under cooling systems, I think they call it radiator fan module

rjg

After following the shop manual's steps it was determined to be the fan control module. I found a used one online. The error message went away also. Thanks for the replies!

wilsonwilson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Seville

It's called:
    Cadillac/GM COOLING FAN CONTROL MODULE - 1634863 [Delco OEM Part#] / 1641400
    [Interchange Part Number]
    For 1986-1991 Cadillac Seville

$T2eC16VHJHoFGk-C8OD9BSK1fwSMwQ~~60_57_990x742.jpg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.