85 Seville HT4100
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 85 Seville HT4100 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi guys I'm new to the forum and am not that familiar with this engine so please bear with me. ...
    mike57 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

85 Seville HT4100

Hi guys I'm new to the forum and am not that familiar with this engine so please bear with me. I just sprung a collant leak from the right rear (passenger side) of the engine, toward the firewall. If you push the plug wires out of the way you can feel silicone it almost feels like a round plug a few inches below the valve cover. There is definately silicone there as I can get my fingernails under it. It is pissing out a steady stream of coolant just slightly less than someone taking a piss. My thinking is that it might be a freeze out plug and I have the shop manuel for it but can't find a diagram as to where the freeze out plugs are on this engine. I can put my finger over the silicone and this is where the leak is. Does anyone know if there is a freeze out plug in this area? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 85 Seville HT4100

Hey guys I just took a mirror and flashlight out and the coolant is comming out of a tiny porosity hole in the casting itself. I was thinking of cleaning the area off with rubbing alcohol and using epoxy resin. Is this the best way to fix this?

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Never heard of this, but if it is in fact a porosity hole, you can try epoxy resin, or you can peen the aluminum with a dull punch.

Quote Originally Posted by awadecki View Post
    Never heard of this, but if it is in fact a porosity hole, you can try epoxy resin, or you can peen the aluminum with a dull punch.

I had the car since 1999 and it just sprung the leak. Apparently someone in the past had put silicone over the area because I peeled off the silicone and the coolant is comming from the casting itself. I work in a CNC machine shop and we reject everything with porosity but porosity is not at all uncommon in castings, we get many rejects because of this. We however never attempt to repair such castings, they are considered junk and are sent back to the casting foundry.

I should also note that I have been using bars leak at every coolant change and I have to assume that this is what kept the leak at bay. The silicone that someone put over it in the past should never have held all these years.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Some HT4100s did have casting porosity problems, but I've never heard of someone who owned one. If the hole is small, I'd try the peening method first.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

The later factory service manuals talk of this and said to use JB WELD.

I used the peening method then put epoxy over it and it's not leaking so far. A guy at work claims to have sealed a head gasket leak with this product http://www.barsproducts.com/1111.htm It's a new product from Bars Leaks, you don't have to remove the coolant, sounds interesting to prevent future leaks. I called advance auto parts and it's 29.99 so it's seems well worth it if it really works.

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by mike57 View Post
    I used the peening method then put epoxy over it and it's not leaking so far. A guy at work claims to have sealed a head gasket leak with this product http://www.barsproducts.com/1111.htm It's a new product from Bars Leaks, you don't have to remove the coolant, sounds interesting to prevent future leaks. I called advance auto parts and it's 29.99 so it's seems well worth it if it really works.
    That sounds like a guaranteed way to clog up your heater core. Since it's not leaking with your epoxy fix, just leave it the way it is and drive it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.