4.5 comparied to a 4.9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.5 comparied to a 4.9 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok i just want to know what if any diffrance is the 4.9 to the 4.5 . i know the ...
    quins90lac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac sedan devile

4.5 comparied to a 4.9

Ok i just want to know what if any diffrance is the 4.9 to the 4.5 . i know the displacement .but from what Ive seen it the post hear they use the same size pistons and allot of the other parts are the same so whats the big diffrance could it be the heads and the intake manifold if so could int to put the heads and the intake off of a 4.9 and put them on to a 4.5 and have a 4.9 or is the bolt pattern different between the 2 engines

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Chicano-Mexicano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado Sports Coupe

Re: 4.5 comparied to a 4.9

4.9 Puts out a tiny bit more horsepowers 200bhp V 155bhp as well as an insignificantly improved amount torque 275 ft/lb V 240 ft/lb it also had sequential port fuel injection as apposed to the 4.5 digital fuel injection a fancy term for TBI.

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by quins90lac View Post
    Ok i just want to know what if any diffrance is the 4.9 to the 4.5 . i know the displacement .but from what Ive seen it the post hear they use the same size pistons and allot of the other parts are the same so whats the big diffrance could it be the heads and the intake manifold if so could int to put the heads and the intake off of a 4.9 and put them on to a 4.5 and have a 4.9 or is the bolt pattern different between the 2 engines
    The 4.5 in your 1990 Deville was kind of unique in that it was built only in 1990 and was very similar to the 4.9. It had 180 hp and had Multiport Fuel Injection like the 4.9. The heads, intake manifold and rods were also the same as the 4.9. However, it used it's own unique pistons which were different from the earlier 88/89 4.5's. The 1990 4.5L used the same block casting as the 88-90 version 4.5L. It was the 1632925 block with all the bosses for the roller cam holddowns. Also, the cranks used in this engine were the same as the 4.1L and earlier 4.5L engines.

If you want to get more power out of your 4.5L, the Allante intake manifold along with Allante heads will yield 20 hp extra but at the expense of low rpm torque. The intake will also get in the way with your vacuum boost unit. This is the reason why I have never seen it done.

quins90lac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac sedan devile

so even though they use allot of the same parts the block them self are difrent and now knowing that they only made my engine it 1990 it really pisses me off that the trans shop i took it to when i started havening problems with the first on screwed me .cause when i first took it to the guy he had it like 2 days and said to would be 2000 to rebuild the trans cause i had burnt the cluches out in it but it drove fine when i first took it to him and when i went to go pick it up cause i was int paying out no 2000 when the rebuild kit for it only cost 180 he did int put the trans fluid back it to it .so I'm going down the road doing about 30 and booom the trans goes and well it to out a chunk of my engine .Lesson learned don't trust a clean manic .

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by quins90lac View Post
    so even though they use allot of the same parts the block them self are difrent and now knowing that they only made my engine it 1990 it really pisses me off that the trans shop i took it to when i started havening problems with the first on screwed me .cause when i first took it to the guy he had it like 2 days and said to would be 2000 to rebuild the trans cause i had burnt the cluches out in it but it drove fine when i first took it to him and when i went to go pick it up cause i was int paying out no 2000 when the rebuild kit for it only cost 180 he did int put the trans fluid back it to it .so I'm going down the road doing about 30 and booom the trans goes and well it to out a chunk of my engine .Lesson learned don't trust a clean manic .
    This is not the first I've heard of this happening. I actually had a friend that this happened too. The transmission mechanic put just enough fluid in it for the car to go but in little time, the transmission would have burned up. Luckily, we sensed that the transmission shop was not honest and we checked the fluid level and added about 3 quarts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.