Th-th-th-that's all folks!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Th-th-th-that's all folks! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Looks like I got the head gasket failure and might be time to say goodbye to this project. Also while ...
    nycnftm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Eldorado

Th-th-th-that's all folks!

Looks like I got the head gasket failure and might be time to say goodbye to this project. Also while I can still ask. I noticed this when I was putting the Bars Leak into the new radiator and saw that the new upper hose isn't getting hot. Probably the water pump gone too? And finally what would this repair cost it I chose to do it. Bad week all around, my mom had an accident and had to have surgery then a few days later the vet found an eight pound cancerous tumor in my dog. Sammy's surgery cost me around $2000, and you thought Cadillacs were expensive!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Re: Th-th-th-that's all folks!

Ouch. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It'll probably be best to put in a new/replacement/junkyard engine if you head gasket has failed. It's highly likely you'll need a new camshaft and crankshaft/main bearings if that's indeed the case. So, if you can find a good engine with low miles, it probably would cost about 8-10 hrs of labor to put the engine in.

Korky519 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I hope Sammy recovers quickly and completely!

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

The upper radiator hose being not hot ... I would say check the thermostat (looks like it never opens).

Thank you for the well wishers of Sammy!!

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Quote Originally Posted by nycnftm View Post
    Looks like I got the head gasket failure and might be time to say goodbye to this project. Also while I can still ask. I noticed this when I was putting the Bars Leak into the new radiator and saw that the new upper hose isn't getting hot. Probably the water pump gone too? And finally what would this repair cost it I chose to do it. Bad week all around, my mom had an accident and had to have surgery then a few days later the vet found an eight pound cancerous tumor in my dog. Sammy's surgery cost me around $2000, and you thought Cadillacs were expensive!
    Sorry about all the troubles.Life is truly cruel at times and is not fair at all.Hopefully things will get better.

quins90lac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac sedan devile

man thats gotta suck my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family also your dog. yeah i did think cadillacs were expensive but after a 2000 vet bill i see why some dr's and vet"s drive cadillacs

Yeah the vet's certainly got one on you. Here are your choices surgery $2000 or you best friend will die within a few days. At least when the mechanic says $2000 or you car will die you can say oh well, Ill get to it eventually. My dead Eldorado is sitting in the driveway, but my dog is alive and doing great she walks a bit further every day.

ChadTanner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Sounds like a classic case of "air in the cooling system". I'm wondering,because you said "new radiator",did you burp the cooling system? I never heard of such a procedure,untill I overhauled my 92 deville.I was a very confused person,watching the new engine with new everything, overheating,with the rad full of coolent.I thought everything from defective thermostat or water pump ,wrong or upside down head gasket.the coolent just would not circulate.I talked to the caddy dealership,they asked me if I burped the system,I said wtf you talking about willis.......well that was my problem.

themadwacker1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

(ChadTanner) listen to this guy he knows what he's talking about. I just went though the same thing with my 93 Seville.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Well, at least the vet can afford to fix the head gasket in his Cadillac.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

93DevilleUSMC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)

How's your dog doing, sir?

Dog is doing great. Thx for asking! She got a blood test and some sort of shot yesterday to boost her blood cell count. The dr asked me to buy and cook liver and feed it to her daily to help her produce blood cells faster. Only for her would I cook liver an make my house smell so bad. YUCK!

Could you explain burp your system. I got the dog bill paid and got tired of messing around with the car myself and took it to a heating and cooling shop. The guy was very helpful and honest. He was going to pressure test the system. So far he said my thermostat wasn't opening soon enough and will have to replace it. He said he put 12v to the horns and they blew so loud he said it made him jump!

Think I found an honest mechanic next door to the honest vet!

93DevilleUSMC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)

Quote Originally Posted by nycnftm View Post
    Dog is doing great. Thx for asking! She got a blood test and some sort of shot yesterday to boost her blood cell count. The dr asked me to buy and cook liver and feed it to her daily to help her produce blood cells faster. Only for her would I cook liver an make my house smell so bad. YUCK!

Could you explain burp your system. I got the dog bill paid and got tired of messing around with the car myself and took it to a heating and cooling shop. The guy was very helpful and honest. He was going to pressure test the system. So far he said my thermostat wasn't opening soon enough and will have to replace it. He said he put 12v to the horns and they blew so loud he said it made him jump!

Think I found an honest mechanic next door to the honest vet!
    That's good about your dog! Keep us posted!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.