HT 4100 4.1 motor problems - giving up
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, HT 4100 4.1 motor problems - giving up in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 1985 Fleetwood Brougham which is loaded, and even has a moonroof that works. When I test drove ...
    Korky519 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

HT 4100 4.1 motor problems - giving up

I have a 1985 Fleetwood Brougham which is loaded, and even has a moonroof that works. When I test drove the car three years ago, it rode wonderfully but I soon learned after buying it that it definitely did not like the highway! It ticks after a highway drive and a slight bottom end knock can be heard, depending on how long it's driven on the highway. However, the car has run like that for the entire length of my ownership, and I've never broken down in it. The motor's noises have not become any louder over time, either. Some have suggested I just keep driving it like that, but it is worrisome on trips, to say the least. There is some rust, but other than that the car is worth putting in a motor. My question is if anybody knows if the 4.1 or 4.5 replacements are even better, and worth the $4,000 I'm being quoted for the installation. I'm told those are the only motors that can be put in due to the bolt patterns, etc. I'm not a mechanic, so cannot do it myself to save the money. If the same problem will occur down the road due it it being the same type of motor, I'd just as soon sell the car to someone who can do the work themselves and give the car a better home. If anyone is interested in it please feel free to let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Lithorian is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9 Liter, 1988 Camaro Iroc-Z 5.0 Liter

Re: HT 4100 4.1 motor problems - giving up

do the 4.5 upgrade....

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

This is a RWD car so a 4.5 upgrade is not one of your choices. You need a RWD block such as a Chevy/Oldsmobile 350 or Cadillac 368. If you're going to keep the same transmission, you'll have to make sure that your transmission will mate up to the new engine. Another possibility is to put in a Cadillac 472/500 fitted to a TH-400 or 4L80E transmission.

Unless you really like this car, it probably won't be worth financially to do the conversion. You would be better of to find a clean 1991 Cadillac Broughham that already has a 350 motor in it.

Hmm. The shop who I called about replacing the engine had said they'd go with the 4.5, and they knew it was RWD. That makes me not have much faith in their work, if the 4.5 can't even go into this car! Argh. I would love to have a 350 in it but realize it's more work than I could pay for. I think I will follow your advice and start fresh with another year. Thank you. I'll put this car into the papers right away and see what happens. The rust is mostly at the bottom of the doors and can be replaced, so maybe someone will be interested since it has a moonroof, etc. I'm definitely going to look for another one with a moonroof.

Yes, you asked your question at the right place.

Unlike the 4.1 which had a FWD and RWD block, the 4.5 block only came in FWD configuration so I don't know how they thought that they were going to make this engine work.

If you like your body style, 1980 with the 368 was a good year. Also the last couple of years that had a 350 TBI and 4L60E was good as well. However, finding one with a moonroof won't be easy. That was a rare option.

I'm glad I checked here first. Thank you! I am looking for another car.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I think an Olds 307/350 swap would be the cheapest way out for whoever gets the car. A Chev 305/700r4 would be a worthwhile swap too. I hope somebody fixes the car because I love a Caddy with a moonroof.

Lithorian is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9 Liter, 1988 Camaro Iroc-Z 5.0 Liter

oops didnt realize it was rwd

Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

Those 368's only came with a 3 speed tranny, gas mileage is terrible. Wonder how they so with a 4 speed

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Deville View Post
    Those 368's only came with a 3 speed tranny, gas mileage is terrible. Wonder how they so with a 4 speed
    Huh??? I had a friend with one of these cars and he would get in the lower 20's on the freeway.

mannerpanner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac: 1985 CoupDeVille, 1973 Eldorado, 1996 SedanDeVille

If you drop in a 307 you'll never have a problem again. Worthwhile swap.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.