car took a dump today
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, car took a dump today in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The car has been running fantastic since the last bit of work. No problems at all, really. I've even taken ...
    ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

car took a dump today

The car has been running fantastic since the last bit of work. No problems at all, really. I've even taken it on a couple of medium distance drives over to the next state a couple of times for day trips and it's done fantastic, singing along at 70 MPH and getting 30 MPG.

Today I went to the parts store for some stuff for my Jeep Cherokee and when I came home, I went to the end of the cul-de-sac, did a three point turn and backed into my yard like I do every day. On the last reverse into my yard the car started making a really horrible noise.

I turned it off, since the Jeep was blocking the driveway, and after I finished putting that back together went and started the Cadillac again. It makes a sound that is a combination of a spark plug missing and a hole in the exhaust, I mean it just sounds bad man. It is even worse when I put it in gear, then it sounds like the exhaust and transmission are both going to fall out, with a whole symphony of nasty noises coming from everywhere.

****ing POS took a dump today that's for sure.

Any thoughts? I'm broke after doing a bunch of body and interior work on the Jeep and won't be able to do anything until June so I'm open to guesses and poking at what I'm told.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

quins90lac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac sedan devile

Re: car took a dump today

could it posably be the o2 sensor broke off i know when mine did it made a really bad noise like a hole in the exhaust

I finished working on the Jeep and took another look and listen to the Caddy. I'm guessing it threw a piston or a valve or something. It is definitely missing on one cylinder, and it makes a POP POP POP noise where the miss is. Also the oil level is higher than usual, and the coolant reservoir is low, although both of them look fine.

It might be something simple and it was not run more than a minute or two since it happened, but at this point I am guessing that I will have to do the 4.9 swap in June.

Lithorian is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9 Liter, 1988 Camaro Iroc-Z 5.0 Liter

your coolant may have poured into your engine via the intake, emulsifying and effectively lowering your oil's ability to lubricate, destroying the interior of your motor.

That would be expected from long periods of mixing, but I doubt it's the case with one or two minutes

OTOH who gives a shit, the engine is blown

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Broken rocker arm supports.

Lithorian is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9 Liter, 1988 Camaro Iroc-Z 5.0 Liter

that is a very good possibility, rip the valve covers off man, see hwat it looks like :P

gmp428 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Brougham

you might be having the same problem as me. every now and then (like 3 or 4 times)i would start mine and it would make this horrible noise like something was rubbing up on the fan or like there was a hole in the exhaust. it would go away after like ten seconds and i would just drive. eventually it got to the point where i couldnt even drive and it would stall the engine. at the same time i noticed that my oil level was high and my coolant was low. turned out to be a blown intake manifold gasket. check your oil fill cap, mine was covered in caramel shi$ cuz of the mixture of the oil and coolant with the pellets. i decided that if im going that far into breaking the engine down, i might as well do head gaskets just to be safe. all i got left is the right head, which is a PITA, then i can start putting everything back together. good luck man!!!!!

Given that the intake gasket was just recently replaced, it's a good theory

Quote Originally Posted by illumina View Post
    Broken rocker arm supports.
    the mechanic says there is a broken rocker arm cradle

that doesn't explain the oil and coolant levels, but that could be something else, or a figment of my imagination

I got it back yesterday and the thing is running like a top again. Since it only ran for less than a minute after the rocker cradle broke, there was no valve damage. There are some other problems with the innards of the thing and it will still need to be replaced sooner than later, however my Jeep engine is even worse so I am going to go back to finishing that project.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.