sings of a head gasket falure in a 4.5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, sings of a head gasket falure in a 4.5 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ok question i have a 1990 Cadillac De ville and i was just wondering what are some sings of head ...
    quins90lac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac sedan devile

sings of a head gasket falure in a 4.5

ok question i have a 1990 Cadillac De ville and i was just wondering what are some sings of head gasket failure in this engine? so far i haven't noticed any sweet smell from the exhaust nor bubbling in the over flow tank when cold the only thing is lately the stop engine temp light flickers on and off a idle and if i get on the gas and hold it at about 2000 rpm it comes on and start dinging and just today i noticed some little blackish brown clumps that you can squish in between your fingers in the over flow tank. so im just wondering if its head gasket related or engine oil cooler has went bad and if so how hard is it to replace . i have lines that go in to both sides of my radiator im asumeing one is oil and the other is trans .so do i have to replace just that part of the whole radiator

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Re: sings of a head gasket falure in a 4.5

The good news is that having head gaskets go out on a 4.5 is rare. Often, head gasket failure is mistaken for failed intake manifold gaskets.

The radiators are not very expensive from www.rockauto.com and relatively painless to change out. If your car still has it's original radiator, perhaps you might just want to change it out for preventative maintenance. There nothing more frustrating than to be sitting on the side of the road with a radiator that has failed and faced with a $250 towing bill when you could have bought a new radiator for around 1/2 the towing price.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

You need to check to see if the car is actually overheating, or if the coolant fan module is bad. Watch parameter P.0.4 when driving. It shouldn't get above 105 or so in normal driving and cruising down the road should stay around 95. Also, milkshake oil is a telltale sign of a head gasket or intake gasket leak.

my oil is still good no bubbles or any thing like that its still like new i just changed it like 2 weeks ago but my antifreeze looks like it has an oily film to it i replaced the watter pump like 3 or so months ago and when i did i striped out the threads on like 2 of the bolts that go in it so i put in bars stop leak (I know I probly should int have used this but it was a get me home fix) until i could get some time serts to put in it could this be a result of the stop leak or did my oil coolant tank on my radiator fail cause for the past 4-5 days the stop engine temp has been on and then off then flickers then starts to chime

well its day 5 of trying to figure out what the problem is i tried seeing if there was a air bubble in it i think i got all the air out of the system and put some more antifreeze in seamed to help a little bit .then i pulled the dip stick and noticed some little bubbles in the oil and what looks like some metal shavings so I'm wondering if i could have spun a bearing on the crankshaft or camshaft witch i don't under stand cause Ive never let it go past 3000 on an oil change and a new filter every time and its only got about 80000 or 90000 on the engine so if i did do that would it cause the stop engine temp to come on cause of the friction caused by the bearing

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

An oily film in the anti freeze could also be one of your cooler lines leaking inside the radiator. I've seen a couple of these 4.x Devilles (mine included) with the trans cooler lines bypassed to just the aux cooler. I saw a Buick last summer with a lot ATF in the anti freeze and wondered why it's always the trans line and not the oil line. Is there any red to your oily film? Maybe your thermostat is sticking or acting up.

well found the problem with the stop engine temp light it was some thing so simple i don't know what i did int check it sooner it was the wire going to the engine metal temp switch so i hooked it back up and wala no light so tomarow I'm going to paint KISS ( keap it simple stupid ) on my tool box I'm going to see about getting another radiator and change out the trans fluid and the engine oil and do a flush on the colling system and hopefully that will fix it

HUF
    HUF is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Thanks for posting your findings! Hopefully, your cooling systen is fine. Head gaskets rarely fail on 4.9 engines.

Naw i don't think the cooling system is hurt that bad other then what it already was theres a crack in the right radiator tank its a use radiator though so i already know i need a another used radiator . i know used ain't relay the way to go but you figure used tire like 60-70 a piece and a new one is like 200 and used fits my budget better

HUF
    HUF is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by quins90lac View Post
    Naw i don't think the cooling system is hurt that bad other then what it already was theres a crack in the right radiator tank its a use radiator though so i already know i need a another used radiator . i know used ain't relay the way to go but you figure used tire like 60-70 a piece and a new one is like 200 and used fits my budget better
    Get a brand new aftermarket for less than $150. When my side tanks went south I bought them from gmpartsdirect.com and replaced keeping the original core. Not a difficult task, but time consuming. Two tanks with all the gaskets were about $70. My advise would be an aftermaket NEW radiator.

nycnftm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Eldorado

I paid $30 for a used radiator at Pull-a-part with a 30 day warranty then had a radiator shop rod, core, boil and paint it for $65. Good as new

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.