'86 DeVille rear main seal
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, '86 DeVille rear main seal in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; '86 - Sedan DeVille - 4.1 I had a minor oil leak as of a couple of weeks ago. I ...
    ojaihockey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

'86 DeVille rear main seal

'86 - Sedan DeVille - 4.1

I had a minor oil leak as of a couple of weeks ago. I drove home one night and found a line of oil on the driveway were I had come in. Now the car dumps oil every time I turn it on. It looks like it's coming from right beside the driveplate. Is it possible that this is anything other than the rear main seal? I don't think it's the valve cover - there's not any oil much above the bottom of the engine.
    If this is the rear seal it sounds like I'm looking at pulling the engine or getting somebody to drop the trans for me? What am I looking at if I pull the engine? I'm pretty good at building stuff and working with my hands, but the most major car project I've ever done was to change a radiator. Roughly how many hours is this likely to take? Are the air conditioning lines going to be a problem?
    A local shop said they could drop the trans for about 400 bucks. I don't exactly have an excess of time or money, and I'd kind of like to get the experience myself if I can, so I'm not sure which way I should go.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: '86 DeVille rear main seal

I would wipe off the oil as much as possible and see if I could find out exactly where it is coming from. A rear main seal usually doesn't leave a line of oil while you drive. I'm not sure if the 86 has an oil cooler or not but I would look at those hoses first. If it's leaking that much it shouldn't be too hard to find it. I just replaced an oil pan last summer on a Buick that rusted right through.

FrankC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '86 Eldorado, 4.1L, 180k

My 86 Eldorado has oil cooling lines. And one of the O rings on the engine end of one of the lines was leaking. It wouldn't "leave a line" of oil, but it leaked a lot! And it was hard to find because it was at the top of the engine where the oil filter mounts and ran down the back side of the engine. I replaced the pan gasket before realizing where the leak actually was.

still_walkin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan

i have the same problem and the local shop told me 800 but it was a foriegn shop and they wasnt fimilar with cadillac so i m going to go for a second opinion but on the other note keep me posted

Angry Re: '86 DeVille rear main seal

Well guys, I finally took my car in after looking all over it in the hope it wasn't the main seal. The mechanic took the tranny off, and guess what! It wasn't the main seal, it was a crack above it in the block A local welder tried to weld it today to no avail. It's cracked pretty badly right next to the cam plug. Anybody know where I could get a cheap engine? Or unload a dud car with a real nice interior?

still_walkin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan

Try ebay or craigs lit they always have an old deville 4 sell

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by ojaihockey View Post
    Well guys, I finally took my car in after looking all over it in the hope it wasn't the main seal. The mechanic took the tranny off, and guess what! It wasn't the main seal, it was a crack above it in the block A local welder tried to weld it today to no avail. It's cracked pretty badly right next to the cam plug. Anybody know where I could get a cheap engine? Or unload a dud car with a real nice interior?
    Is this car FWD?
    I would go to the junkyard or look on craigslist for a 4.5 or 4.9 that has no more than 120k miles. The price should be less than $300 if you're wondering.

Yes it is FWD. Can I put on a 4.5 or 4.9 in place of a 4.1?

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by ojaihockey View Post
    Yes it is FWD. Can I put on a 4.5 or 4.9 in place of a 4.1?
    Yes

You can do a search find lots of useful information regarding this conversion. The easiest is to install an 88/89 TBI 4.5 that's 155 hp. Should you go with a 200 hp 4.9, it'll require an adjustable FPR to dial in the extra fuel requirements of the larger displacement engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.