radiator 1983 Eldorado refurb?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, radiator 1983 Eldorado refurb? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My lower hose gave out this weekend, on my way to a first date and had to have the car ...
    nycnftm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Eldorado

radiator 1983 Eldorado refurb?

My lower hose gave out this weekend, on my way to a first date and had to have the car towed home. Now that the radiator is empty and I am replacing the upper and lower hoses I wanted to ask you guys about refurbishing the radiator. The inside looks like crap. I will get a pic to attach tomorrow. An after-market replacement is about $200, but can I bring it to a radiator shop and have them go over it for less? Is this a good idea? Found this place which is about a 30 mile drive that I will contact on Monday radiator repair shop

Suggestions?
    Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: radiator 1983 Eldorado refurb?

If it were mine, I'd replace both hoses fill the radiator with fresh water only and make sure no further engine damage. If, after a week all's well, then replace the radiator. If the car were newer I'd tell you to have it rodded out, but it being this old it will probably come apart in the cleaning process. New radiator requires the addition of the sealant listed on the white decal on the plate in front of the radiator.

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Have you checked the price at www.rockauto.com?

When mine went out, I was able to buy a radiator from them for cheaper than having mine rebuilt.

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

I bought a new radiator from rockauto for my 93 for about 130. Local shop wanted 100 to repair my cracked side tank.

I figured if I was going to pull the radiator I wanted to put a new one back in just incase the repair of the old didnt work so i didnt have to do it twice

Well think we discovered why I was overheating. I brought the original radiator to a radiator shop where they were going to rod/boil/clean it out only to tell me its FUBAR. Instead of buying a new one for $275 I bought a junkyard one with a warranty for $35 and brought it to be cleaned and pressured tested. So should I no longer use Bars Leaks or does it help the engine too? Hopefully I'll be driving again by Friday!!!

I would add bars leak anyway, If used right it really cant hurt anything. Just use the recommended amount and you will be good.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

there is a decal on the radiator crossbrace that demands the use of coolant supplement or sealer. The service manual says MUST be used every 2 years when coolant is drained and changed. This engine would corrode the intake gaskets and dump coolant on the camshaft if coolant is not replaced at a minimum of 2 years. Bars leak Gold is the same as GM supplement.

What s/b an easy thing is driving me nuts. I'm trying to get the metal lines in front of the radiator between it and the condenser screwed back in. Taking them out I scratched myself up pretty good, but now cannot get the top one on at all. Can you unscrew them at the connectors and put them on before dropping the radiator down? That would be so much easier.
    Andrew I tried and they won't budge, I think if I twist too hard they will break and I'll really be f'ed. I might try putting wd40 on it and hope to get it apart there. Any suggestions?

It is a refurb radiator correct? Was it origionally out of a caddy?

I had to get little adapters for my new one to hook the lines back up.

Yes it's the same thing out of an 85. Where did you find the adapters? The bottom one went in sorta fine the top one is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nycnftm View Post
    Yes it's the same thing out of an 85. Where did you find the adapters? The bottom one went in sorta fine the top one is the problem.
    If it is out of the same model i wouldnt worry about adapters. My radiator was a aftermarket one that came with the needed adapters. I am not sure what the problem with yours is. If the bottom one didnt go on that tight it will probably leak. Mine is a 4.9 so I am not sure what differences their is in the radiator.

Sorry I couldnt help more

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.