The Surge - in my 4.9, not Iraq... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, The Surge - in my 4.9, not Iraq... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Folks, I am continuing to experience what seems to be some TPS/ISC problem. Since my last post, I had a ...
    EldoRedo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ETC (Crimson)

Re: The Surge - in my 4.9, not Iraq...

Folks,

I am continuing to experience what seems to be some TPS/ISC problem. Since my last post, I had a mechanic look at the TPS and he claimed all is well. Here are my current symptoms:

1. motor is running a little bit rough -- jittery. This comes and goes a bit but I can feel it's just not quite as smooth as it should be when idling -- and accelleration is not as smooth, either.

2. Car will regularly slowly continue to accellerate after I've given it some gas in the 20-30 MPH range but I have released the pedal. This dies off after maybe 15 seconds.

Current codes set are E055, TPS misadjusted, and E098, idle shifting problem (fairly minor code). Obviously one possible conclusion is that the mechanic was wrong. He also made some comment downplaying an ISC problem, saying it somehow wouldn't come into play in the scenerio I'm describing?

Also is this something a good service station mechanic ought to be able to solve, or is it better to take it to the dealer (which I hate)?

Thanks for any insights!

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

You have been given the proper way to verify and/or adjust the TPS by AWADECKI. If you are not comfortable doing it, print the instructions given and let someone else do it. You have a classic case of a misadjusted TPS. Even the on board diagnostics say so.

EldoRedo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ETC (Crimson)

OK will do. Thanks.

revdowrong is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 91 sedan deville

Yeah I had that same problem on my 91' cadillac sedan deville. Your TPS is misadjusted and angle to high. Causing your car to accelarate on its own.

Slacker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Hmm... I might have to try this on my Deville... it does the same thing just no codes are set. (Or have been set lately). I've posted before wondering about the ISC, but thanks to the post above, at least I can rule out the TPS. Thanks!~

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.