4.9 switched to 87 oct., hard starts, re-time? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 switched to 87 oct., hard starts, re-time? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Mine looks almost just like that except I have a gray interior. I believe the air suspension in the back ...
    LikeaDream is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Eldorado ETC

Re: 4.9 switched to 87 oct., hard starts, re-time?

Mine looks almost just like that except I have a gray interior. I believe the air suspension in the back works because when I turn the key to on usually after a few seconds the compressors make a noise but I don't feel much in the way of movement. I used to, however.

That reminds me to ask... I've noticed in about the last week when I turn the key to "on" but don't crank the engine I get a little electric motor noise that's enough to lightly vibrate the shift column handle (floor mounted shifter) and it is constant and will not go away unless I'm actually running the car. Anybody know what that is? It seems to be directly under and maybe slightly forward of the shifter.

92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

never heard of that one.
    you have floor or steering wheel shifter?

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

I always run premium in my 4.9 liter----let`s face it,the engine was designed to burn premium fuel so i give it the right stuff.
    Back in the early to mid 1990`s,when the 4.9`s were produced----gas prices were reasonable------not absurd as they are now.
    For a couple of tankfills last year i tried 87 & 89 octane -----it knocked under load on 87 octane,and knocked less on 89 octane-----so ever since,91-93 octane only.It`s 20 cents a gallon difference between regular and premium---reasonable.

Murphyg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

Hey............92 Eldo.......Hey.........LikeaDream...
    Get a room eh or at least your own thread
    Quote Originally Posted by LikeaDream View Post
    Mine looks almost just like that except I have a gray interior. I believe the air suspension in the back works because when I turn the key to on usually after a few seconds the compressors make a noise but I don't feel much in the way of movement. I used to, however.

That reminds me to ask... I've noticed in about the last week when I turn the key to "on" but don't crank the engine I get a little electric motor noise that's enough to lightly vibrate the shift column handle (floor mounted shifter) and it is constant and will not go away unless I'm actually running the car. Anybody know what that is? It seems to be directly under and maybe slightly forward of the shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by 92EldoTC View Post
    Does your automatic level system work?
    The compressor on mine used to run all the time and you could actually hear it running.
    The dent on mine came from somebody backing into it and it messed up the air compressor for the rear suspension so the car was a little low in the back but it was cool because it looked like it had been lowered.
    The rear driver side wheel was a little bent also, the top of the wheel was in more than the bottom so it looked like the car was carrying too much weight on that side in the rear. That tire though didnt wear uneven and didnt affect the way the car drove.
    Here are some pics, check it out!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...some-pics.html

Quote Originally Posted by pompste View Post
    I always run premium in my 4.9 liter----let`s face it,the engine was designed to burn premium fuel so i give it the right stuff.
    Back in the early to mid 1990`s,when the 4.9`s were produced----gas prices were reasonable------not absurd as they are now.
    For a couple of tankfills last year i tried 87 & 89 octane -----it knocked under load on 87 octane,and knocked less on 89 octane-----so ever since,91-93 octane only.It`s 20 cents a gallon difference between regular and premium---reasonable.
    Thanx pomp for tryin to get it back on track

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Murphyg View Post

Murph--please clean your glasses. This IS LikeaDream's thread.

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Quote Originally Posted by Murphyg View Post
    Thanx pomp for tryin to get it back on track
    You`re welcome----it happens sometimes that a thread will evolve/get off track from the original,but sometimes it`s a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RightTurn View Post
    Murph--please clean your glasses. This IS LikeaDream's thread.
    Howd you know I needed glasses ???

Whoooooo........

Guess I only went back 2 instead of 3.
    Sorry guys. Thanx for lettin me know.......

guess could almost call this a bump now.

BTW.....If it is figured out....then gotta be added here. Hopefully it will help others whilst searching....

Sory gain

EldoRedo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ETC (Crimson)

Count me among the 4.9 owners who have advanced the timing -- I'm at 13 degrees. It does take advantage of the 93 octane's energy. I have only had knocking a very few times on the hottest summer days accellerating on an upgrade. In return I get more HP and better MPG.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.