93 Won't Start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 93 Won't Start in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I recently acquired a 93 Deville, when I go to turn the key to the on position (before cranking it) ...
    93cADi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Cadillac Deville

93 Won't Start

I recently acquired a 93 Deville, when I go to turn the key to the on position (before cranking it) I hear this clicking noise. I have narrowed the noise down to the ignition coil, so I replaced it and it started. Roughly but it started, ten minutes later it is doing the same damn thing. The only thing that I don't have hooked up is the radio, but none of the wires are touching. Please help I am just trying to sell this once I get it to run.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Re: 93 Won't Start

I am sorry...I read the post three times, but could not understand a thing... What is the clicking thing and what does it have to do with starting? Am I missing the point?

When I turn the key to the on position there is a clicking noise coming from the coil. After I replaced it, the noise went away and it started, then it started clicking again and won't start.

HUF

Okay... Did it start before you replaced the coil?
    The clicking sound might come from idle speed control motor. It moves to get the right position when energized (Ignition ON, engine OFF).

Yes it would start and then die would that idle speed control motor keep it from not starting?

HUF

I do not think ISC motor would prevent starting. On the other hand, if throttle position sensor, minimum air. etc are not set correctly the RPM may be too low (<450), and the engine will eventually stall. Pull the troube codes by pressing Warmer and Off simultaneously for a few seconds. I believe you will see some distributor related codes.

The problem with trying to get the codes is I can't pull the display up on the car. The guy before me took the radio out and said that some of them wires work the display. So unless you have any tips on getting the display to work, I can't see the codes.

HUF

Quote Originally Posted by 93cADi View Post
    The problem with trying to get the codes is I can't pull the display up on the car. The guy before me took the radio out and said that some of them wires work the display. So unless you have any tips on getting the display to work, I can't see the codes.
    Unfortunately, I cannot help you with display.

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Their is a diagnostic connector under the ashtray , sorta tucked behind the dash. Maybe look into getting/borrowing a external scanner to read the codes. An autopart store may do it for you free if you call around. Besides that you may just need to hit a junk yard and get a radio to install temporarily. Let them know your situation and maybe they will cut you a deal if you give it back when done.

Do you have bare wires or are they still in 2 bunldes with the connector on the end?

Also make sure the dash brightness is turned up using the headlight knob.

One last question. Is the dash/spedo digital or analog?

I have the radio in and I think it is all hooked up right, and I messed with the dimmer switch and nothing happens. The speedo is analog

if the radio is installed, and none of the fuel economy, climate control lights work I would start to look at fuses.

I've never had this problem before, but when i installed my new radio i saw wires for light dimming, I didnt hook them up to the new head unit but all my lights still work , My only idea beyond that is to get a external scanner and plug into the port under the dash. called the ALDL connector

hthorn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Check to ensure the connectors at the rear of the displays were not loosened or removed during the radio install...Also, there is one wire on the (+) battery terminal which may not be making contact; disconnect the (-) terminal first, then remove the (+), file each one lightly, then reattach & clamp 'em down tightly...I've seen this cause the displays not to work, but the car still starts & runs. Might be worth a try.

lenny lincoln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

unplug the Tps and see if it starts. YOu should be able to keep it running with light throttle, if its a tps or ICA. Could be weak fuel pump. dump some fuel down the carb and see it runs. Could be a clogged fuel filter, could be the gas pressure regulator. Obviously you got spark but not enough gas.

Where is the TPS at and ICA?

Where is the TPS at and ICA?
    Tps is mounted to the backside of the throttle body. Its a small piece of black plastic about 2 in long.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.