Got new plugs/wires installed on 4.9 today.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Got new plugs/wires installed on 4.9 today. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I had new plugs/wires,distrubutor cap & rotor installed on my 1995 Sedan Deville 4.9 liter today at my local trusted ...
    pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Got new plugs/wires installed on 4.9 today.

I had new plugs/wires,distrubutor cap & rotor installed on my 1995 Sedan Deville 4.9 liter today at my local trusted Meineke service center.I requested the mechanic that had the most experience with this job on the 4.9 liter engine.
    I would have liked to have done this job myself,but after looking at the difficulty of accessing the plugs and reading many posts here on the subject,i decided to have a pro do it.
    I watched the mechanic do the job from start to finish and actually helped him by providing a light source on hard to light areas.He wizzed through the #1-3-5-7 plugs on the front rather easily--having the right tools is the key.He got the # 2 & 4 plugs from underneath the vehicle rather easily also.The # 6 & 8 plugs had to be accessed from the top near the firewall and those were the most difficult to get to--had to go by "feel" as you can`t see holes the plugs go into.
    Routing the wires properly was also a challenge.He got the entire job done,including cap & rotor in 1 hour 45 minutes----impressive,since our local Cadillac dealership had this job listed at 3.5 hours,at $90 an hour labor.
    Meineke only charged me $135 for labor----i supplied all the AC/DELCO parts.

After inspecting all the old platinum-tipped plugs,they could have easily gone another 40,000 miles--they had 58,000 miles on them.The wires needed replacing,so i decided to get the plugs done as well.

I was really impressed by this mechanic who really made a PITA job look relatively easy----and i told him so and i let the owner know also.They allow me to bring in my own oil/filter for oil changes and my own parts also.The only down side to bringing in my own parts is if some part is defective,i have to deal with it rather than Meineke.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: Got new plugs/wires installed on 4.9 today.

Sounds like a pretty good shop. Did your gas mileage go up after the tune up?

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    Sounds like a pretty good shop. Did your gas mileage go up after the tune up?
    Meineke really is a pretty good shop----they always treat me fair.I was actually getting good mileage "before" the tune-up (16 city---24-27 highway).There was a little roughness at low idle before the tune-up,now it has smoothed out completely.
    I expect a slight increase in gas mileage now---i really need to drive it for a couple of weeks to get a fair "average".

Next week i`m getting the original "transmission" oil cooler lines and fuel filter replaced.After one of my "engine" oil cooler lines ruptured last fall and made a real mess of things under the hood,i got the other oil cooler line replaced along with the one that ruptured.My goal this year is to get all the original hoses/cooler lines replaced.When my oil cooler line ruptured,i was real lucky to be just 2 blocks away from another service shop i trust----they had the new lines in and cleaned the oily mess under the hood in under 3 hours.I don`t expect to be that lucky again hence i am getting these other cooler lines replaced BEFORE another rupture happens.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by pompste View Post
    Meineke really is a pretty good shop----they always treat me fair.I was actually getting good mileage "before" the tune-up (16 city---24-27 highway).There was a little roughness at low idle before the tune-up,now it has smoothed out completely.
    I expect a slight increase in gas mileage now---i really need to drive it for a couple of weeks to get a fair "average".

Next week i`m getting the original "transmission" oil cooler lines and fuel filter replaced.After one of my "engine" oil cooler lines ruptured last fall and made a real mess of things under the hood,i got the other oil cooler line replaced along with the one that ruptured.My goal this year is to get all the original hoses/cooler lines replaced.When my oil cooler line ruptured,i was real lucky to be just 2 blocks away from another service shop i trust----they had the new lines in and cleaned the oily mess under the hood in under 3 hours.I don`t expect to be that lucky again hence i am getting these other cooler lines replaced BEFORE another rupture happens.
    While replacing the transmission lines you can run engie in Park to get rid of old ATF COMPLETELY. It takes less than a minute, and that's the only way to get all old ATF out of system. Look closely at powersteering returm lines. They might need replacement as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    While replacing the transmission lines you can run engie in Park to get rid of old ATF COMPLETELY. It takes less than a minute, and that's the only way to get all old ATF out of system. Look closely at powersteering returm lines. They might need replacement as well.
    Thanks for the advice---i`ll check the PS return lines.I had new ATF fluid put in last fall-----so that should be OK.

92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

now that car right there is gonna run for a lot of miles.

I like to hear about cadillac owners properly maintaining their car's.

Quote Originally Posted by 92EldoTC View Post
    now that car right there is gonna run for a lot of miles.

I like to hear about cadillac owners properly maintaining their car's.
    I certainly hope my Caddy runs for a lot of miles! Today i had the original transmission oil cooler lines replaced.Within the next few weeks i`m getting the transmission filter changed along with a new Felpro gasket.
    My '95 Sedan Deville was properly maintained for 11 years by my aunt and her trusted mechanic prior to me owning it and i intend to continue keeping it properly maintained.

the older people who get cadillacs usually maintain them very well, thats why if one is going to buy a used caddy from someone, make sure it is a little old man or lady.

speaking of transmission lines, there are 2 rubber hoses at the front and bottom of the engine bay, you can see them if you open the hood and look straight down. They look like they are leaking a little and it kind of looks like transmission fluid.

they leaked more when i first bought this car but now they dont leak anymore. I checked the fluid level in the transmission and its where it should be.

Question is, what is the name of those two rubber hoses?

Also, I have had this car 2 months and Im not sure when the last time the tranny fluid and filter was changed but it shifts like it just came out of the factory and the fluid is still reddish in color, should I leave it or go ahead and change the fluid and filter?

HUF

the older people who get cadillacs usually maintain them very well, thats why if one is going to buy a used caddy from someone, make sure it is a little old man or lady.

speaking of transmission lines, there are 2 rubber hoses at the front and bottom of the engine bay, you can see them if you open the hood and look straight down. They look like they are leaking a little and it kind of looks like transmission fluid.

they leaked more when i first bought this car but now they dont leak anymore. I checked the fluid level in the transmission and its where it should be.

Also, I have had this car 2 months and Im not sure when the last time the tranny fluid and filter was changed but it shifts like it just came out of the factory and the fluid is still reddish in color, should I leave it or go ahead and change the fluid and filter?
    There are actually four pieces of transmission -related pipes nad hoses. I should have some part numbers somewhere. Not expensive parts. Mine leaked a bit every winter. Finally, decided to replace all of them because of rust.

Hopefully someone will chime in on the 2 hoses in question.As far as the transmission fluid & filter---i`d get them both changed just to be safe if you intend on keeping your Caddy for a long time.On the other hand, be concerned if the tranny fluid changes to a PALE RED color---then it really should be changed.
    That`s amazing that your fluid leak stopped on it`s own.Sometimes just tightening the clamps on those hoses will stop the leak also.

You`re correct on buying used Caddys(or any vehicle really) from older people who had them properly maintained.Even though the woman i bought the Caddy from (my aunt) owned it when her age was 60-71,she drove it hard like a younger person would.She could`nt get to that next stop light quick enough,if you know what i mean.Hopefully her hard driving won`t come back to haunt me.As mentioned before though,she and her mechanic really kept it well maintained---with the records to prove it.

If i were to ever purchase another older Cadillac, outside of my family members,---i would get a CARFAX report on the vehicle.My dream/goal is to own a well maintained '95-'96 Fleetwood Brougham----truly the last of the Cadillac "land yachts"----225 inches long and plenty of interior space.

Quote Originally Posted by pompste View Post
    Hopefully someone will chime in on the 2 hoses in question.As far as the transmission fluid & filter---i`d get them both changed just to be safe if you intend on keeping your Caddy for a long time.On the other hand, be concerned if the tranny fluid changes to a PALE RED color---then it really should be changed.
    That`s amazing that your fluid leak stopped on it`s own.Sometimes just tightening the clamps on those hoses will stop the leak also.

You`re correct on buying used Caddys(or any vehicle really) from older people who had them properly maintained.Even though the woman i bought the Caddy from (my aunt) owned it when her age was 60-71,she drove it hard like a younger person would.She could`nt get to that next stop light quick enough,if you know what i mean.Hopefully her hard driving won`t come back to haunt me.As mentioned before though,she and her mechanic really kept it well maintained---with the records to prove it.

If i were to ever purchase another older Cadillac, outside of my family members,---i would get a CARFAX report on the vehicle.My dream/goal is to own a well maintained '95-'96 Fleetwood Brougham----truly the last of the Cadillac "land yachts"----225 inches long and plenty of interior space.
    I noticed that some old men and women drive their cadillacs with a heavy foot. They probably enjoy the power and comfort of a cadillac but they usually most always take their cars to either a cadillac service center or a good reputable shop. Thats why service records for a used car are so important along with a carfax report, those two tell the life story of a vehicle.

The 95-96 Fleetwood are really the last of the true big cadillacs, they just dont make them like that anymore. That cars styling dates back to the 60's and 70's. The LT1 in that car is the perfect engine for a big car like that. If it had a 4.9 or even a N* it just wouldn't be the same car, it would be a little underpowered as far as low end torque is concerned.

I'm gonna take your advice and change the fluid and filter anyway even though the transmission still shift smooth. I noticed that the fluid color isnt pale red but it's not bright red either.

HUF

I noticed that some old men and women drive their cadillacs with a heavy foot. They probably enjoy the power and comfort of a cadillac but they usually most always take their cars to either a cadillac service center or a good reputable shop. Thats why service records for a used car are so important along with a carfax report, those two tell the life story of a vehicle.

The 95-96 Fleetwood are really the last of the true big cadillacs, they just dont make them like that anymore. That cars styling dates back to the 60's and 70's. The LT1 in that car is the perfect engine for a big car like that. If it had a 4.9 or even a N* it just wouldn't be the same car, it would be a little underpowered as far as low end torque is concerned.

I'm gonna take your advice and change the fluid and filter anyway even though the transmission still shift smooth. I noticed that the fluid color isnt pale red but it's not bright red either.
    It will be bright red ONLY if you change it completely the way I described above. I have changed ATF by dropping the pan several times with the same result - clean but pale red ATF. If I were you I would not really be concerned if the ATF is not burnt.

Its not burnt, although when I wipe it off the dipstick there is black residue that gets on the towel along with the fluid, but the fluid color itself is not burnt.

Glad to see you`re going to get the tranny fluid & filter changed---i`m getting mine changed within the next 2 weeks.It`s always wise to keep fresh fluids & filters in any vehicle if you intend on keeping a vehicle for a long period of time.I kept a previous vehicle i had for exactly 20 years--then donated it to a charity.The engine purred like a kitten right up until i donated it.
    Yes,the '94-'96 Fleetwoods were the last of the "true" big Cadillacs.The styling of those Fleetwoods is very similiar to my '95 Sedan Deville.The extra 15 inches in length on the Fleetwood comes from a longer engine compartment and longer back end.

Those big cadillacs dont take corners too good at a high speed but they are so comfortable on the straight road.
    I guess if they built them to handle like they were on rails it wouldn't be called a Fleetwood or Deville.
    Speaking of which I was doing about 80 going around a slight bend downhill, freeway of course and my Deville with its skinny 205/70's had heavy understeer to the point where I had to brake lightly to slow down a bit.
    The Deville is smaller than the Fleet so I know with more length and weight the Fleet is definately not built to take curves at high speeds.
    Still really well built cars though

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.