82 deville tranny problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 82 deville tranny problems in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; whats up all, i have a 82 sedan deville that i bought a few months ago. the car will be ...
    ed209 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1982 sedan deville

82 deville tranny problems

whats up all, i have a 82 sedan deville that i bought a few months ago. the car will be fine on the city streets but once you go one the freeway and exit the offramp the car will still push once you are almost stopped. and when you start to go again the tranny will shift into 2nd early when the rpm's are low and you can hear the motor knocking when you give it gas. the thing is that it wont do it all the time. also the car only has 63000 miles and i got the deal that everyone looks for= got it from original owner, old man who kept it garaged all of the time. I also found all of the recipts to everything that was done to the car. I also found a recipt to th gm recall regarding the cam issue. any help would be appreciated thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Re: 82 deville tranny problems

sounds like the throttle is not releasing, I'd check for sticky cable, bad TPS, and bad idle controller, in that order

thanks, ill check those out

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

My 84 Eldo does the same exact thing! diagnosed as a sticking TCC solenoid which is located in the trans valve body. To confirm, unplug the wiring plug on the side of the transmission, just above the trans pan. Then drive it. what is happening is the torque converter clutch is not being released. Once the trans goes back to 1st gear the hydrallic circuit blocks out TCC. Its much like a stick shift car that the driver forgets to depress the clutch pedal when coming to a stop. The factory manual tells you to first verify the brake light switch is adjusted to spec on the bracket above the brake pedal. Mine was ok. Mine was acting up after 20 miles at any speed above 60 MPH.

Did you replace the solenoid ED 209?

i havent checked the computer in a couple days . no I havent checked the solenoid yet but I will now thanks. do you remember what it cost to fix?

The computer in my car never set a code ever related to this issue. What did it cost? a $5.00 gasket from a trans shop and $15.00 at the local Pick n Pull wreckers! Drained the recently replaced fluid, dropped down the virtually new trans filter to gain access. Installed the switch and reinstalled filter and pan. Not sure, but I think this solenoid is shared with the 325 4L and the 200R4 transmissions. Yours would be the 200R4 trans. Hardest thing when replacing is routing the wire harness thru the valve body to clear the shift linkage. My old solenoid when shaken, made no noise, the replacement rattled when shook, telling me the pin within it was free, not stuck like mine.

so what did the car do when you unplugged the wiring , will it not shift?

This switch keeps the lock up solenoid from getting voltage. It does not affect the other shifts which are hydrallic. Keep in mind this switch being unplugged only verifies the lock up circuit is faulty, it does not verify a mechanically sticking solenoid. If the voltage signal to the solenoid had been my problem, I would have had a fault code. I did not because the signal was sent by the ECM but the solenoid failed mechanically.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.