I need a new throttle body
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, I need a new throttle body in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The air leak in my 4.1 was traced down to a hairline crack in the butterfly valve pivot rod, so ...
    ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

I need a new throttle body

The air leak in my 4.1 was traced down to a hairline crack in the butterfly valve pivot rod, so all I need is a new throttle body. Should I risk it with a junkyard kit, drop the $300 on a reman, or is there another option that won't require significant levels of hackery? Can I put a 4.5 TB on it? Does anybody sell bored TB sets?

Short-term is to keep the 4.1 running as cheaply as possible without losing functionality, long-term is to swap in a 4.9 longblock with a 4.5 TBI intake.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Re: I need a new throttle body

Gosh, I've never heard of that. Someone must have really cranked down the mounting bolts.

Just get one from a junkyard.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Junk yard. If you are really mechanically inclined, get a throttle body from a 1981 368 cu.in. engine (8-6-4) Larger throttle butterflys bigger bore. Requires swapping over your 2 injectors and your TPS. All the fuel lines and vacuum hoses reconnect. Use a thick base plate gasket to allow the larger throttle blades to clear the holes in your intake manifold. Bump the timing to 12 degrees. Makes a huge difference in off the line throttle response, doesn't affect mileage if you keep your foot out of it! Did this years ago on my 84 Eldo 4100. Would actually chirp the front tires leaving a light!

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

carnut--

Did yours work OK? The car idled/ran fine? Would a throttle body from a 1980 Cadillac work too (6.0L TBI)?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I dont think so, different idle air configuration. When I first did it, I left the injectors from the 368 installed. The car started but ran so rich the converter got red hot!!. So swapped over the 4100's injectors. drove it approx 1 year converted and it was excellent. All you really do is provide more air at a lesser throttle angle so throttle response is better. Wide open throttle is still controlled by the intake manifold as far as how much air gets into the engine. The ISC was the same as far as mounting and adjustment, the TPS must be swapped simply because the wiring plug connected vertically on the 4100 and horizontally on the 368. So the 368's TPS wouldn't clear the manifold enough to get plugged in. To make it completely functional I installed a cruise control servo that a bead chain attached to rather than the rod on my 84 Eldo. So, everything was returned to normal. My latest 84 Eldo will get this mod soon. Not many 81 368's showing up at the wreckers nowadays!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.