4100? worth rebuilding
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4100? worth rebuilding in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i know a few people on here are going to dog on me for asking this question, but i was ...
    96BIG_BODY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

4100? worth rebuilding

i know a few people on here are going to dog on me for asking this question, but i was wondering if anyones ever fixed up a 4100, is there any other parts you can put on to beef it up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

My_favorite_Brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sapphire Black Brougham d'Elegance 5.7L

Re: 4100? worth rebuilding

No, no one's ever really beefed up a 4100. An engine swap is more cost effective and practical when it comes to such a dog of an engine. I've only heard of two exceptions. One being when folks would get crate motors from the dealer (and from what I've heard they have 'em stacked to the ceiling!). But that doesn't solve it's issues nor give more power. Second, I have heard of companies like Jasper (not them, but someone else) who take the 4100 and rebuild it with the issues resolved (gasket failures, etc.), but that doesn't give it anymore power.

In my opinion, a 250CID engine is wayyyyy too little for a big d-body car. Even the 305/307CID motors are too small. The bare minimum should have been a 350 for any decent power. Hence why the 77-80 cars did so well and the 350 Bros from 90-92. A 5L car does okay, but there's no real power or performance, just enough to get by. And a 4.1L is just unsafe. Honestly, I could never even pass a car on the freeway, and that was in my 307 Bro.

Greg

Cadi_Ken is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I have a 4100 in my 84 coupe DeVille. is a 350 compatible wit the tranny in the 84 or would that need to be swapped out as well

96BIG_BODY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

good to know

rootercycles is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Deville with 4.1

could you get a small block (350) to fit transversely?

LJS1993 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by My_favorite_Brougham View Post
    No, no one's ever really beefed up a 4100. An engine swap is more cost effective and practical when it comes to such a dog of an engine. I've only heard of two exceptions. One being when folks would get crate motors from the dealer (and from what I've heard they have 'em stacked to the ceiling!). But that doesn't solve it's issues nor give more power. Second, I have heard of companies like Jasper (not them, but someone else) who take the 4100 and rebuild it with the issues resolved (gasket failures, etc.), but that doesn't give it anymore power.

In my opinion, a 250CID engine is wayyyyy too little for a big d-body car. Even the 305/307CID motors are too small. The bare minimum should have been a 350 for any decent power. Hence why the 77-80 cars did so well and the 350 Bros from 90-92. A 5L car does okay, but there's no real power or performance, just enough to get by. And a 4.1L is just unsafe. Honestly, I could never even pass a car on the freeway, and that was in my 307 Bro.

Greg
    How much would the 4.1 cost from the dealer? Are they still available? My mother is insisting that I restore her 83 Eldorado which overheated and well, you know the rest of the story.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.