4.9's torque - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9's torque in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; yeah thats a curve alright. looks like over 250 ft-lbs at 2k rpms...
    92EldoTC is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex:'92 ETC 4.9 Current:'91 Sedan Deville 4.9

Re: 4.9's torque

yeah thats a curve alright.
    looks like over 250 ft-lbs at 2k rpms

4.9fiero is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I had heard it was flat, I just didn't realize how flat it was. No wonder it pins me to the seat all the way accross an intersection! It pushes a 2800 Lb car very nicely, and with the weight distribution it just hazes the tires. Fun stuff!

guidematic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 70, 90, 94 Fleetwood; 85, 88 Eldorado

The 4.9 is a wonderful engine to drive. Response is instantaneous, and it stays there.

Now, I have to wonder wehat the torque curve looks like ton the other engines, particularly the 4.5 I have with my '88 Eldo. That engine is also very responsive. But I have eliminated the convertor and running 14BTDC base timing which makes for a nice raspy exhaust and instananeous throttle response.

But, I have to admit, one of the very nicest Cadillacs I drove (other than the 472 in my '70 Fleetwood) is the '91 Eldo Touring coupe. The 4.9 in that light car made for some thrilling driving.

Mike

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by guidematic View Post
    The 4.9 is a wonderful engine to drive. Response is instantaneous, and it stays there.

Now, I have to wonder wehat the torque curve looks like ton the other engines, particularly the 4.5 I have with my '88 Eldo. That engine is also very responsive. But I have eliminated the convertor and running 14BTDC base timing which makes for a nice raspy exhaust and instananeous throttle response.

But, I have to admit, one of the very nicest Cadillacs I drove (other than the 472 in my '70 Fleetwood) is the '91 Eldo Touring coupe. The 4.9 in that light car made for some thrilling driving.

Mike
    One of the biggest reasons the '91 Eldo Touring coupe felt so fast was the different (higher numerical) gear ratio. In addition, they have a quicker steering rack, rear sway bar, larger front sway bar and lower profile/wider tires. I found one of these cars at the junkyard and transfered all these goodies over to my 88 Eldorado except the different gear ratio because that would have involved changing over the transmission. There would have also been a gas mileage penalty which is not good with these astronomical gas prices these days.

The 4.9 has 200 hp while the 4.5 in our Eldorado's has 155 hp. However, the 155 hp in my Eldorado will run circles around the 170 hp 4.1 in my Allante.

Did you notice any power improvements from eliminating the converter? I still have mine on but replaced the stock muffler with a Flowmaster. I also advanced the timing to 13BTDC and run 87 fuel.

Chicano-Mexicano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado Sports Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
    I also advanced the timing to 13BTDC and run 87 fuel.
    I believe if you would advance it to 13BTDC you would have to (and their are no exceptions) run 93 oct or risk severe engine knocking and possible engine failure so if you one of those people that pinch pennies with their 4.9 and run 87 in it (it does require premium to run efficiently and healthily) than advancing the timing is not what you would want to do.

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by Chicano-Mexicano View Post
    I believe if you would advance it to 13BTDC you would have to (and their are no exceptions) run 93 oct or risk severe engine knocking and possible engine failure so if you one of those people that pinch pennies with their 4.9 and run 87 in it (it does require premium to run efficiently and healthily) than advancing the timing is not what you would want to do.
    Nope, I've got one of those early low compression/low horsepower 88/89 4.5 engines. I timed it by listening to it. If I used premium fuel, I probably could get by with even more advance.

guidematic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 70, 90, 94 Fleetwood; 85, 88 Eldorado

The car had the convertor cut out of it when I got it. I sorta saved it from the wreckers. It was far to nice to scrap. The reason why it was going was that the dash was out. I diagnosed it to the CPS module, found one for $25 at the wreckers and it's been fine.

I had a pipe welded in place of the convertor. From previous experience with these cars, it does help in the mid to high range engine speeds where breathing is more important. I know the TBI 4.5's use the smaller port heads, though.

It runs very well on regular 97 octane as well. I have also advanced the timing on my parent's '82 Fleetwood, and it runs much stronger. And on regular.

Mike

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.