4.9 liter vanity cover removal.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 liter vanity cover removal. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi,on the front of the 4.9 litre engine right under the V-8 INSIGNIA there is a black plastic cover that ...
    pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

4.9 liter vanity cover removal.

Hi,on the front of the 4.9 litre engine right under the V-8 INSIGNIA there is a black plastic cover that is attached to the bottom of the front valve cover.I need to know how to remove it since there are spark plug wire guides on the right hand side.
    I want to change spark plug wires and i am having a hell of a time trying to remove the bottom plastic cover.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Re: 4.9 liter vanity cover removal.

ew, I've done it before, If I remember their are 2 or 3 little tabs that hold it to the other plastic covers that you can pop off, then just wiggle it around and it should come off. The wires are actually stuck on the back of the cover IIRC.

I would just fiddle with it and dont force anything. I think it comes off pretty easy I just dont remember exactly how.

It took me 45 minutes to remove it without cracking it.There is a very small hook tab that had to be pressed down and 2 other plastic tabs that i gently pryed out with a screwdriver to release the cover.
    The spark plug wires are routed around outside of the valve cover in plastic guide clips.Getting at the plugs is a royal PITA!

I found out today at my local trusted Meineke service center that replacing plugs and wires is a 3 hour job on my 4.9 liter.They get the back plugs near the firewall from underneath the vehicle.About $200 in labor.They allow me to bring my own AC/DELCO wires and platinum plugs.I got the best deal on them at ADVANCE AUTO CENTER.
    AC/DELCO Plugs-8 platinum: $47
    AC/DELCO WIRES premium: $71
    Total with labor:$318

Considering my local Cadillac dealer wanted $480 for the job,including parts and labor-----i guess Meinekes price is reasonable.I know the mechanics there and they always give me good deal,they`ve even done some work on my '95 Deville for free so i trust them.

Chicano-Mexicano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado Sports Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by pompste View Post
    3 hour job on my 4.9 liter..

I did it my self in about 2 hours the only plug that is a real bitch is plug #8 right along the drivers side firewall.

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Quote Originally Posted by Chicano-Mexicano View Post
    I did it my self in about 2 hours the only plug that is a real bitch is plug #8 right along the drivers side firewall.

Yeah, I have done 6 of mine so far, need to do the back pass and driver side to be finished, got the center 2. What is hard sometimes is opening the clips that route the wires lol

I wanted to do this job myself,at first,until i saw the very tight places where the plugs are located.I`d have to purchase wrenches & extensions basically for a one-time job,not to mention bloody knuckes.I pulled 1 plug out to check it`s condition and i`ve still got scabs on my knuckles 2 weeks later.The mechanics have the necessary tools right at hand and if something goes bad ,like snapping a plug,the vehicle is right in the shop and they are responsible.I made sure the Meineke mechanic has done plug & wire work on the Cadillac 4.9 liter before---so he knows what to expect.
    I may as well get the distributor cap & rotor replaced also.

Chicano-Mexicano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado Sports Coupe

I`d have to purchase wrenches & extensions basically for a one-time job
    Do you not own any other cars or intend to own another in the near future cause if not than this is not a one time job and even under normal circumstances you should replace you plugs at least twice in your cars life time and if you work on your cars than the "wrenches & extensions" would come in handy for other jobs.

I am getting my oil changed tomorrow at the same place (Meineke).While my Caddy is up on the hoist,i will get a good look at how to access the rear plugs from underneath and ask my trusted mechanic to show me what tools he`s used on other 4.9 liter engines to change the plugs with.If it does`nt look like too bad of a job,i may change them myself.I have a set of ramps at home.
    My Caddy has 123,000 miles on it and the plug i pulled 2 weeks ago looked original---but in good shape.
    Meineke allows me to bring in my own oil and filter.They charge me $10 for labor----done deal.

I do have another much newer vehicle that won`t need new plugs for another 85,000 miles.I`d like to keep my 1995 Deville for another 100,000 miles---it`s always been well maintained,but you never know what lays ahead when dealing with older vehicles.

Thanks for responding!

forrest is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 Seville

I just changed the plugs and wires on my 92 Seville (4.9). Actually, I think that the rear plugs aren't too bad, except for #8, if you stand on the passenger side and use your left hand. You'll be doing it by brail and using a short handle ratchet and very short extention for the installation and a longer handled ratchet if needed for removal. A bungie cord or wire around the hoses and such, pulling them forward and out of the way, helps a lot. I use anti-seize compound. I smear it on the threads and then wipe most off by turning the plug in a paper towel or rag. Correct torque? yeah, right, like one can get a torque wrench into play. Speaking of good prices ... I got the platinum Delco plugs (41-902) at Auto Zone for about $6.50 each. I returned them after finding them at "Rockauto.com" for $3.19. I got the Delco wires from them as well for $46. I then Googled for a discount code and got another 5% off. Shipping was $11 but I saved about $9, since they are in Wisconsin and I'm in California and they didn't charge me sales tax.

Quote Originally Posted by forrest View Post
    I just changed the plugs and wires on my 92 Seville (4.9). Actually, I think that the rear plugs aren't too bad, except for #8, if you stand on the passenger side and use your left hand. You'll be doing it by brail and using a short handle ratchet and very short extention for the installation and a longer handled ratchet if needed for removal. A bungie cord or wire around the hoses and such, pulling them forward and out of the way, helps a lot. I use anti-seize compound. I smear it on the threads and then wipe most off by turning the plug in a paper towel or rag. Correct torque? yeah, right, like one can get a torque wrench into play. Speaking of good prices ... I got the platinum Delco plugs (41-902) at Auto Zone for about $6.50 each. I returned them after finding them at "Rockauto.com" for $3.19. I got the Delco wires from them as well for $46. I then Googled for a discount code and got another 5% off. Shipping was $11 but I saved about $9, since they are in Wisconsin and I'm in California and they didn't charge me sales tax.
    Glad you found such a good deal.For some reason Autozone does not carry any AC/DELCO parts at all here in my area of Michigan,so i purchased the new AC/DELCO plugs,wires,distributor cap ,rotor and fuel filter at Advance auto parts.I paid a bit more than you did for 2 reasons:no shipping charges and if any part proves to be defective,i can return it to them locally(just a mile from my house) rather than having to mail the part back and wait for a replacement.

I`ve decided to let my trusted Meineke mechanic install the plugs and wires.I have always changed my own plugs and wires on all my previous vehicles---they were all much easier to access than on my 4.9 liter.While my Caddy was on the hoist for an oil change,the mechanic showed me how to access the rear 4 plugs from under the vehicle.It still looked like a tight squeeze to me,but he said he`s done the same job on other 4.9's.They will charge me 3 hours labor--$204.If he gets it done sooner,the price will drop.

I`ve searched many posts here on the time people spend on changing their own plugs & wires on the 4.9-----varies from 45 minutes(which i do not believe at all) to 4 hours total.Most had bloody knuckles and hands as a result unless they wore mechanics gloves and long sleeves.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I took my sweet time and did it in about 2 hours. It can easily be done in one hour if you've done it before. I'm spoiled using my SK swivel head ratchet (not flex head); I would hate to lose it and change plugs without it. If my overpriced Canon camera still worked I would share a picture of it. It does make it much easier to have the correct tools for the job. No bloody knuckles and no drama.

Yeah, I know what you mean about having to pay shipping charges. Always makes me cringe. As I said, in this instance not having to pay sales tax made that a break even situation. As far as returns, I would worry about that if I were buying a monitor or somthing like that, but not with plugs and wires. How long it takes to do the job depends on weather or not you're in a hurry. I wasn't ... just went down and bought a twelver of cold Coronas (helps with the skinned knuckle pain), put a "Book on Tape" in the player and took my time. The nice thing about doing it yourself is that it gives you a chance to get to know your Caddy better and find small things that are ready to go or small leaks and such. A mechanic, even if you get a good one, isn't going to spend the time to give your engine a complete physical. He's not getting paid to. If the job gets done before the Coronas do, I break out the Armor All and a few rags and pretty her up. I suppose that if I were rich and money were no object, I would have the mechanic do it and I would be out on my yacht fishing with a few 18 year old, libidinous vixens instead. But then, I would probably driving a different car.

My 92 Seville just hit the 200,000 mile mark and, as far as I know, never had the water pump or timing chain replaced. I'm trying to get up the nerve to tackle that job. Maybe after my arms and knuckles heal up a bit. :')

Yeah, I know what you mean about having to pay shipping charges. Always makes me cringe. As I said, in this instance not having to pay sales tax made that a break even situation. As far as returns, I would worry about that if I were buying a monitor or somthing like that, but not with plugs and wires. How long it takes to do the job depends on weather or not you're in a hurry. I wasn't ... just went down and bought a twelver of cold Coronas (helps with the skinned knuckle pain), put a "Book on Tape" in the player and took my time. The nice thing about doing it yourself is that it gives you a chance to get to know your Caddy better and find small things that are ready to go or small leaks and such. A mechanic, even if you get a good one, isn't going to spend the time to give your engine a complete physical. He's not getting paid to. If the job gets done before the Coronas do, I break out the Armor All and a few rags and pretty her up. I suppose that if I were rich and money were no object, I would have the mechanic do it and I would be out on my yacht fishing with a few 18 year old, libidinous vixens instead. But then, I would probably driving a different car.

My 92 Seville just hit the 200,000 mile mark and, as far as I know, never had the water pump or timing chain replaced. I'm trying to get up the nerve to tackle that job. Maybe after my arms and knuckles heal up a bit. :')

I know what you mean about "taking the time to get to know your Caddy better".When i bought my well taken care of 1995 Sedan Deville from my aunt in November '06,i went under the hood quick with detailed eyes and looked for any potential problems---i replaced several hoses myself,zip-tied some plug wires together to keep them off the oil filter and some other "hot spots".I detailed the interior/exterior completely until i was satisfied.
    As i mentioned before,i have always done my own plugs and wires on my previous vehicles--it made me feel good as i know the job was done right--my way.
    This 4.9 liter is definitely the most challenging set-up for plugs/wires i`ve ever seen,the negatives out outweigh the positives for me personally to do this job myself.I know i could do the front four plugs/wires myself-----however if i snap a plug on the rears or simply can`t access them properly,i`d be stuck in my own driveway and would need a tow.I try to have "foresight" on any job under the hood.
    Money is also tight with me these days,as countless others are in this country also.

Good luck with the timing chain and water pump on your Seville---if you take on the challenge.I`ll bet the job does seem easier with some Coronas flowing through the veins! I know i`d be more willing to shove my hands,knuckles and arms into my 4.9`s barely accessible areas "with a slight beer buzz on".

So, I guess you already have the parts. Have you had the job done yet? If not, do it yourself. It REALLY isn't that hard to do. If you've changed plugs before on other vehicles you can do this one. If you break a plug trying to remove it .. no biggie ... the rest of the plug will still come out. No harm, no foul. Just use a plug socket, stubby ratchet with a one inch extension and the new ones will go in with no problem. I actually think that some of the front ones are harder to do. Anywhooo ... nice talking with you and best of luck. Over n' out.

So, I guess you already have the parts. Have you had the job done yet? If not, do it yourself. It REALLY isn't that hard to do. If you've changed plugs before on other vehicles you can do this one. If you break a plug trying to remove it .. no biggie ... the rest of the plug will still come out. No harm, no foul. Just use a plug socket, stubby ratchet with a one inch extension and the new ones will go in with no problem. I actually think that some of the front ones are harder to do. Anywhooo ... nice talking with you and best of luck. Over n' out.
    I`ve got an appointment to get them installed next wednesday at my local Meineke----i`ll let the pros handle THIS job.I like your positive attitude on doing this job on your own.For some reason this job looks like a royal PITA to me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.