Water Pump Tasks ahead
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Water Pump Tasks ahead in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Question all. How hard is it to replace a water pump on the 4.5 Engine (89 Coupe)? What steps are ...
    88_Deville_Executive is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Deville Executive

Water Pump Tasks ahead

Question all.

How hard is it to replace a water pump on the 4.5 Engine (89 Coupe)? What steps are involved and about how long does it take? Is it a "B**ch for lack of a better word. :-)

I have done replacement before on a good ol' Lincoln V8, but this seems alittle more buried.

Any info appreciated

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Re: Water Pump Tasks ahead

There is a torx bolt on the water pump. It is probably the most hated by the 4.* owners bolt. LOL

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

For some reason I think theres 2 of them. I had to buy sockets to take those stupid things out.

rootercycles is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Deville with 4.1

I replaced my water pump in my 4.1 this weekend. toughest job I have ever done on an engine. Have plenty of patience and beer on hand!

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I had to jack my engine up one inch to get some clearance. Some tech posted here a couple weeks ago that they unhook one or two motor mounts on every 4.x that they do and jack it up a few inches. I think that might have saved me some time and I may look into that if I have to do another one. Make sure you have the correct torx bit. A lot of people seem to strip them, but I don't see how because the bolt head is pretty stout. I assume someone at sometime used the wrong bit. Beer and patience are essential because it is a frustrating tedious task but very doable for the average mechanic.

forrest is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 Seville

I need to do my 92 Seville water pump and figure I'll do the chain at the same time. Does anybody know the size of that torx. I tried to tighten them down when my pump was leaking and couldn't find one in my collection. I ended up just inserting the closest one I had and tilted it to where it got a little bit of a bite. It stopped leaking. I'll go buy one, if I know the size. The book doesn't say ... only the torque value.

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

I did this job in a walmart parking lot on my 88 Eldorado. I was lucky that day since I had a spare water pump in the trunk. It took me about 2 hours start to finish and that included buying antifreeze and water to fill up the radiator. The hardest part is removing that torx screws and yes, space is very tight.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.