Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Water Pump Tasks ahead

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Edahall 
#1 ·
Question all.

How hard is it to replace a water pump on the 4.5 Engine (89 Coupe)? What steps are involved and about how long does it take? Is it a "B**ch for lack of a better word. :)

I have done replacement before on a good ol' Lincoln V8, but this seems alittle more buried.

Any info appreciated

Thanks

#5 ·
I had to jack my engine up one inch to get some clearance. Some tech posted here a couple weeks ago that they unhook one or two motor mounts on every 4.x that they do and jack it up a few inches. I think that might have saved me some time and I may look into that if I have to do another one. Make sure you have the correct torx bit. A lot of people seem to strip them, but I don't see how because the bolt head is pretty stout. I assume someone at sometime used the wrong bit. Beer and patience are essential because it is a frustrating tedious task but very doable for the average mechanic.

G
#6 ·
I need to do my 92 Seville water pump and figure I'll do the chain at the same time. Does anybody know the size of that torx. I tried to tighten them down when my pump was leaking and couldn't find one in my collection. I ended up just inserting the closest one I had and tilted it to where it got a little bit of a bite. It stopped leaking. I'll go buy one, if I know the size. The book doesn't say ... only the torque value.

#7 ·
I did this job in a walmart parking lot on my 88 Eldorado. I was lucky that day since I had a spare water pump in the trunk. It took me about 2 hours start to finish and that included buying antifreeze and water to fill up the radiator. The hardest part is removing that torx screws and yes, space is very tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.