90 eldo-possible tranny issue and engine issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 90 eldo-possible tranny issue and engine issue in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi, i am new on this site but i have owned cadillacs for a decade+. besides cadillacs i know a ...
    regalman4925 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

90 eldo-possible tranny issue and engine issue

Hi, i am new on this site but i have owned cadillacs for a decade+. besides cadillacs i know a ton about 78-88 gm g body cars and small block chevys..... i am having a really weird issue with my 90 eldo. the engine has had a issue where it will just kinda cut out randomely when i am driving it which had started maybe 2 years ago then went away and then returned a few months back, i am mentioning this because it may be part of my big problem. i was driving the car one day and all of a sudden about 5 miles from home the car lost every gear and it wwould not go into drive or reverse. i shut the car off and turned it back on, it would drive for about 10-30 seconds and then die, i managed to get home some how and it actually went back to normal before i got it home. the tranny fluid looks horrible, thin and tarnished so i was thinking i have some major issues but here is what i dont get, when it is cold it drives perfect! if i go outside and start it right now i can drive all around and it will shift flawlesly..... i have not driven it far enough to see igf i have the loss of drive issue again because i dont want to get stranded. the car is pushing 140,000 and i bought it at 89000 so i am not sure if the tranny is the original or not..... any ideas???? thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: 90 eldo-possible tranny issue and engine issue

Did the tranny fluid just turn horrible the other day? I hope it's not the original fluid. If you're real lucky maybe the filter is just clogged.

fresh fluid in at least the last 15000 along with filter and gasket....... im thinking about taking it in and having it flushed so i can get all of the gross fluid out of it and fresh stuff in

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Don't flush the tranny. Drop down the pan and empty as much oil as possible, put on a new filter and add oil until it is full.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

You can get rid of ALL ATF by disconnecting return line by the radiator side tank and running engine while in Park for less than a minute.

Wink Re: 90 eldo-possible tranny issue and engine issue

so is there still hope for my tranny? i would have asumed after seeing the fluid that it was shot but then i drive it and it shifts gears perfectly.... thanks for all of the help so far guys!

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Sounds like it's getting starved for fluid or the fluid level is incorrect. Try HUF's method first, or at least drop the pan and change the fluid again. NO FLUSHING!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.