4.1 to 4.5 - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.1 to 4.5 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; So i am not going to be comfortable removeing the springs and rods. Is there any way i could just ...
    nickh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90 sedan deville 87 coupe deville (project)

Re: 4.1 to 4.5

So i am not going to be comfortable removeing the springs and rods. Is there any way i could just swap out the ECM? the engine i have came with the complete wiring harness. So if i could swap out the ecm without swapping out all the wires in the interior that would be awsome.

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by nickh View Post
    Is there any way i could just swap out the ECM? the engine i have came with the complete wiring harness. So if i could swap out the ecm without swapping out all the wires in the interior that would be awsome.
    I don't think so. The 1990 4.5 PFI injection you're going to transplant into your car is a lot different. To do this, you would even need the transmission out of the other car since it used a 4L60E transmission instead of the 440-T4.

Back to what I said earlier. What you need to do is find an intake manifold from a 88/89 4.5 to use on this 90 4.5. It should not cost more than $50, so find one and do it right. Use the TBI off your car and stick it on this 90 engine and the 88/89 4.5 intake manifold. You will then need an adjustable FPR to dial in the correct fuel requirements of this higher performance engine. Skipping this step could very likely result in some severe driveability issues especially on a 90 4.5 PFI engine.

Did you check the link I posted that has all the online service manuals? It shows specifically how to remove the intake manifold.

the link doesnt work. I am pretty sure i know what the intake manifold is. Isnt it pretty much the top of the engine? or is it just the little round part ontop of it. I cant find any good pictures on the internet or my manuals.

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

At the bottom of http://www.fieroaddiction.com/caddy49b.html are a bunch of JPEG scans from a rebuilder article. Read through it.

Try this...

Click on the link to the auto repair reference center about half way down the page.

http://www.sjcpls.org/referencetools3.aspx

fj12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

You don't have to touch the springs. Only the rocker assembly (one unit) has to be unbolted, and then the push-rods are just sitting there loose. If you are no longer driving your '87, take off a valve cover and take the rocker unit out, you'll see how easy it is.

Alright i figured it out. Here is my plan. I am going to strip down my 2 4.1L and take the aluminum blocks to the salvage yard. Anyone have any idea how much the blocks weigh? Depending on how much they will give me for them i may strip down the 90 4.5L and take that to the yard (i will only strip it down if it will pay for my initial cost of the engine). If that wont cover it i will get an intake off of an 89 and do the swap. So i know the intakes and blocks are aluminum so anyone have any idea on how much 1 of the blocks would weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by nickh View Post
    Alright i figured it out. Here is my plan. I am going to strip down my 2 4.1L and take the aluminum blocks to the salvage yard. Anyone have any idea how much the blocks weigh? Depending on how much they will give me for them i may strip down the 90 4.5L and take that to the yard (i will only strip it down if it will pay for my initial cost of the engine). If that wont cover it i will get an intake off of an 89 and do the swap. So i know the intakes and blocks are aluminum so anyone have any idea on how much 1 of the blocks would weigh?
    Why do you want to do this? You already have a 1990 4.5 that should work fine with a little modification.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.