oil change
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, oil change in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i have a 86 deville 4.1L and im goign on my 3rd oil change 3,000 mile and i was wondering ...
    still_walkin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan

oil change

i have a 86 deville 4.1L and im goign on my 3rd oil change 3,000 mile and i was wondering do i need to change my oil filter or im good. i had it changed 6/20/2007 and i was wondering if its necceary to get a oild change every 3000 mile liek these francise oil shops say. i read on a lot of these forums and people are going in the 5-7 range. what do you all suggest

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Re: oil change

Quote Originally Posted by still_walkin View Post
    i have a 86 deville 4.1L and im goign on my 3rd oil change 3,000 mile and i was wondering do i need to change my oil filter or im good. i had it changed 6/20/2007 and i was wondering if its necceary to get a oild change every 3000 mile liek these francise oil shops say. i read on a lot of these forums and people are going in the 5-7 range. what do you all suggest

It is a top priority to CHANGE THE OIL FILTER "EVERY" OIL CHANGE.That is if you care about maintaining your engine.

Changing oil every 3000 miles is good if you use "conventional" oil.
    If you use "synthetic" oil,you can possibly go 5000 miles or more between oil changes---depending on what type/brand of synthetic oil you use.

Wow didn't know that. I changed the oil filter at 102 029 and the current milage is 110 148. I'm I at a danger of blowing a head gasket or something. What is the dangers of not changing your oil filter its been a difference of 8119 miles as of now

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

3000 mile or 3 months oil change is a myth. You need to change it every 3500 miles if you do a lot of short trips. Say, you drive to work every day, which is only five minutes away. Only highway driving may require changing the oil after 7500 miles. Mixed driving is anywhere inbetween. Does not your car equipped with oil l life monitor? The best oil for your old car is Rotella 15W-40.

You cannot blow a gasket because you skipped oil filter change. I do that sometimes intentionally (lazy). The worst thing you can probably do to your engine is neglecting coolant and not adding coolant supplements (Bars Leaks Golden Powder for $1.44 at Wal-Mart). Drain as much as you can every two years and refill with fresh 50/50 mix of green coolant add a tube or two of Bars Leaks to the radiator neck and you'll be fine.

I drive to work 30 miles round trip 5 days a week and let s say 200 total including the five days so that's 50 mile misc. And most of work commute is freeway. I know when the last time the oil filter was changed but there is two oil changes between that (6000) miles. So I guess to cover my tail and not screw up my engine I'm going to get it done and change the filter since I have one laying around. I'm not really good at changing oils on cadillac since the engines made out of aluminuin how to I change the filter . I know where its at . Also what are the symptoms if I need to change my filter and what can not changing your filter end up doing to your engine

warlord is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Seville HT4100 (4.1)

To change the filter just drain the oil and unscrew the filter. You may need an oil filter wrench if it is a bit stubborn, or some people say just hammer a screw driver thru it to get some leverage, since you'll be junking it anyway. If you have changed oil and not the filter, you won't really notice any symptons of a dirty filter except maybe the oil will get dirty quicker. As for not changing it, if it gets too dirty the oil will bypass the filter and any dirt in the oil will be pumped round your engine, not good.
    Oh yes, when removing the filter, put an old rag under it so the oil in the filter dosen't spill over your engine.

Ok thanks for your help

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Depending on your driving, you should change the oil anywhere between 3,000 miles and 5,000 miles. If you're using a good oil filter (say AC Delco), you can change the filter every other oil change but you should drain the oil out of the filter before you refill the engine oil, otherwise you'll have a quart of old oil flowing through the engine.

I would not go any farther on an oil change with a 4.1 engine car. The oil drain back holes are too small, and clog too easily. For piece of mind, I change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles on my cars. A filter is around $4, and since I do it myself, I'd rather just replace it every time for such minimal cost.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.