4.9 water pump
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 water pump in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i am about to replace my water pump on my 4.9. me and my cousin are going to jump on ...
    NellMac4621 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

4.9 water pump

i am about to replace my water pump on my 4.9. me and my cousin are going to jump on it. he's done it before and this is my first time doing it. do any one 1 no how long it should take if person does it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kdcing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado, 4.9L, 200k miles

Re: 4.9 water pump

Quote Originally Posted by NellMac4621 View Post
    do any one 1 no how long it should take if person does it.
    Your question is not worded well and is difficult to understand...it appears that you are asking how long it will take for one person to change the water pump. Is this the correct interpretation?

On my '93 Eldorado w/ a 4.9L, it took about 2 hours to complete the job (including draining and refilling the cooling system). The job is not difficult, however, several of the bolts/nuts are difficult to access because that are very near to the subframe/cradle....just enough space for a small hand. Btw, having a 2nd person will not significantly increase the speed of the replacement as there is only enough space for 1 person to work on it at a time.

noahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 SDV

Agreed. Mine took a little longer, about 4 hours total. I ran into trouble when the head stripped on one of the Torx bolts. I had to drill it with a right angle drill and then tap the block - not fun in that tight space. A Cadillac tech told me it's not all that uncommon, so be very careful when removing the Torx bolts.

If you want to read more about my experience (with pictures) click this link:

http://cadquest.blogspot.com/2007/08...gust-2007.html

NellMac4621 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

thanks a lot for the help. sorry about the wording on my last post I was in a rush. it took me about 4 hours to do it and now i got my baby back

Lithorian is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9 Liter, 1988 Camaro Iroc-Z 5.0 Liter

LOL noa u and I ahd the same problem with the exact same bolt, know what i did to it? I didnt havea right angle drill, so i cut the bastard off! and RTV'd the livin hell out of the area around it, 4000 miles and not a drop of coolant lost!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.