4.9 performance - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 4.9 performance in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by Katshot Whatever path you choose with your car, just realize that the stock engine/transaxle package WILL NOT ...
    Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Re: 4.9 performance

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    Whatever path you choose with your car, just realize that the stock engine/transaxle package WILL NOT handle a significant power increase without SERIOUSLY shortening it's service life. At least the LT1 in stock trim has the basic ability to be a solid foundation for a performance car whereas the Cadillac V8's do not.
    Well, that would be differnt if there were actually performance parts out for the 4.x

That's what I made this thread for, trying to find any sort of performance ideas and differnt things to boost power....but anything that anyone finds will just be alittle bit and not a whole bunch.

if there were as many performance parts for the 4.9 as is the LT1, then yeah, I would start thinking about other components, but there isn't too much.

DeVillish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    so what about using a chip to tell the computer to send more fuel say after porting your heads or bumping up the displacement?

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Can anyone PLEASE describe exactly where the PCV valve is on the 4.9, I need to change it before winter this year! I cannot find it and I have examined both the intake manifold and the valve covers.

look at your distributer and follow your ignition wires to the valve cover toward the fron of the car, it should be right next to the wires on your left(your facing the engine) and across from the dipstick(on your right). If you still cant find it i'll see if i can scan the pic. oh and it plugs into the valve cover.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeVillish
    look at your distributer and follow your ignition wires to the valve cover toward the fron of the car, it should be right next to the wires on your left(your facing the engine) and across from the dipstick(on your right). If you still cant find it i'll see if i can scan the pic. oh and it plugs into the valve cover.
    I tried telling Ralph that over a month ago. Maybe he'll find it by winter

OK, I got my Maglite and looked, I followed the wires, etc. If it is between the dipstick and the left sied of the valve cover, IT MUST be under the plastic covering?! I looked at an angle with the light and all I see are a fuel rail and a lot of injectors. This weekend I will take the black plastic off, as only one bolt seems to hold it on, and see what's under. The pcv seems hard to find because it is under a hose inside the valve cover, right?!

yeah, OHHHH you have the cover that hides the injectors and fuel rail, no wonder you couldnt see it. Take that off and i bet you'll find it in no time. I dont have that on my engine.

I FOUND IT!! :lightbulb Thanks for your info guys. It was on the far right side of the front valve cover once you take the plastic off. :banghead2

cadillackman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panther
    Well, I am saying kinda simple things...... reprograming the ECU seems like it is very time consuming, costs alotta money, requires gear I don't have, and very hard to come by. I am not saying it can't be done, I am just saying, as I was reading it, it seemed very difficult.
    your best bet would be aK&N filter,new feul reg.and free-flow cats&muffler.anything more will murder your transmission. i've got the same car you do and they're pretty darn fast already,till the tranny starts slipping from all the hotrodding!

kgjg8588 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I have gotten the superchip for my cadillac with the 4.9L engine. It had some problems with it so I had to send it back to get a new one but it had a noticable difference. It took a good second off of my quarter mile time. I also have many mods done to my engine. I have a 4.9L engine which normally comes with 16 valves, but mine has 32 valves, just like the northstar. My engine came with this stock, it was a prototype engine built by Cadillac in the late quarters of 1992. Only, i think, 2000 or so were made with the 4.9L 'Northstar'. I also have a Port and Polish done on my heads and i have a performance cam in it. I dont know where to buy these though because the previous owner had put them in. I am looking into mufflers and flowmaster seems like the best option right now. The problem with my chip is that ill put it in, and it will work great, then i turn the car off and when I start it back up, the service engine soon light comes on and my car has absoultly no power at all. It feels like it goes into second gear and then wont shift out. So i put the stock computer chip back in and start the car again, give it a second and the service engine light goes off and the car is fine again. I can put the chip in again and it will work fine until i turn off my car, so i am sending it back to superchips to get it looked at. My car is the 1992 STS and it runs 14.8 in the 1/4 mile. Its 0-60 is somewhere around 5.5s.

ckucia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by kgjg8588
    I have gotten the superchip for my cadillac with the 4.9L engine. It had some problems with it so I had to send it back to get a new one but it had a noticable difference. It took a good second off of my quarter mile time. I also have many mods done to my engine. I have a 4.9L engine which normally comes with 16 valves, but mine has 32 valves, just like the northstar. My engine came with this stock, it was a prototype engine built by Cadillac in the late quarters of 1992. Only, i think, 2000 or so were made with the 4.9L 'Northstar'. I also have a Port and Polish done on my heads and i have a performance cam in it. I dont know where to buy these though because the previous owner had put them in. I am looking into mufflers and flowmaster seems like the best option right now. The problem with my chip is that ill put it in, and it will work great, then i turn the car off and when I start it back up, the service engine soon light comes on and my car has absoultly no power at all. It feels like it goes into second gear and then wont shift out. So i put the stock computer chip back in and start the car again, give it a second and the service engine light goes off and the car is fine again. I can put the chip in again and it will work fine until i turn off my car, so i am sending it back to superchips to get it looked at. My car is the 1992 STS and it runs 14.8 in the 1/4 mile. Its 0-60 is somewhere around 5.5s.
    Do you have any pics of this engine? I've been on a lot of boards discussing the 4.x engines and never heard of such a thing. Are you able to get it to pass emissions? Did it use northstar heads or some other design?

The 4.x (non-Northstar) blocks fit pretty tight against the framerails on the front end. Its difficult to visualize where they would have run the cam chains without seriously reconfiguring the block, although I guess anything's possible with enough time and money.

Its doubtful any standard 4.9 chip is going to work with a 32 valve engine. The breathing would be totally different. Was your chip configured to the specifications of your engine? Where are you going to get parts for it when they wear out, or were stock Northstar parts used?

kgjg8588 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by ckucia
    Do you have any pics of this engine? I've been on a lot of boards discussing the 4.x engines and never heard of such a thing. Are you able to get it to pass emissions? Did it use northstar heads or some other design?

The 4.x (non-Northstar) blocks fit pretty tight against the framerails on the front end. Its difficult to visualize where they would have run the cam chains without seriously reconfiguring the block, although I guess anything's possible with enough time and money.

Its doubtful any standard 4.9 chip is going to work with a 32 valve engine. The breathing would be totally different. Was your chip configured to the specifications of your engine? Where are you going to get parts for it when they wear out, or were stock Northstar parts used?
    The engine looks quite stock, i was quite doubtful myself, then i got it checked out by my mechanic and it defenatly has the 32 valves like a northstar. I told the guy at the place where i ordered my chip that it has 32 valves and he said that it wouldnt matter how many valves it has or anything like that, just had to know the size of the engine. That is the 4.9L so i ordered that chip. Parts is a big problem to deal with, i have looked all over for this type of engine and i cant find anything on the internet. My mechanic has heard of this engine and he told me of this and explained everything to me on the 32 valves. Stock northstar parts really cant be used because of the fact that it is a 4.6L it has Dual-Over Head Cams and its Multi-port fuel injection. Most of the parts needed can be used from a stock 4.9L, things like the water pump and the power-steering pump, and idle-tensioner pulleys and all of the such. I also didnt think it was much of a northstar, but it is a lot faster then any other 4.9L.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

it must have a fork type rocker arm to actuate 4 valves per cyalnder , the valves covers should look quite a bit diffrent , it would also require the plugs to be moved from there current location in the head to a more "hemi" type postion

what tranny does it have ? couldnt be the 4t65e as it wouldnt take the powerband of a 4 valve 4.9 which should make in the neiborhood of 255 hp and 300+ lb feet of torque

its odd a customer would have gotten hold of such a car , only thing i can figure was caddy felt northstar wasnt ready yet and needed to test the rest of the northstar system so when the engine was ready it could go right into production , all of those cars should have been test mules , and crushed later on

sounds like a cool engine , i want pics , so i can keep my eye out in the junkyard for it

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    I dunno, soulnds strange to me..... the 4.9 and N* are 2 completly differnt engines...it really isn't like you can turn a pushrod into a DOHC overnight.....

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

no i think he said the n* is diffrent from his due to the overhead cams so its still pushrod

i belive the chevy porcupine head V8 int he mid 60s was a 32 valve pushrod v8 , it seems thats how it got its name

and 4 valves per cylander on a pushrod engine is nothing new detroit diesel has been doing that for 40 years on its 2 strokes, even the injectors on detroits ran off of a pushrod/rocker arm

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.