1994 Sedan Deville questions...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 1994 Sedan Deville questions... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am new to the Cadillac world, this being my first one. It's a 1994 Deville, 4.9l. Right now, the ...
    Johnnycat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Arrow 1994 Sedan Deville questions...

I am new to the Cadillac world, this being my first one. It's a 1994 Deville, 4.9l. Right now, the engine idles steadily at like anywhere from 2,000 to 3,500 rpm. I can hit the throttle and make it change, sometimes. Is this a common description that there's a clear cut answer to?

Also, my drivers side window seems really weak. It seems like the circuit breaker blows very easily. The switch has been sticking but I usually catch it and force it to release, but sometimes I blow the breaker.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to learning more about this fine car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Mr

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnycat View Post
    I am new to the Cadillac world, this being my first one. It's a 1994 Deville, 4.9l. Right now, the engine idles steadily at like anywhere from 2,000 to 3,500 rpm. I can hit the throttle and make it change, sometimes. Is this a common description that there's a clear cut answer to?

Also, my drivers side window seems really weak. It seems like the circuit breaker blows very easily. The switch has been sticking but I usually catch it and force it to release, but sometimes I blow the breaker.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to learning more about this fine car.
    Welcome to the forum! You will find many helpful and knowledgeable members here.I know i have found many indeed!

I have a 1995 Sedan Deville,4.9 litre and when the engine is warm mine idles at around 1650-1700 rpm firm.Check your idle when the engine is warm.2000-3500 rpm is a bit erratic----it should not fluctuate that much.
    Your window may need some white lithium grease sprayed in the window channels when the window is down.The better way to do it is to remove the door panel to do a more thorough spraying of the channels.

I love the body style of the 1994-1996 Sedan Devilles-----wider in the middle and tapering towards the ends (whale body),along with the partially skirted rear fenders really makes it a classy looking ride.The 4.9 litre engine was one of the best engines ever made specifically for Cadillac,(if well maintained).

Any more questions will be welcome here.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Re: 1994 Sedan Deville questions...

An warmed up engine should idle around 600 RPM. You probably have a bad idle speed control motor (ICM).

Brizzal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    An warmed up engine should idle around 600 RPM. You probably have a bad idle speed control motor (ICM).
    i agree, i had the same problem before, try tapping the ICM and see if it settles or if you hear grinding

[QUOTE=pompste;1387829]Welcome to the forum! You will find many helpful and knowledgeable members here.I know i have found many indeed!

I have a 1995 Sedan Deville,4.9 litre and when the engine is warm mine idles at around 600-650 rpm firm.Check your idle when the engine is warm.2000-3500 rpm is a bit erratic----it should not fluctuate that much.
    Your window may need some white lithium grease sprayed in the window channels when the window is down.The better way to do it is to remove the door panel to do a more thorough spraying of the channels.

I love the body style of the 1994-1996 Sedan Devilles-----wider in the middle and tapering towards the ends (whale body),along with the partially skirted rear fenders really makes it a classy looking ride.The 4.9 litre engine was one of the best engines ever made specifically for Cadillac,(if well maintained).

Any more questions will be welcome here.

Sorry,i mistakenly noted my warm idle rpm as between 1650-1700 firm,that is my cold idle rpm.I have corrected my warm idle speed listed above to between 600-650 rpm.

Re: 1994 Sedan Deville questions... Door Panel Removal

Thanks for all of your help.

My next question is, are there any special tricks or tips you can pass along for removing the door panel to grease the window. I do not want to damage it because this car is in way too good of shape for that.

Also, does anyone else's heater seem to be lacking. It should be warmer I would think, it's a Cadillac. It never seems to really warm up in there. Granted, it does have nothing but leather and it's exremely cold in Ohio this time of year, but my other vehicles do much better.

Any suggestions.

I'm going to try to post some photos soon

Thanks again...

Re: 1994 Sedan Deville questions... Door Panel Removal

Thanks for all of your help.

My next question is, are there any special tricks or tips you can pass along for removing the door panel to grease the window. I do not want to damage it because this car is in way too good of shape for that.

Also, does anyone else's heater seem to be lacking. It should be warmer I
    would think, it's a Cadillac. It never seems to really warm up in there. Granted, it does have nothing but leather and it's exremely cold in Ohio this time of year, but my other vehicles do much better.

Any suggestions.

I'm going to try to post some photos soon

Thanks again...
    You`re welcome.

Let us know the amount of mileage on your Deville.I would only remove the door panel AS A LAST OPTION.Try this easier way first--it helped my driver door window to glide smoother:Get the window in the "down" position,the white lithium grease spray can should come with a long red nozzle--direct the spray from the nozzle into the window guide paths(both sides),put a rag around the end of the nozzle while spraying to prevent any sprayback on interior/exterior surfaces.Run the window up/down several times(there may be some residual white grease on the window edges for some time)---let it stay on the edges for a week or so.Since you live in Ohio,wait for a warmer day to apply the grease.I live in Michigan so i know how cold it gets in this neck of the woods.
    Others may chime in with other types of lubricants to apply,the white lithium worked best for me.

Check the amount of coolant in your recovery tank---this time of year in Ohio it should be to the "full cold" line on the tank,if not fill it to that line with the green coolant & water(50/50 mix).It may also be your thermostat.

I get great heat from my 4.9 litre. It is wise to periodically check for any fluid leaks on the ground after the vehicle sets for some time.Any green fluid is coolant(anti-freeze).

When i greased my window channels,i was amazed at how really thick the window glass is on these particular Caddy`s--much thicker glass than any other vehicle i`ve owned so far.

Post those pictures when you can!

HUF

Clogged heater cores are common. You can disconnect heater hoses under the hood and flush backflush teh core with a garden hose. Read up the archives, tons of info on idle and heat problems.

Where are the circuit breakers for the window motors. Do these wear out after abuse, like a switch that sticks and forces overheat often. I did the grease job on the windows with no success. I'm going to try a new motor tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I guessing something's wrong with the circuit breaker for that window motor.

I'm going to install a new thermostat and flush the core out tomorrow also.

Thanks

Window needed a new motor, problem fixed. Idle speed control motor replacement fixed problem.

Thanks Guys

HUF

Cool.

Window needed a new motor, problem fixed. Idle speed control motor replacement fixed problem.

Thanks Guys
    Glad to know your window and idle are fixed.

Did you do the repairs yourself?

Yeah, I'm a mechanic

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.