Coupe Deville 4.5 Rough Running - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, Coupe Deville 4.5 Rough Running in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I went thru all the original papers. The car has a major tune up back in 06. Since that time ...
    88_Deville_Executive is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Deville Executive

Re: Coupe Deville 4.5 Rough Running

I went thru all the original papers. The car has a major tune up back in 06. Since that time the car went from 106K miles to now which is 115K miles. I think they are all in fairly decent cond?.

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Are the plugs & wires AC Delco??? A lot of people have reported problems with other brands. Yes, do replace the coil. You might try misting the wires at night and looking very closely for any sparking that might be occuring.

When you say misting, you mean taking a bottle of water and basically misting the wires to see anything?

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

It's got a fairly recent tune up, and hesitates or weak on power and smells like sulfer.........hmmm............I wonder if that catalytic converter is original? It's starting to sound like the cat is clogging. If it's the cat, it may gradually get worse but you could keep driving it until it starts glowing or something. A clogged cat will alter your vacuum but I can't remember if it makes it way high or way low. You could take out a couple of the easy spark plugs to see what they look like. Keep us posted and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 88_Deville_Executive View Post
    When you say misting, you mean taking a bottle of water and basically misting the wires to see anything?
    Exactly

I am going to try and make it into a muffler shop tonight. They will do a test on it. I think its original - looks like it.. but of course that does not say much. It it requires replacement. The person quoted me 189 for the complete job (labor and all) so we shall see.

Thanks all. Will keep you updated.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

If they say it's not clogged, I'd really check that coil if your plugs/wires are new. It sounds like your car is running rich. If the temp sensor isn't reading too cold, and the MAP is reading vacuum correctly, there's really no reason for it to run rich.

So folks, I drove my car out there tonight to get the estimate done. He put it up in the air... He did not conn. anything to it, but claims based on how it started and the condition of the cat. it WAS bad and was causing the backlow, etc.

I thought they might have done a slightly more thorough inspection but I don't do exhaust so I could tell ya less.

He quoted me a price of 290.00

Does this sound right? I might call another place tomorrow for a 2nd quote.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Well, the cat itself is probably $150 in parts alone. With the rest of the exhaust, that's probably $200 + 1 hr to do it. Sounds reasonable to me.

I doubt that your CAT is causing your engine to miss. But before you spend all that money, do a back pressure test first. Or if the mufflers guys are so sure that your CAT is the problem, draft an agreement and have them sign it that you won't owe them anything except the cost of parts if installing a new CAT doesn't fix the problem.

I called another muffler place and they gave me a quote of 189 for the complete (+ Labor) replacement of the cat. I asked them if this WAS the price, since the last place - one guy on the phone gave me the same quote.. but when I went in - with nothing extra - quoted me 110 extra. I told this shop they just looked at it, etc.

This place recommended I bring it in. Cost will be 189 AND they will do a pressure test, etc... so I feel more comfortable about spending the dough if I need to. Will let you know what I find out.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.