What should I do, buy or walk? 89 Coupe Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, What should I do, buy or walk? 89 Coupe Deville in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok, went to a dealer recently and looked at a 89 Coupe Deville. Only 115K miles, drives really quiet, nice, ...
    88_Deville_Executive is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Deville Executive

What should I do, buy or walk? 89 Coupe Deville

Ok, went to a dealer recently and looked at a 89 Coupe Deville. Only 115K miles, drives really quiet, nice, except for a busted right front fender which I can replace for cheap at the auto yard, I noticed the thing is really running funky.

Idles nice, quiet, but when you step on the gas, its really sluggish, and rough running... not totally gutless but very lacking in power. Seems to be alot of carbon around the tailpipe and when revving it up.. smelly exhaust, but not the egg smell like the cat would be failed. I am trying to decide.... buy it for 600 bucks or just walk away. Its been on the dealer lot and it was part of a larger auction purchase... so he got it for free, but won't sell it for less due to a wrecker offering him some amount, blah blah blah.

Anyways.. I have heard anything from a basic tune-up to a cat replacement or injector issue. I want to get a lower mileage car, and the price seems right, but don't wanna get into something over my head. Some help in making my decision would really help me out...

89 Coupe Deville
    4.5 Engine

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Re: What should I do, buy or walk? 89 Coupe Deville

Just check the codes and take it for a good test drive. I just went through a similar incident of getting a decent decent deal on a 93. Did a full tuneup and had it good for a month or so, now my breaks are sticky and drag constantly killing my gas mileage. Just be careful and take precautions like good test drives before hand.

If its a 2ndd car, or you have another car that runs reliable and free time $600 is hard to beat for a little project

Brizzal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

if you want it as a project, then i say go for it. but remember why they call it a project car....

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Probably just lots of carbon build-up

SlxAlxx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

That was the case with my '89. I ran in on the interstate at wide open throttle for about 40 miles, and it ran like new. No more smoke, better gas mileage, easier starting, and much quieter running.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

Just be careful...you want to make sure that it isn't a flat cam. My 85 Deville had 6 flat lobes, and it still idled nicely, it just was gutless. If the intake gasket blew, it may have fried the cam, and the valves may be sticking.

I personally would put it toward a nicer 85-87 with low miles as these don't go for much--I just picked up another 85 Deville with 48k miles for $900+$450 shipping. Runs like new and drives like a dream.

88_Deville_Executive is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Deville Executive

Thanks all for the reply.

I went out there yesterday and did some more checking. I noticed all the paper work for it for the past 7-8 years atleast was in the glove... and lots of work has been done to it - maint. and replacements, etc. Probably owned by an older gentlemen. I spoke with the dealer and WITH title xfer only am going to actually pay 555. So, while it WAS 600 + would have had to pay an additional 105 for title xfer - I am still saving some cash.

I am going to get it tomorrow night and will probably be on in the next few weeks once I learn more. The bright side is I have currently my 88 Deville with the same motor just higher mileage so I think I have something for potential "test" parts, etc.

Thanks for the input!

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Good luck with it!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.