heat issues!!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, heat issues!!!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; sorry if this has already been covered in the forums but i've been searching for hours and couldnt find anything. ...
    gmp428 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Brougham

heat issues!!!!

sorry if this has already been covered in the forums but i've been searching for hours and couldnt find anything. heres my issues:
    i have no heat. air blows from the dash and the floor but it doesnt get hot at all. i went to the hobby shop on base today and the first thing i checked was the blend door. it worked. the next thing i checked was the coolant and it was low and there was a lot of rust inside. so one of the guys who worked there told me to turn on the car and top off the radiator. after a couple of minutes of idling i noticed that the radiator was spilling out coolant. he saw steam coming out but thought it might be emissions so we tested the air with one of those things that sucks in air and the liquid inside changes color if hydrocarbons are present. everything was fine(thank god). so by the presence of the rust we then took of the hose going to the radiator and examined the thermostat and it was stuck. i replaced that which solved the whole gushing coolant issue with the cap off. but i still have no heat. could the heater core be clogged with some rust????? also how do i go about flushing out as much of the rust as possible??? any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: heat issues!!!!

sorry, forgot!!!
    1992 fleetwood. with a 4.9

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Maybe that "rust" is the coolant sealant tabs that is recommended in Cadillacs. Try feeling the hoses going to the heater core to see if they are warm.

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Get 10 gallons of distilled water from the local grocery (it's usually sold in 2.5 or 5 gal containers). Get a jar of Prestone flush treatment. Get a package of the Stop Leak brown powder tablets (about the diameter of a quarter, but half inch thick).

Completely drain your radiator, and follow the directions on the prestone flush bottle for the flush cycle. Use the distilled water, and make sure your heater valve is open and running on full heat.

After the flush cycle is done, disconnect the heater hoses. Get a garden hose and GENTLY release water into the heater hose until it comes out clear on the other side, then repeat for the other side. Go back and forth until you don't get any goop out of your heater core.

Drain the cleaning solution out of your system and run a plain distilled water rinse cycle.

Drain the rinse, then change the thermostat and refill with correct coolant. Add three of the tablets. Cycle the engine until the air is gone and you're done.

thanks!!!!! i appreciate all the help. right now i don't have any of those brown tablets in the coolant. i dont plan doing any hard core driving. just a couple of miles everyday until the hobby shop opens back up on thursday. should i just keep her parked or is it alright. also does anybody have any pics where to find the to/from hoses for the heater core. or even a very good description of where to find them.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

What's wrong with the hoses to the heater core?

Instead of tablets you can buy Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder in tubes. $1.44 at Wal-Mart. You need two of them. It's the same stuff made by the same company which makes the tabletts.

theres nothing wrong with the heater hoses. or at least i hope. i just wanted to know where they were so i can flush the core. lets say the core is clogged. how much of a PITA is it to get it out???

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by gmp428 View Post
    theres nothing wrong with the heater hoses. or at least i hope. i just wanted to know where they were so i can flush the core. lets say the core is clogged. how much of a PITA is it to get it out???
    The red arrows show the heater hoses which go through the firewall to the heater core. You can disconnect the upper one from the heater valve (plastic T) and the lower one close to the arrow. Flushing AND backflushing is easy, but my heater core started leaking after the procedure... Had to replace with all metall one for $30. It's is doable, but yes it is PITA.

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

If you look to the back corner of the engine bay on the passenger side you will see a junction of 3 hoses, one comes from the engine and into a fiting, one leaves the fitting and goes straight down, the other goes toward the pass side. disconnect the 2 that exit the fitting and flush those.When I did mine I had to use a air compressor to blow the junk out since a garden hose wasnt cutting it.

I still have no heat though. Replaced my tstat, flushed heater core and radiator and filled with new coolant/water and tabs.

I heard vinegar is a good flush solution aswell.

The air output i get is same as ambient temp which is real cold. Guess maybe the blend door is my problem.

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

If the heater core inlet and outlet hoses are hot to the touch then there is a good chance that the hearer core is also hot (and working properly). If you still get no heat in the car then it must be somethign else (like the blend door).

Peteski

medicz28 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 SDV / 94 Z28 Conv. 355

Like behind-bars mentioned, check (or just replace the T-stat) I also had no heat and would lose coolant when I turned the heat on. Could not figure out or find the leak till I was going down the interstate and smelled coolant shortly followed by the overheat light and massive amounts of steam from under the hood. The T-stat broke in half, it was a micro tear that, I guess doesn't show leakage till the RPM's where turned up. Anyho, 30$ (can only find at dealer) it was fixed. I no longer lose coolant and the heat works just fine.

Well my issue continues.

Things Ive done...

-Flushed the radiator
    -Flushed the heater core and blew the blockage out with an air compressor
    -Replaced the T-Stat with a195 degree one, Plus new gasket
    -Checked the blend door, it changes directions fully when going from 60 to 90 on the climate control
    -Used new 50/50 coolant mix to refill
    -Replaced the T-Fitting with the proper one with restrictor properly oriented

No apparent leaks in the engine bay or cabin. But when i set it at 90 It still blows cold air out and never heats the car up inside at all

What am I missing? Fuses maybe?

put your hand on the heater hoses and see if they get warm

did you have the heat on full hot when you flushed the core? you'd be better off with water instead of air btw.

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    put your hand on the heater hoses and see if they get warm

did you have the heat on full hot when you flushed the core? you'd be better off with water instead of air btw.
    On the 20 minute drive to school today I set it at 90 and still never blew warm air, when i got to school the air at the floor wasnt cold, but not hot by any means. The coolant temp was in the 93-95 range after 20 mins of driving.

I checked the hoses once I parked. All 3 were about the same temp which was pretty hot, none were noticeably colder then the others.

I did flush with some water, but it wasn't strong enough. The coolant had been neglected by the previous owner and the core was pretty blocked up. If i put water in one hose it never came out the other, just backed up out the hose i put it in. To fix that I blew into each hose and the old coolant and a bunch of debris came out the other hose. It took alot of air to blow it clean, then i flushed with water.

If I had to guess I would think the core may be bad, But it doesn't leak inside the car and all 3 hoses at the T are hot, so I am in no hurry to pull it out and replace it unless I can rule out everything else.

Any other things I can test?

Heater control valve probably

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.