I really need help, please!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, I really need help, please! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Are the speed seonsors / governors mated with the transmissions? My tranny came off of a 1988 caddy fleetwod with ...
    caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

I really need help, please!

Are the speed seonsors / governors mated with the transmissions? My tranny came off of a 1988 caddy fleetwod with 4.5, i have an 87 dveille with 4.1. teh governors and speed sensors on both different, when i installed the 4.1 governor in the 4.5 tranny my speedo would jump from 0 to 4, back to 3, then to 5, back to 0, and so on, and the speed wouldn't be accurate at all. So i thought ok, maybe i'll put the 4.5 governor/speed sensor back in, the connector wires were same colour, but the plugs were slightly different, so i did it anyway. NOW, when i'm rolling in drive idleing, it says i'm going liek 50 km an hour, and if i go about 40km/h it says i'm going 250km/h, when i do city speed, about 40MPH (60, 70km/h), it stays at 0, my mileage jumped 2500 kilometers in 2 days, WTF!!! help me out here please. I'll make a video tonight, so check back. Because of this my tranny doesn't shift right, i'm really pissed off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ehall is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1985 Sedan DeVille

Re: I really need help, please!

I suspect you have different transmissions. wiki

One unique feature of [the 440-T4] transmission is its use of both a modulator valve and a throttle valve (TV) cable. Most transmission either use one or the other to control shift points and shift smoothness. On the Turbo 440-T4, the TV cable exclusively controls the shift points, while the modulator valve controls the shift feel. This feature makes it very easy for a home, "shadetree" mechanic to adjust the transmission shift points with minimum affect on the shift feel.

The 440-T4 was later renamed the 4T60.

The electronically-controlled 4T60-E was introduced in 1988. By 1991, all 4-speed front wheel drive automatic GM cars used this unit. It would become the basis of the GM 4T65 transmission, still used today.
    Looking at my '85 FSM it shows the speedo module connecting to the speedo gear with a simple ring (an O ring?), and a retainer holding it to the governor. I assume this allows the gears to be changed while keeping the speedo module.

If they are different trannies then I would think you'd have to use the module for your computer. However the governor is probably generating a different signal if one of them is electronic and the other is mechanical.

caddeville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi

Re: I really need help, please!

hhmm, both trannies use a modulator valve and a TV cable, but i am going to put my other governor back in, this is just rediculous,

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.